Old ticket question

preemiemama

DIS Veteran
I just came across some tickets from 2009. They are all stuck to the paper from when they were sent to us and don't appear to be used. I called Disney to ask about them. First time I was on hold for an hour and gave up. Second time I got someone who kept putting me on hold - like they were asking someone who was training them. He told me I had to email ticket.usage@disneyworld.com with my name, address, phone, a copy of the tickets in question (front and back), and a government issued ID- and it had to be all under 2 MB. I had emailed that address earlier to ask how I could find out if there were days left or not, and it was sent back as undeliverable to that address. The CM said it was because there was nothing attached. Anyone have any experience with this??

Also, if it was 2009, they would have had to been removed from the paper to have been used, right? No connecting to MDE?

If they are unused, I know they will need to be upgraded. I just want to know what I'm working with, so any help is appreciated!

I seem to recall some prior threads where old/unused tickets can be taken to the Guest Services booth at the entrance to each Disney park for validation & assistance. I have never heard of an email address that knows to bounce messages if they don't have an attachment, that doesn't sound reasonable. (You could simply attach any kind of picture to the email to test out that theory when asking them your question.)

Disney phone people seem to guess at answers they don't know since they realize you will never know who they are and you get someone different each time you call.

I seem to recall some prior threads where old/unused tickets can be taken to the Guest Services booth at the entrance to each Disney park for validation & assistance. I have never heard of an email address that knows to bounce messages if they don't have an attachment, that doesn't sound reasonable. (You could simply attach any kind of picture to the email to test out that theory when asking them your question.)

Disney phone people seem to guess at answers they don't know since they realize you will never know who they are and you get someone different each time you call.
I was finding that fishy as well and planned to call again tomorrow or maybe Monday when the regular, weekday workers were on...

I understand I could take them to the park, but I am not a local and would want to have these attached somehow in MDE so they could be used for our next trip- at least to make FPs. Long story, but my DS's GF is planning to come on the next trip and needs a ticket. So thought this could be a less expensive way to make that happen...

If you do a search on the phrase 'old tickets' .......I found several older threads on here that might contain useful information.

No additional payment is needed to use them more or less as-is.

By more or less I mean that they may need a one time treatment before you can make fastpass reservations in advance using them, hence the suggestion that you call.

I really don't like calling because of long expensive minutes on hold. If time permits you might want to try another email conversation.

To add more days could involve an unexpected large additional charge reflecting today's ticket prices. See the ticket sticky thread way up above to get an idea of the charges involved.

Post 2016 theme park tickets are on a different system (TPT) from 2009 Magic Your Way tickets so adding more days results in a trade in as opposed to an upgrade. MYW tickets are no longer being sold at the ticket booths.

It is possible that it may be more cost effective to save the old tickets for a vacation of the exact same length compared with trading them in for a longer vacation. But as with all decisions regarding ticket alternatives and crossroads and selections, considerable number crunching and planning and trip forecasting is needed. Among other things you would not want to trade up to a more expensive flex date ticket when a specific date span ticket (the most common kind nowadays) would do.

Last edited:
Disney will allow you to use older tickets for whatever they have left on them. You cannot add days in to the tickets.

No additional payment is needed to use them more or less as-is.

By more or less I mean that they may need a one time treatment before you can make fastp*** reservations in advance using them, hence the suggestion that you call.

I really don't like calling because of long expensive minutes on hold. If time permits you might want to try another email conversation.

To add more days could involve an unexpected large additional charge reflecting today's ticket prices. See the ticket sticky thread way up above to get an idea of the charges involved.

Post 2016 theme park tickets are on a different system (TPT) from 2009 Magic Your Way tickets so adding more days results in a trade in as opposed to an upgrade. MYW tickets are no longer being sold at the ticket booths.

It is possible that it may be more cost effective to save the old tickets for a vacation of the exact same length compared with trading them in for a longer vacation. But as with all decisions regarding ticket alternatives and crossroads and selections, considerable number crunching and planning and trip forecasting is needed. Among other things you would not want to trade up to a more expensive flex date ticket when a specific date span ticket (the most common kind nowadays) would do.
Disney will allow you to use older tickets for whatever they have left on them. You cannot add days in to the tickets.

So what I have are 4 4 day adult tickets without hoppers. My mom found them in some papers she was cleaning out and gave them to me to check out (and use if they are valid). I am still trying to figure out if they have been used- even before an upgrade/trade/etc. I know that they are stuck to the original paper they were mailed on, and that there was not a MagicBand system in 2009 that would have automatically put the ticket on my account. So I'm thinking they may in fact be unused.

If so, I'm OK with using 2 of them as-is for DS's GF to have 8 park days. We could save the other 2 until we need them or use them to price bridge to new APs in a couple years.

However, we are going for a week and DH, DS and I all have DVC APs. Parkhopping would be an issue. Is it possible to add that on without it needing a trade/upgrade?

Also, I'm assuming @seashoreCM's reference to a treatment would be whatever needs to be done in the computer system to add them to my account in order to make FPs? Is any of that going to be an issue if they are in my mom's name and not mine? Would she need to call and add them to my account herself?

So what I have are 4 4 day adult tickets without hoppers. My mom found them in some papers she was cleaning out and gave them to me to check out (and use if they are valid). I am still trying to figure out if they have been used- even before an upgrade/trade/etc. I know that they are stuck to the original paper they were mailed on, and that there was not a MagicBand system in 2009 that would have automatically put the ticket on my account.
1. So I'm thinking they may in fact be unused.

2. If so, I'm OK with using 2 of them as-is for DS's GF to have 8 park days.
We could save the other 2 until we need them or use them to price bridge to new APs in a couple years.

However, we are going for a week and DH, DS and I all have DVC APs. Parkhopping would be an issue.
3. Is it possible to add that on without it needing a trade/upgrade?

Also, I'm assuming @seashoreCM's reference to a treatment would be
4. whatever needs to be done in the computer system to add them to my account in order to make FPs?
5. Is any of that going to be an issue if they are in my mom's name and not mine?
6. Would she need to call and add them to my account herself?
1. Agreed.
2. Yup.
3. You can certainly "ask nicely," but
if (IF) they will allow it, it could potentially be VERY expensive to do so.
4. Yup.
5. Nope.
6. No.

1. Agreed.
2. Yup.
3. You can certainly "ask nicely," but
if (IF) they will allow it, it could potentially be VERY expensive to do so.
4. Yup.
5. Nope.
6. No.
Thank you! I also believe that it's not possible to use one ticket to enter one park and another to enter a second park that day, right? Just trying to weigh my options. We don't need to do anything yet- we don't even have our reservation set so there is time to get everything figured out! First thing is to figure out if they are, in fact, active tickets!

Thank you!
1. I also believe that it's not possible to use one ticket to enter one park and another to enter a second park that day, right? Just trying to weigh my options. We don't need to do anything yet- we don't even have our reservation set so there is time to get everything figured out!
2. First thing is to figure out if they are, in fact, active tickets!
1. You CAN do that, if the two tickets are separate, stand-alone tickets.
(It's not possible to do if you have, say, a single "two-day" base ticket.)
2. Yup.

Caution: If you have both (4 day) non-hopping tickets linked to one guest then I am thinking that if he tries to enter a second theme park on a given day then a park day will be quietly and automatically ticked off of the second ticket even after you prioritized the other ticket as first.

Not good!

1. You CAN do that, if the two tickets are separate, stand-alone tickets.
(It's not possible to do if you have, say, a single "two-day" base ticket.)

There are 4 individual 4 day base tickets, so theoretically 16 separate entries?

Caution: If you have both (4 day) non-hopping tickets linked to one guest then I am thinking that if he tries to enter a second theme park on a given day then a park day will be quietly and automatically ticked off of the second ticket even after you prioritized the other ticket as first.

Not good!

There is not a person in there to represent the GF, the person who would be using the tickets. I suppose I could add an additional person and have her use the 1st park as one person and the 2nd park as another? I don't mind using all the days on the tickets if needed, but would probably prefer to add the hoping option to avoid confusion...

There are 4 individual 4 day base tickets, so theoretically 16 separate entries?
Yes.
To enter two different parks in one day, you'd have to use two of those tickets.
(The first park entered using ticket A, the second park entered using ticket B.)
That's not how the tickets are "designed," (and that would be a somewhat costly way to use multiple tickets... if you were paying full price for them) but you could "creatively" use multiple "base" (one-park-per-day) tickets in this way to "park hop."
Once you start using any of the assets on the tickets, the ones used would likely expire (fully used or not) within 14 days.

This is made difficult as I have no idea what are the exact "rules" for the particular tickets you have.

Yes.
To enter two different parks in one day, you'd have to use two of those tickets.
(The first park entered using ticket A, the second park entered using ticket B.)
That's not how the tickets are "designed," (and that would be a somewhat costly way to use multiple tickets... if you were paying full price for them) but you could "creatively" use multiple "base" (one-park-per-day) tickets in this way to "park hop."
Once you start using any of the assets on the tickets, the ones used would likely expire (fully used or not) within 14 days.

This is made difficult as I have no idea what are the exact "rules" for the particular tickets you have.

They are 2009 tickets with "Celebrate everyday" and one of the Fab 5 characters on the front if that helps. I assumed they would only be good for 14 days from first use. They are essentially "free" to us since my mom found them and gave them to us. Not the best value to use them to "hop", but at least it could be an option. I'd prefer to actually add the hopper piece to them if they will allow it- guess I'll see how that goes first but at least I know have a viable plan B!

I appreciate your responses- it has helped me immensely in figuring out how to proceed!

I used that email address yesterday about old tickets. I scanned the front and back of the tickets and front and back of my drivers license and emailed it in as an attachment. I received a reply that is was received in minutes so that email does work. It might take about 2 weeks for someone to email back with the results. I did the same thing in 2015.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter