OKW Overbooked?!?

MerriH807

Mouseketeer
We are supposed to check in to a studio on Tuesday at OKW, I got a phone call this morning from SSR, to see if I would be willing to stay there instead...any thoughts?

We are supposed to check in to a studio on Tuesday at OKW, I got a phone call this morning from SSR, to see if I would be willing to stay there instead...any thoughts?

You'll get a queen and a double sofabed at SSR vs 2 queens at OKW. I would ask for some compensation if that's inconvenient (or say no).

I would do it if they would bump it up to a one bedroom for your trouble. You should get some kind of perk for being moved.

I was told during check-in yesterday here @OKW that it is at 100% occupancy. I was a bit surprised because it is normally less crowded at this point in August.

We'll be checking into OKW on Friday.
This is the second last DVC at WDW that we haven't stayed at so I better not get bumped.
Only BWV left at WDW after this one.

Interesting! I wonder if they will/can compensate you and with what? And what happens when you say no, better check in early!

This happened to me once at VWL, when staying in a studio. We were upgraded to a two-bdrm in the main inn over-looking the lake.

Could be over booking but more likely a maintenance issue either with a room or two or with a building.

:earsboy: Bill

Hey! We were "bumped" from a HA Grand Villa 3 days before we left! They moved us over to SSR. I was livid. But when I came home and called them (they had left a message), he said someone made a mistake. How could I be mad? I make mistakes. We moved over to the SSR, and for those who hadn't stayed at OKW, it was fine. Those of us who have stayed at OKW were very disappointed. I thought at the time that this was a plot to get more people in to the SSR to sell it. They were upgrading budget resorts into the SSR for goodness sakes. They gave us a nice Grand Villa facing Downtown Disney, and they sent us a basket of goodies to compensate. We were only charged the OKW number of points which was lower. By the way - they called it an "upgrade".

Hey! We were "bumped" from a HA Grand Villa 3 days before we left! They moved us over to SSR. I was livid. But when I came home and called them (they had left a message), he said someone made a mistake. How could I be mad? I make mistakes. We moved over to the SSR, and for those who hadn't stayed at OKW, it was fine. Those of us who have stayed at OKW were very disappointed. I thought at the time that this was a plot to get more people in to the SSR to sell it. They were upgrading budget resorts into the SSR for goodness sakes. They gave us a nice Grand Villa facing Downtown Disney, and they sent us a basket of goodies to compensate. We were only charged the OKW number of points which was lower. By the way - they called it an "upgrade".

Not so sure I would have called it an upgrade! I love the OKW GVs!

By the way - they called it an "upgrade".

hey by their standard it was an update - SSR is more points (quite a few) than OKW and it is much newer.

this is late Aug - wonder why it is full? many of the southern schools have already started.

Geeezzz! I hope it works out for you! We are staying at OKWV in Oct. I am looking forward to staying there! I have been reading every post I can to prepare. :goodvibes

hey by their standard it was an update - SSR is more points (quite a few) than OKW and it is much newer.

this is late Aug - wonder why it is full? many of the southern schools have already started.

Has free dining started yet?

While that may be true, OKW is our home resort and we LOVE OKW. Especially for a family gathering. SSR had a living room and a dining room. OKW kind of combines the two. At SSR, if there were people playing cards in the dining room, they couldn't be "with" the people in the living room. And we have never had the opportunity again. To get the same family members together, or to have enough points. It makes me really sad. Upgrade my foot. But as my lovely daughter always says, it is what it is. And that's that. Hey - the other people could've been "upgraded", but they wouldn't ask them. I suggested it.

It really depends. For some it would be an upgrade, for some a downgrade. If you were counting on the second real bed, I'd say no. If you won't have a car and the bed situation isn't an issue, it might be a better choice. You could also ask for a different resort though it's likely there isn't other availability. You could also ask for a deluxe hotel with concierge access. To me the bottom line is how much of an issue is this for you and how you'd use it.

The public free dining doesn't start until Sept 2 but I think PIN codes start next week. That's when they typically upgrade some people for free from the values to OKW and SSR. No one is going to pay full price for a DVC to get free dining.

While that may be true, OKW is our home resort and we LOVE OKW. Especially for a family gathering. SSR had a living room and a dining room. OKW kind of combines the two. At SSR, if there were people playing cards in the dining room, they couldn't be "with" the people in the living room. And we have never had the opportunity again. To get the same family members together, or to have enough points. It makes me really sad. Upgrade my foot. But as my lovely daughter always says, it is what it is. And that's that. Hey - the other people could've been "upgraded", but they wouldn't ask them. I suggested it.

You are right about the layout at OKW. LOVE the open plan of the OKW GVs. I too feel the separate room layout of SSR is awkward for a large group.

Old Key West is pushed hard here in the UK (indeed we did 2 weeks in a studio there when we were unexpectedly able to go a few years ago after renting out our points). It's priced quite reasonably, guessing at the amount our flights were worth, we paid around $200 per night including park tickets and 'free' dining which is pretty much available all year around from here. I wonder if they've had more demand than anticipated this summer?

Curiously looking for next year only Saratoga is being offered of the DVC resorts.

Tom

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter