• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

OKW or SSR Studio?

Sorcerina

Mouseketeer
I wonder if I should stay at OKW or SSR in October 2014. Have to say that we will stay at SSR this October for the first time. There is only DH and I. Want to see a new resort, but have heard a lot of complains about it, but also a lot of good things.
So tell me why I should go to either or the other resort.

I wonder if I should stay at OKW or SSR in October 2014. Have to say that we will stay at SSR this October for the first time. There is only DH and I. Want to see a new resort, but have heard a lot of complains about it, but also a lot of good things.
So tell me why I should go to either or the other resort.
I love the studios at OKW best. Larger rooms and I like the themeing/atmosphere here also - feels more laid back than SSR.

Enjoy!! :goodvibes

When you say "have heard complaints about it" are you referring to OKW or SSR ?

We have stayed at OKW but not SSR but my boss owns at SSR and has stayed at SSR many times. From his comments and my experiences OKW is definitely more laid back and the rooms are larger. OKW is more spreadout so more walking is involved but SSR is HUGE with far more people and things to do.

If you are looking for relaxation, then OKW is your choice while if you are looking for activities and things to do, then SSR is your better choice.

both are pretty nice.

SSR is walking distance to the marketplace at DD.

OKW is walking distance to the west side of DD.

both use buses for transportation to the parks.

OKW is older - but since the latest rehab - think it looks as good (if not better) than SSR.

ssr has 2 different pools slides.

okw has just the main pool w/slide.

both have some great community halls. SSR is better - it is bigger and just has more room.

We prefer OKW over SSR. The rooms are way larger. We think the buses at OKW are way better than SRR (if you can get on at hospitality house stop and get off at Penninsular Rd stop...need to request a building near Penninsular RD). It's more quaint. Olivia's is a really nice restaurant...good breakfasts. We like to take boat to Downtown Disney. And as a nice added bonus, it take a few less points to stay at OKW than it does at SSR.

SSR studios have a queen bed and a pull out couch. OKW studios have two queen beds, so if you like to relax on the sofa to watch tv then SSR might be better. If a sofa is not important then OKW is definitely larger in size. Both are beautiful resorts.

SSR studios have a queen bed and a pull out couch. OKW studios have two queen beds, so if you like to relax on the sofa to watch tv then SSR might be better. If a sofa is not important then OKW is definitely larger in size. Both are beautiful resorts.

That's why I would not go out of my way to choose an OKW studio for a couples only trip. If you were asking about 1BR+, then I would highly recommend trying OKW.

We've stay at both resorts, and vastly prefer SSR. We did have a car, so I'm not sure about the bus issues. In certain sections of SSR, one can walk to Downtown Disney. There are elevators in each building at SSR, whereas this is not the case at OKW. We did NOT like having to haul our luggage up to the 3rd floor at OKW at all. There are only a few buildings with elevators at OKW. This was our biggest complaint with OKW. Hope this helps with your decision!

This is a really hard question for me since we love SSR and OKW almost equally. If I had to stay in a studio I would choose SSR because of the sofa issue, but that's just my personal opinion. But OKW is definately cheaper pointwise. Either way you cannot go wrong, they are BOTH wonderful places to stay.

Personally we don't like OKW.

For a couples only trip, we prefer the studio at SSR. We like that it has the bed & couch, not two beds like OKW studio.

We love the pools, food, and decor at SSR. Also, we love to walk to DtD, and get a room with a DtD view. We have done 2 couples only trips to SSR and have really enjoyed it.

:thumbsup2

That's why I would not go out of my way to choose an OKW studio for a couples only trip. If you were asking about 1BR+, then I would highly recommend trying OKW.

The two queen beds is exactly the reason why I would book OKW for a couples trip instead of SSR. We each get our own bed to sleep instead of squeezing into one queen or making one of us sleep on the sleeper sofa. We are contemplating purchasing a south Florida timeshare so we could head to the beach every summer. We could stop off at OKW for a few nights in a studio, haul our dirty clothes with us down to the beach and launder them in our timeshare w/d instead of using the pool laundry.

Thanks for all the answer, that makes the decission even harder. Are all rooms refurnished ar OKW? How long is it since the last refurnish?

After staying at OKW in April I like SSR. I don't dislike any resort we've tried but we definitely like SSR better than OKW. I am probably one of a few that doesn't like the extra bed at OKW. I like to be able to fold up the couch for the space and sitting area. I've never liked using a hotel bed as for furniture when hanging out in the room or watching TV. My wife and i always slep together and my kids....well honestly sofa bed or real bed they are too young to care, and when they get older....tough. theyll take what i gem em:lmao:. While OKW is bigger, I like the surroundings and layout of SSR. I like the pools, the community hall, theming....pretty much everything better. Again, no disrespecting OKW as its the original, but we just really like SSR.

Noise is another consideration. The connecting door for OKW is in the living room of the one bd so anyone in the studio will be able to hear the neighbors whereas the connecting door at SSR is around the bend of the one bd living room making it a little quieter.

Whether you like 2 beds (OKW) for the sleeping space, or 1 queen and a sofa (SSR) for a more comfortable place to sit can be a factor.

Having a car at both resorts is a plus.

We like them both equally... If it were a 1 bedroom... OKW is bigger... For studios, SSR (to me) feels much more spacious! so much more to do for couples at SSR with DTD within walking distance. I vote SSR considering its a couples trip! You can't beat a 8 - 10 min walk to restaurants, night life, and entertainment.

We have tried OKW X2. I swear that resort has a musty smell in the rooms. The bathrooms are very dated, IMO.
1. I do like how big OKW rooms are. But that is it. I have no real love for the resort
2. SSR is where we prefer to stay, I seem to find myself more relaxed there. I prefer their quick service. Being close to DTD. And most important. Treehouses!

I decided to book SSR again. The sofabed and that we could walk to DTD makes this decision

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter