• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Old Key West

dwt

Earning My Ears
We returned last week from a six day stay at Old Key West. This was our first trip as DVC members
and it was great. We were in a two bedroom (2512); it had a great view of the water, was in
great shape, and close to the main pool, store, etc. We couldn't have had a better time. The
buses were timely, the pool wasn't over crowded, the staff were friendly, and the food was
good. All in all it was a great six day vacation.

We did pool hop to the Polynesian with a call ahead first. One thing I learned was that you
aren't supposed to drive your own car to the resort. The gate guard at the Poly did let us
in but informed us that pool hoppers are supposed to use the resort transportation so that
parking isn't an issue. Incidently, they've remodeled the Poly pool and it's very nice. They
have a new "mountain" with a tube slide that the kids really liked.

The parks were moderately busy, however, in earlier trips I've waited in lines much longer.

Going back in February... The countdown begins

The gate guard at the Poly did let us
in but informed us that pool hoppers are supposed to use the resort transportation so that
parking isn't an issue

Really??? Has anyone else ever heard this? In May we pool hopped to the Poly and SAB and always told the guard we were pool hopping. They just smiled and waved us through every time.

So glad you had a good time. Would you recommend this room? We are first timers going in October 2001 and have reserved a 2 bedroom. Where you close to the hospitality house? Can't wait until October.:)

Isn't DVC fun? We always start the countdown immediatly after a trip too!

What was you first impression walking into the 2 bedroom? Wasn't it great having accomodations like that, I'd love to hear your feelings on it. I know everytime I'm home like this it just reenforces my belief that DVC was the best present we could have given our family, starting our next vacation in December we're now going up to the two-bedroom unit for the 4 of us and I'm sure that my two DD's are going to love having their "own place", and they can even each take a freind if hey wanted and be totally self-sufficient and the DW and I can go do the things WE want to do and they can take off on their own.

We have been turned away from Poly parking also. I think they must get too many people trying to skip paying the parking fee at MK or EPCOT just to hop the monorail. I know if I was staying at Poly and couldn't find a parking place i'd be very upset so I was bothered when I was turned away.

I am so glad you had a wonderful first DVC vacation, but that guard thing bothers me.

On my last DVC vacation (this past March) we had a few hours to kill so we decided to check out the progress on the Poly Pool. We pulled up to the guard gate and informed him that we were there to look around. He told us where to park and to make sure we check out the new pool because it would "blow you away". He couldn't have been more pleasant and accomodating.

As a DVC member you have every right to use the Poly Pool and that includes the use of the parking lot when you are using the pool. It does not state anywhere that you are to use Disney Transportation when pool hopping, or does it? Have I missed something? I can't imagine the two or three parking spaces taken up by pool hopping DVC members would overflow the parking lot. If the parking problem is caused by the abuse of people using the Poly lot to go to the Magic Kingdom then they should crack down on that and leave people who have every right to be there alone.

While at OKW in late May, we drove to Poly twice to see relatives. The first trip, the guard asked the room number and name, checked his guest list and gave us an all-day parking pass (at about 9am). The second time, a different guard didn't check our story, but only gave us a 3-hour pass.

We also drove to Contemporary, and got a 3-hour pass for just wanting to shop.

What's amusing about it is that when we visited the very-hard-to-enter AKL, the guard saw our OKW pass and just waved us through.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter