OMG OMG help me plan please, we're going lol

Update! Rooms are not available (for the time period we're going) at Sapphire Falls now. I called customer service and spoke with someone to inquire about annual passholder rates, and for our trip there aren't any for the more expensive hotels (i.e. I guess they're already taken) but there was one for Dockside Inn, which she applied to our current reservation AND it's a pool view instead of standard. This saved us $200, which makes the annual pass pay for itself since there was ~$200 difference between my ticket cost and an annual pass.

So of course, in addition to my mother-daughter trip in March, now I'm planning a week long trip in May with my husband, for my birthday! :rotfl:

I can't find annual passholder rates for hotels for then, either, with few exceptions. For example, there is a kid suite available but we don't need a kids suite. I will probably call and see what my options are because using the UO website is a bit frustrating - I'd like to be able to see all of the hotels' availability at once, not just one hotel at a time, and so far I can't see how to do that, if it's possible. Unlike my March trip, we have some wiggle room in the dates we could go, and I think I'd rather just call and get them to look for options.

I am so glad to hear that Dockside standard rooms have a mini fridge, thank you for letting me know!

I also made reservations - which again, learning UO's IT system definitely has a learning curve - it appears that you can't make dining reservations through the app? Once I tried through the UO website I had no trouble finding decent meal times at Toothsome and Mythos. We decided to leave our 3rd night open.

That's it for now. STILL EXCITED LOL.

Mrs. B,

I can sense your excitement! A mother/daughter trip. The best!

I'm going to US and IOA with my son in mid-March. So my suggestions for you are:

Watch some Harry Potter movies before you go. Consider it a "refresher" for your trip. Go into the parks the first day you arrive. If not, have a relaxing dinner in Citywalk or your hotel and use the pool before you retire for the evening. Next day get up early, try for Hagrids and have breakfast at 3 broomsticks. Take in the rest of Hogsmeade and then work your way over to US and the other HP attractions. Take the Hogwarts Express. Get the rest of your meals from the Mardi Gras food booths in US. If not, then back to Citywalk.

The next day, rinse and repeat.

After you're done with HP stuff, pick and choose whatever else interests you both. Watch out for Velocicoaster! Don't let the Spring Break crowds get you down. I'm sure you and your daughter will have plenty to talk about while waiting in line.

Have a wonderful trip!

Update! Rooms are not available (for the time period we're going) at Sapphire Falls now. I called customer service and spoke with someone to inquire about annual passholder rates, and for our trip there aren't any for the more expensive hotels (i.e. I guess they're already taken) but there was one for Dockside Inn, which she applied to our current reservation AND it's a pool view instead of standard. This saved us $200, which makes the annual pass pay for itself since there was ~$200 difference between my ticket cost and an annual pass.

So of course, in addition to my mother-daughter trip in March, now I'm planning a week long trip in May with my husband, for my birthday! :rotfl:

I can't find annual passholder rates for hotels for then, either, with few exceptions. For example, there is a kid suite available but we don't need a kids suite. I will probably call and see what my options are because using the UO website is a bit frustrating - I'd like to be able to see all of the hotels' availability at once, not just one hotel at a time, and so far I can't see how to do that, if it's possible. Unlike my March trip, we have some wiggle room in the dates we could go, and I think I'd rather just call and get them to look for options.

I am so glad to hear that Dockside standard rooms have a mini fridge, thank you for letting me know!

I also made reservations - which again, learning UO's IT system definitely has a learning curve - it appears that you can't make dining reservations through the app? Once I tried through the UO website I had no trouble finding decent meal times at Toothsome and Mythos. We decided to leave our 3rd night open.

That's it for now. STILL EXCITED LOL.

You can use this link to search AP rates at all properties:

Universal Orlando Resort (windsurfercrs.com)

Mrs. B,

I'm going to US and IOA with my son in mid-March. So my suggestions for you are:

Watch some Harry Potter movies before you go. Consider it a "refresher" for your trip. Go into the parks the first day you arrive. If not, have a relaxing dinner in Citywalk or your hotel and use the pool before you retire for the evening. Next day get up early, try for Hagrids and have breakfast at 3 broomsticks. Take in the rest of Hogsmeade and then work your way over to US and the other HP attractions. Take the Hogwarts Express. Get the rest of your meals from the Mardi Gras food booths in US. If not, then back to Citywalk.

After you're done with HP stuff, pick and choose whatever else interests you both. Watch out for Velocicoaster! Don't let the Spring Break crowds get you down. I'm sure you and your daughter will have plenty to talk about while waiting in line.

Have a wonderful trip!
Great suggestions… and to add on, the Mardi Gras food and beverage card is a good deal that’s going on right now. These need to be purchased while in the parks in studios at any of the Mardi Gras food kiosks. There is one that cost $120 but can be used for up to $150 worth of food and drink including alcohol. I believe the other option is to pay $65 for $75 worth of food and drink. These cards can be used in Studios, IoA, and CityWalk and do not expire. You cannot use it at hotels though.

You also get a discount on food and non alcoholic beverages in the park with your AP depending on what level your AP is. I believe the top 2 tiers have it.

You can use this link to search AP rates at all properties:

Universal Orlando Resort (windsurfercrs.com)
Thank you! I called this morning, because I hoped they could see any 7 nights except for a few days in May that I have to be at work, including late April and early June. All she could see in the premier category was a Presidential suite, and she said that AP rates have been coming out about two months in advance lately, and to try again in mid-March. I don't know if UO TMs are as unreliable with information as WDW CMs, but that's what she said. I'll just keep checking, I suppose.

Because you said you love planning and this is your first trip, if you don’t get Express Pass I would get a touring plans subscription. For most people, it’s not necessary but it’s a small fee. A custom plan can help you figure out the best time to do the things you want. I love that Universal doesn’t require anywhere near the planning of Disney but occasionally I feel like I want to do something and there’s nothing to do. The first time we went, tweaking the custom plan scratched the planning itch and helped organize our days. Full disclosure, by Day 3 we had chucked the plans but it was nice to have them and the cost is so low I thought it was worth it.

Mrs. B,

Have a wonderful trip!

These are great suggestions, thank you! We have all the HP DVDs and watch them often. I've read all the books; I even had one book sent directly to me on vacation one year because I couldn't wait to read the next chapter in Harry's story. We have all first printings/editions of the book series, and my kids had "dental appointments" more than once on the days the movies came out. :goodvibes

Great suggestions… and to add on, the Mardi Gras food and beverage card is a good deal that’s going on right now. These need to be purchased while in the parks in studios at any of the Mardi Gras food kiosks. There is one that cost $120 but can be used for up to $150 worth of food and drink including alcohol. I believe the other option is to pay $65 for $75 worth of food and drink. These cards can be used in Studios, IoA, and CityWalk and do not expire. You cannot use it at hotels though.

Thanks! The food and beverage card is duly noted and on my list to grab, at least one, since they don't expire!

You also get a discount on food and non alcoholic beverages in the park with your AP depending on what level your AP is. I believe the top 2 tiers have it.

I got the Preferred pass, so yes, I'll get extra value because of the AP food discount. Thanks for the verification!

Today's to-do is to order a HP top for my Pair Eyewear glasses. Pretty sure I'm getting these:

But I'm a little torn, and also like these:

Thanks again everyone, for your help. Let me know which top you like best!

Because you said you love planning and this is your first trip, if you don’t get Express Pass I would get a touring plans subscription. For most people, it’s not necessary but it’s a small fee. A custom plan can help you figure out the best time to do the things you want. I love that Universal doesn’t require anywhere near the planning of Disney but occasionally I feel like I want to do something and there’s nothing to do. The first time we went, tweaking the custom plan scratched the planning itch and helped organize our days. Full disclosure, by Day 3 we had chucked the plans but it was nice to have them and the cost is so low I thought it was worth it.
It's funny you mention that - I have a TP WDW subscription and you're right, it does scratch that itch. That's a great way to put it, LOL! It's only $9, so why not. You've sold me. :thumbsup2

Just went for a mother (53) & son (14) trip and stayed at Dockside. It was so fun. It was my 6th trip but so much had changed in the past couple of years.

Use the single rider line whenever you can. This saved my son and I so much time on our trip. Some of the queus can be really cool (esp in Harry Potter) but if you want to ride anything more than once or if the line is just too long, the single rider line is the way to go. Hagrids had a 90 minute wait one morning and my son and I rode in 3 times in a row in under an hour. Velociraptor is a must ride coaster. And we really love the mummy ride. Water rides are so fun but you will get absolutely soaked so plan accordingly.

Dockside is fine for a short trip, esp if you plan to be at the parks all day. The bus ride is probably about 8 minutes and then you have about a 15 minute walk to the gates (including security). If the security lines are long, it may take a bit longer to get through. We did a sit down lunch each day in the parks (we really like Lombards in US, the food is good and it has a great view) and then went back to the hotel for dinner. We ended up eating in the food court all 3 nights as we were just so tired and the food there is actually pretty good. I hate going directly out to dinner after being all sweaty in the parks, and going back and forth on the bus can be a lot of work unless you are going to check out some of the bars too (which can be really fun!).

Have a great trip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter