Old Key West

KayleeUK

Still here.....
Tell me about this resort, why do you love it? What shouldn't we miss when we are there? Whats the food like? How are the pools??

Tell me ALL............please :D

Great resort - very laid-back and relaxing atmosphere.

I have tried to answer 'why do you love it?' five times now and deleted every attempt! I don't know why we love it - we just do!

You shouldn't miss sitting by the dock in the evening watching the sunset over the bridge, and you must take the boat to Downtown Disney (especially magical in the dark). We also hired a boat one afternoon and enjoyed seeing more of the resort from a different perspective.

We didn't eat in Olivia's, and found the menu at Goods pretty limited to be honest. Fine for a couple of times but no more. We do like being close to PO Riverside and driving over to their food court once in a while ;)

I haven't been in any of the pools, but DH and DDs enjoyed the quiet pool near our villa last trip. Haven't tried the main pool but it looks good!

I agree with everything Hilary said about it being laid-back, sitting by the dock and also getting the boat to DD (but it is quite a different experience on a chilly day ;) )

When I had to go in school holidays, Easter was our preferred time, and even then when full, it never seemed crowded and we've had our favourite quiet pool to ourselves (at magical dusk).

The landscaping is attractive and there is a feeling of space at OKW. I've had decent food in Olivia's but it's not one of my 'must-do's' I like the (easy) drive to Crossroads - past the old Disney Institute - particularly special early on warm mornings when the mist still hovers over the grass. Plenty of family diners there if you don't mind leaving WDW.

I've been an Orlando 'regular' since 1988 and have stayed at many places off-site, as well as All Stars, Coronado and Boardwalk on-site and there's nowhere that gives me the same tingle of pleasure when I check in as OKW. I'm sure you'll love it.

I've only stayed there once and that was December so we only looked at the pools rather than swam in them (though some people still did!) but they look pretty cool, the quiet pools were, um, suitably quiet, LOL.

It IS wonderfully laid back and quiet and unless you are close to check-in and the pier you need a car (or have to ride the bus) to look around as it's spread out alot. It's also very, very pleasing on the eye there :)

One of my favorite things is to ride the boat from OKW to DD - I've done it a few times, even when not staying there, hehehe. We had dinner at Olivia's one night, which was pretty good food as I recall but like Pootle says, it's not a 'must do' sort of place, just a nice place to go if you don't feel up to much, oh and there's a nice place where you can sit outside and eat alfresco too.

Ther are four pools. The main p[ool and three other small ones. We just got back yesterday from OKW and at 12:00-3:00 PM they have contests music and games at the main pool. Olivia's food is fair, service is great. We ate there for lunch and breakfast. The food was served hot and timely.

I've just come back from 8 days at OKW, I still think OKW is one of my favourite Disney resorts. We did eat at Olivia's and the food was pretty good. On the down side,I did think the menu ( particularly in the evening, as with many Disney restaurants the lunch and evening menus share many offerings, yet the evening ones are often 50% more than the lunch ones. I don't beieve there is any significant difference in the portion size to account for this price hike) was a little pricey even by Disney standards and unless it was purely for convenience I wouldn't choose to eat there (again particularly at night).

The units, particularly the one bedroom and larger are considerably bigger than other DVC resorts and you'll feel spoiled by the space. The pools are all very nice, although none of them have slides. The main pool is nicely laid out and there is a sand dgging area for kids and a play area. There is a secondary pool that does have a bar and limited food offerings ( smoothies, pre packed sandwiches, crisps etc), the other two "quiet pools" are relatively small and only offer drinks from a vending machine. I would estimate they are about 12-15 metres in length but do usually live up to their billing as "quiet pools" although that can depend on the guests using them. I did take refuge at one of the quiet pools on the Sunday we arrived for our second stint on OKW as they had some awful New Yorker woman DJ who was trying to whip a very unenthusiastic crowd up into taking part into games,quizes etc. She was, IMHO, overly loud, a fact that made her rather harsh NY accent even more grating. Apparantly she is there on saturdays and Sundays but hopefully it won't be a long standing experiment as she ruined the ambience of what, IMHO OKW should be all about. I felt like I was in the middle of a 18-30s Ibiza pool party, not what I go to Orlando for. If she's "on" while you're there I would suggest making use of your pool hopping facility and visit another hotel.

What can i say members at OKW from 1995

Laid back ohhhh yes very

Quiet pools bliss

The Gurgling Suitcase mmmm get to know the Cast members lol

Olivia's Cafe had some nice meals in there

Good's Food to Go - great for a snack attack

The wildlife running or flying around you

Last but not least THE PINK LEMONADE yehaaaaaaa

jj....... :smooth:

OKW is very much like having your own place. Parking just outside you home is great - no valet parking or tips. The rooms are larger than at any other resort, and the three bedroom villa is incredible. Can you believe 4 bathrooms? Owners since 1995, we always stay there with family, but have strayed to BWV when adults only. Not really pool types, but our grandkids have enjoyed the main pool. Not Stormalong Bay or Luna Park, but just as wet anf refreshing.

Have a great trip!

I've got to say that OKW is, in my opinion, the best resort in Disney.

Why? I know this sounds like it's straight off the sign as you go in the entrance, but it really does feel like a home, rather than a hotel, that you're staying in.

The accomodation is massive, the facilities are excellent, and it's considerably more laid back than the other Disney Hotels (examples being All Stars, PO etc.) - It's also a lot friendlier to be able to walk out on your balcony and engage in some holiday banter with the folk who happen to be standing on the balcony next to you.

The eating facilities at OKW are probably the low point - Olivia's is a bit dull, and overpriced for dinner, as has been mentioned.

Goods Food to Go is great if you're wanting to grab a bite to eat at lunch time, handy to the pool (although I prefer the smaller "local" pools to the big one).

Oh, and the Trumbo Ferry is very cool indeed... You feel like such a flash git getting on your little pontoon while everyone going to PO piles onto the waterbus - very realxing travelling back at night after a busy night at DD.

And the fact that the place is built round a golf course... It's great to be able to wake up and watch the first round go through - if you're a golfer, you get to stand and realise that you're not the worst player in the world! Thunderstorm watching is also fun over the big wide fairways.

The bus service is great too... If you're on the bus back, and it's not too busy, sit and the front and get chatting to the driver. When you get back to the resort, ask where they're going first, and in my experience they'll ask where you're getting off and take the route that gets to that place quicker!

It's going to be a long 2 months till I go back... Ah well, it'll be all the sweeter when I get there! :teeth:

Hope that helps!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter