OKW Mousekeeping standards

sarahluvsdisney

Earning My Ears
Hi everyone,

I have just returned home from a trip to OKW in a 1 bed unit 2924.
I will probably get flamed for this post but I have to say the cleanliness in the units at OKW is slipping.
Here was my findings :

Hair all over bathroom floor - not mine or DH
The tiles beneath the cupboard doors in the bathroom were grimy - I am being polite here.
thick dirt on the back of the bedroom and bathroom doors.
floor behind toilet had not seen a proper clean in months.

I could go on.

Now I realise that the time mousekeeping has between guests sometimes is very tight and of course I would not expect these things to be done on every clean - the poor mousekeepers would be in each room for an eternity, but it was quite obvious that it had been weeks since the tiles,doors etc have been done. This is not just in one unit - I have been checking this out for at least 5-6 of my previous visits - in studios and 1 bed units over the past year - and I am afraid to say it is not getting better.
I did not complain or asked to be moved rooms as I was there for the weekend and I was not on the room that much - however I think I will email member services as I am sure they would want to know what members think about their experiences.
Does anyone else feel the same.??

I think the time to complain about the issue is when you are there.

Because of posts like yours, I do look gingerly at a villa, just to see if anything is amiss. We stayed in June in a 1 bedroom OKW and it was wonderfully kept up, clean and I would say perfect, except we needed a cutting board.

Bobbi :)

Maybe you should e-mail or snail mail MS and let them know what you found. Just for informational purposes.

I hope our studios are decent when we check in on Sunday.

I am taking my sister and my cousin and her daughter for the first time. I don't ever expect anything to be perfect and I let a few things (depending on situation) slide. I don't want to do a major cleaning though and of couse, without saying, we all want to impress our guests just a bit. I always go with the attitude that I will have a great time and look for the positives.

I also think it is important to let them know. They will never think there is a problem if we don't complain (politely) while there. I am sure housekeeping has their own meetings/updates/reminders of their duties, etc.

Can't wait. Getting close :goodvibes

Sorry you had a less than perfect room.

Have to say that OKW has always been stellar in terms of cleanliness for us. DH skeeves EVERYTHING so the first thing he does whenever we arrive is a full inspection.

While not an excuse by any means, I do believe there are cm shortages & cutbacks. I could see where, particularly during the busy summer months, it would become increasingly difficult for mousekeeping to give each villa all the attention it deserves. Not to mention the fact that the vast majority of us want our rooms to be available the moment we check in.

That being said, I think it is important to let MS know what you found & that you were less than pleased. The powers that be could easily be thinking, "Well nobody's complained so nobody must be noticing".

I do think we have a resonsibility to hold DVC & WDW to a higher standard. It is, after all, our home.

By the way, I think the maitenance/mousekeeping at WDW as a WHOLE have suffered over the last few years.

By the way, I think the maitenance/mousekeeping at WDW as a WHOLE have suffered over the last few years.
I totally agree with this. We have seen a decline in the level of cleanliness at OKW and ALL WDW locations in the past year or two. I think one of the main issues at OKW was when we lost our wonderful chief housekeeper who had been there from the beginning to SSR when it opened.

I saw exactly the same thing at our one bedroom at BWV this past May (except for the hair on the bathroom floor). The doors in particular were filthy, that white woodwork is easy to keep clean but if its not kept up it looks grimy and gross. Also our shower was so in need of some major refurb it wasn't funny. I had chlorox wipes with me so I did a little cleaning myself but I should have complained to mgmt instead. Don't get me wrong, BWV was wonderful and the unit was lovely, staff was great but our feeling was that it needed some TLC and elbow grease. Sounds like OKW might need the same.

I usually check out any hotel room I stay in when I first arrive.

If something is not acceptable, I call the appropriate person right then, and have the situation rectified.

just came back from okw. where do i begin. there was hair on the bathroom floor and the toilet was disguesting. the couch and loveseat were so filthy that you could not sit on them. after contacting housekeeping and really getting no action i complained to the front check in. i took 3 days of back in forth with the front desk and house keeping to get the room where we could at least stay in it. they replaced the furniture with couches that had been in smoking rooms. my luck they only have 3 rooms for smoking and i get there couch and loveseat! by now we are livid. 2 more days to get different furniture. towels were never replaced on trash and tidy day. trash was never emptied. we have been members since 1992 and have never had this happen. they really should make sure that their mousekeepers are doing through cleanings between guests. we were really grossed out. food under couches and under the couch cushions. empty soda cups stickey kitchen floor with food stuck to etc. i could go oin and on. they sent the mousekeeper back and she comes in with a dry towel and a bottle of liquad. two minutes later she was done. still gross. when you are on vacation you dont feel like having aggrevation dealing with housekeeping and check in back and forth.!
laura

Maybe something is happening we are unaware of with Mousekeeping at OKW. WE too had some not so nice issues while there in July/August!! We have been members for quite a while and never had mousekeeping problems like we did this past trip!!

I really hope it is just an issue that will be resolved sooooooooonnnn!! I LOVE OKW!!

:wave2:

Hi Everyone, a little late but I just wanted to say that OKW did not disappoint us. Our studios were not only ready at 1 pm and 1:30 pm, but they were absolutely spotless (okay one small stain on carpet by one of the beds) and no mold/mildew in bathrooms.

I thought mousekeeping was out-sourced a couple years ago. It seems that this is when things really started doing downhill. I have found that management is not all too quick to respond to mousekeeping issues.

I usually try to run through the room with wipes and lysol before my DH has the chance to find the really nasties.

We have however, been very lucky with our last couple stays at BWV and OKW. The rooms have been in great shape. I have my fingers crossed for our Nov. trip.

Disney Doll said:
I usually check out any hotel room I stay in when I first arrive.

If something is not acceptable, I call the appropriate person right then, and have the situation rectified.

I check the room, too, upon my arrival, making sure it's clean and everything is in working order. If not, I'm on the phone.

sarahluvsdisney, Unfortunately I met the same dirt (I am being kind here) in our 1 bed room vila at BWV (room 4001) from Aug-20-2006 through Aug-25-2006. I politely complained to the front desk twice and nothing was done either time - we ended up cleaning the room ourselves. Here is a rundown of what we found - dried up toothpaste on the floor of the bathroom, hair on the floor, in the shower, on the sink, everywhere, mold and mildew in the shower stall, cracked tiles at the bottom of the shower stall, and here was the topper - food on the floor in the living room (not just little crumbs but whole pieces of cinnamon swirls cereal under the breakfast counter - how can you miss these when cleaning they are about a half inch across). Needless to say, I have e-mailed member services after getting no reply from the staff at BWV and we will not return to the BWV (this is a real shame because we really loved the location and the view can not be beat but the dirt was hard to overlook). Oh I did not even mention how dirty the halls were - an example is there was a wad of gum in the corner for over 3 days. Prior to checking into BWV we spent 7 nights in SSR and have zero complaints and nothing but praise for every aspect of our stay.

We were at OKW 7/24 - 7/31 and the mousekeeping was wonderful...in fact everything was great!

When we stayed at OKW this past March we also found our room uncharacteristically dirty. I was really surprised because in our years of staying there we have NEVER had a problem. There was hair all over the floor in the studio-side bathroom and a good deal of hair in the shower. The toilet was not very clean. In the Master bath the sink was full of gritty stuff and we concluded that the sink had somehow backed up and left a mess afterward. There was a bad smell coming from the garbage disposal in the kitchen sink. The rug was stained and frayed and the furniture even looked kind of worn, although that wear and tear bugged me less than the hair and dirt. Even the laundry room floor was dirty and hairy!

I called housekeeping and maintenance and they came and re-cleaned while we went to dinner. The plumber came and flushed out the pipe problem and he was awfully nice. I now prepare myself at ANY Disney check-in because the housekeeping is undeniably spotty. Our rooms are USUALLY really clean but a dirty one is unfortunately no longer unheard of.

I also pack Lysol spray and wipes and go to town on the bathroom fixtures, clickers, and doorknobs the minute we enter the room because I no longer believe the rooms really ARE clean.

sounds like a carbon copy of my okw stay. same stuff. food on the kitchen floor that you couldnt miss. bathroom had the same grime and mildew!!!!! granted at okw its older then other "homes" but its the everyday cleaning that is completely not kept up. i think that what also bothers me is that after repeatedly complaining they would do something about the mousekeepers they have. and may i say that i heard ALOT of people talking the same TRASH about there accomidations. dont get me wrong i still think that okw is great. it is the most relaxing place ever. just get those mousekeeping kinks out.

I think the time to complain about the issue is when you are there.

Because of posts like yours, I do look gingerly at a villa, just to see if anything is amiss. We stayed in June in a 1 bedroom OKW and it was wonderfully kept up, clean and I would say perfect, except we needed a cutting board.

Bobbi :)
what bldg/room did you stay in? we are planning a trip in nov and want to stay at okw but are trying to find out if some rooms are better kept than others
thanks

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter