OKW or AKL with 3 year old and 1 year old

hhbettymu

Earning My Ears
Hello! For our trip this year we are looking at DVC rentals. In the past couple years we have stayed at Saratoga springs resort (we had actually booked at all star music and were UPGRADED for free to a 1 bedroom at ssr, talk about pixie dust!) and then at pop century. For our September trip this year I am looking at OKW studio or AKL studio standard view. I am so far leaning toward OKW, I really enjoyed the laid back feeling of ssr and I feel like they are similar. We plan on utilizing pool areas and will also be back in the room everyday for afternoon naps for the kids. I’m curious to hear others experiences at these resorts, especially when it comes to the bus systems. Thanks!!

I would go with okw and maybe visit the public animal viewing areas at all at some point if that sounds like fun.

While we usually have a car, the okw buses are better in our experience than the akl buses.

Though I know nothing of breaks. We didn’t even take those at Disneyland when ds was little. Ok we did once and it was miserable.

I’ve had a wonderful experience at OKW as an adult pre-kids but have not stayed there since. Our most recent trip we stayed at Kidani with our 2yo DD. She loved that we “lived at the zoo!”

The pool at Kidani had an incredible kids splash play area. Our DD could have stayed there for hours. As a Jambo House Guest you can access the Kidani pool. There is a shuttle van that runs between the two parts of the resort.

We really enjoyed Kidani but we also had a savanah view. If staying standard, Jambo may be a better choice as there are many standard rooms that still have partial views. Kidani also doesn’t have the lobby experience or food options available at Jambo.

Only a few of the buildings at OKW have elevators. The rest of the buildings have stairs only, and most of those buildings are three stories high. You can request a ground floor but it is not guaranteed.

The studios at OKW are huge, with two queen beds, while the studios at AKL would have one queen and a sofa bed. But with two young children I think AKL would be a lot more convenient than OKW.

AKL. We have found the bus service there to be better than OKW, but that contradicts a pp. it’s probably luck of the draw. The rooms are newly renovated and just lovely. Pool is fantastic, the community hall is conveniently located off the lobby.

I don’t mind OKW, we are booked there in April, but I stay there when everything else is booked. I’d never choose it over AKL.

We have stayed at both in the last nine months and enjoyed both immensely! OKW definitely has the laid back feel but AKL has animals so choose your preference.

If you choose OKW, I would request to be as close to Hospitality House as possible. Our room was just across the bridge from the pool so everything was very convenient. I think if our room was in one of the more remote buildings we may not have enjoyed it as much.

You mention nap time so I will point out that during our AKV Jambo stay our naps were interrupted on two different days by loud singing and drums from the lobby. While the show was great when I stepped out of the room to see what the noise was about, it was not great to have the naps interrupted.

For us, bus service was great at both locations.

I love OKW with little ones.

1. The rooms are huge.
2. The resort is quiet and laid back.
3. They have a small kiddie pool for the 1 year old that is almost never crowded.
4. It is relatively close to the MK and super close to Epcot and the Studios.
5. You are never a far walk from any bus stop.

I have always requested a room near the HH. Not in the official area, but close enough to walk, and I've always gotten it. But mostly #1...so important with littles!

Near Hospitality House area is a booking category. So if you want Bldg 11-14 or 23-26, you need to book that area. If you cannot book Near HH Area, you might want to consider Peninsular Road (Bldg 27-29 since they are right across the canal (via the bridge) from the HH. Request a first floor villa with a tub (some of the first floor studios only have a shower since they are handicap accessible). You may want to book the one bedroom instead of a studio so you would have both a tub and a shower.

Thanks everyone for the feedback! We are going to go with a room at Kidani Village. I think we will enjoy the immersive theme of the resort. The 3 year old will really like the pool/spray park area and watching the animals. Also excited to try out some of the restaurant options there!

Thanks everyone for the feedback! We are going to go with a room at Kidani Village. I think we will enjoy the immersive theme of the resort. The 3 year old will really like the pool/spray park area and watching the animals. Also excited to try out some of the restaurant options there!

good choice! - now use to own at OKW - but sold it for BLT - now if you can afford it BLT would be great for your child - you can walk to the MK.

AKV is great resort - stayed at Kidani Village and Jambo house - love them both - kept in mind that the counter service is over at Jambo house. think the studio was a little bigger at KV vs JH. which view did you get?

We will definitely look into BLT in the future, that would be awesome!

We got a standard view. I’m hoping that won’t be a bad view. We decided not to spend up for an animal view since we will hopefully be in the parks most of the time and just napping or sleeping in room. I’m looking forward to our break day in the middle of the week when we can spend some time at the pool area and just relax! Hopefully that will help recharge everyone (we didn’t have a non park day last time!).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter