Old greeting cards and Notes

JanetRose

...what was the meaning of the big white glove?
If you keep them, are they in a box somewhere or have you ever through of scanning them and making a book?

I do keep some particularly precious ones. They're stashed in a drawer and I do look through them occasionally when I run across them. I don't make a point of doing it just for the sake of it though. I've certainly never thought of gathering them into a book or anything like that, but I do sort of imagine some of them making their way to the "memorial display" at my funeral though. :o Is that weird?

I have saved some. Older ones are in a pretty chest. Newer ones are in a pile in my room to be sorted and either recycled or put away.

I do look at them occasionally - mostly when I'm digging through the chest for something else. 😆

In most aspects of my life, I am not a pack rat, but I am with cards and notes. I have about every card/letter/note I've ever received. I used to glue them into big scrapbooks in chronological order. I gave up on that years ago and now just collect them in a basket and when the basket gets full, I put them in Ziploc bags. They are all stored in a cedar chest in my guest bedroom. I rarely look at them, but I feel like if someone took the time to write a note or buy a card, I should keep it.

My grandmother kept every card, note, announcement she received.

It was a treasure to find them when we cleaned out her things. Many of them, I returned to the sender.

It was an honor to find them and see the history in our family that she kept.

My grandmother kept every card, note, announcement she received.

It was a treasure to find them when we cleaned out her things. Many of them, I returned to the sender.

It was an honor to find them and see the history in our family that she kept.

my mom was this way. when i went through her stuff i also found every school photo she ever received of my cousins and such. i mentioned it to one of my cousins and found out HER mom never kept any for themselves so she and her sibling were THRILLED when i gathered them up and they both had a complete elementary school set of themselves. i also found letters their father had written to my mom and dad during ww2 which i sent on. the envelopes from ww2 letters were realy cool-many had been stamped on the front with cartoons encourging support of the troops and purchasing victory bonds. i took some of the ones from letters my dad had written my mom and had them framed in a shadow box along with his dogtags and a ww2 food ration book (along with many of the unused stamps).

I keep sentimental cards from close relatives/friends, but cards (especially Christmas cards) that don't hold any special value meet my Fiskers punch and become gift tags. (I got it at a discount and didn't pay near the price it's listed at today! :oops:)

1713054560454.png

Over the years I have pared down my saved cards into a few scrapbooks. I take a picture (and get the photo printed at CVS) of a card front of any card with writing on the inside left side. I paste/tape both card halves+ picture onto a 12X12 scrapbook page. PM me if any of you would enjoy a postcard or card. I enjoy sending out happy mail.

I’ve kept quite a few, it occasionally go through them and discard some. It’s hard as it’s so sentimental. I have one I would never discard. It was from my parents who gave it to me after they stayed with us for a few months when my Dad was ill and had numerous surgeries. They lived out of town and needed to be near the hospital and doctors. They each wrote in the card expressing their love and pride in me. What a gift from them! I have a few tears whenever I read it. They’ve both passed many years ago. It’s also nice that it’s in their own handwriting.

<raw unfiltered emotions incoming>

My deceased MIL kept every. single. blessed. note and card that anyone ever mailed to her through her whole entire adult life. When she died early last September, *I* (not my DH or SIL...they couldn't handle going through it) was the one who got the job of going through every single box. There were a LOT of boxes of these papers.

Every single birthday card, Christmas card, Easter card, Arbor Day card, or whatever. She kept it all. There were a few that DH & SIL wanted to keep and those were set aside for them. But they said throw out the rest.

And *I* was the one who hauled it all to a dumpster in my car. Some of them also got burned up in our fire pit in our backyard. They were not historical important treasures that should be stored for all eternity.

Don't do this to your family. Do them a favor and do some Swedish death cleaning before you're too old or infirmed to do anything about it. Don't leave a huge mountain of stuff and clutter for your relatives to have to deal with. Keep a small keepsake box or 2 of your treasures. But boxes and boxes and boxes of papers? No thank you.

I finally went thru all my cards awhile back & tossed them. I read a lot so I made a few book marks out of the ones that had a nice quote or pretty flowers or design, just cut into a strip.
I have asked my family to not give me anymore cards because I don't like to throw them away but don't want to keep them either.
I do have a Valentine's Day card that I will probably never throw away tho. It is 16in x24in & was given to me by my oldest grandchild when he was very young.

We have a few. But we got back yesterday from the mid-west and visited a Genealogy Library that had some of my wife's ancestors greeting cards, letters and notes on file.

We have an album of postcards that were sent to a Great Aunt by her then fiance from the trenches during WWI.

When my Mother's parents were killed during a bombing raid on Canterbury Cathedral in 1942 she went to live with her Aunt and Uncle who became my de facto grandparents.

They mean a great deal to me but it is difficult to imagine any of our children having similar sentiments.

ford family

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter