OMG that poor woman with the car accident!!!

GinnyFavers

Rescued Princess of Chickapin Hill
This makes me REALLY angry. I can't tell you how many times I've seen locals and guests speed through that crosswalk between the MK and the Contemporary, I've remarked many, many times that someone is going to get killed there some day.

Thank god this lady Denise's little boy wasn't the one that had to die, but somebody is going to unless Disney does something about that crosswalk/roadway like NOW. Not tomorrow, not next month, NOW.

Sorry, but this ticks me off. When I send families to Disney for their dream vacation, crossing dangerous roads isn't something I want to feel like I have to warn them about.

The speed limit through there needs to be NO MORE THAN 15 MPH and I think that's pushing it. There need to be speed bumps, more lights, etc. Sorry CM's, I know it's a great back way but it should be first and foremost for guests to get safely to the MK until Disney can be bothered to put in a pedestrian overpass.

Denise here:

I appreciate your outrage, but it was really just as much my fault (as hard as that is to say) than the poor man that struck my son. I should have been more vigilant. I looked away for a brief second (I was actually picking up my younger son) and my 5 year old was so excited he ran out in fron to the car.

I agree that a pedistrian bridge might be a good idea. But I would bet guests would be miffed in the extra time and steps it would take to cross the street.

It is in our nature to look for fault when tradgedy happens. I work in the ER of a trauma center here in Minneapolis, and when horrible things happen to people that come in I hear it all the time: "no seat belt?" for people in motor vehicle crashes..."I'm sure they were just minding their own business" for people shot, stabbed or assaulted and especially "Where were the parents?" when children are injured. Frequently, though, no one is to blame. They are just freak accidents that happen with no warning.

Sometimes I think we look for the "why?" as a way to reassure us that there is order in the world, when some things can't be prevented, just fixed after the fact.

I have had almost a year to reflect on a lot of things (anniversary date is March 28) and for the most part I am just so grateful for the skill and efficiency of the emergency and hospital personnel as well as the kindness I noticed among so many people I encountered along the way.

I don't feel anger or outrage, just the most amazing feeling of gratitude you could ever imagine.

That being said...If we ever go back to the Contemporary I am taking the Monorail to the Magic Kingdom:thumbsup2 .

And thank you again for your concern:wizard: .

I am so happy your DS is ok now. I know listening to the voicemail sure made you think about how precious our children are and how split seconds things happen.

We have crossed that intersection many times and for as busy it is with pedistrian traffic it seems like there is something they could do - but even a foot bridge most people would opt to cross to the street. :confused3

Thanks for sharing your story.

Denise here:

I appreciate your outrage, but it was really just as much my fault (as hard as that is to say) than the poor man that struck my son. I should have been more vigilant. I looked away for a brief second (I was actually picking up my younger son) and my 5 year old was so excited he ran out in fron to the car.

I agree that a pedistrian bridge might be a good idea. But I would bet guests would be miffed in the extra time and steps it would take to cross the street.

It is in our nature to look for fault when tradgedy happens. I work in the ER of a trauma center here in Minneapolis, and when horrible things happen to people that come in I hear it all the time: "no seat belt?" for people in motor vehicle crashes..."I'm sure they were just minding their own business" for people shot, stabbed or assaulted and especially "Where were the parents?" when children are injured. Frequently, though, no one is to blame. They are just freak accidents that happen with no warning.

Sometimes I think we look for the "why?" as a way to reassure us that there is order in the world, when some things can't be prevented, just fixed after the fact.

I have had almost a year to reflect on a lot of things (anniversary date is March 28) and for the most part I am just so grateful for the skill and efficiency of the emergency and hospital personnel as well as the kindness I noticed among so many people I encountered along the way.

I don't feel anger or outrage, just the most amazing feeling of gratitude you could ever imagine.

That being said...If we ever go back to the Contemporary I am taking the Monorail to the Magic Kingdom:thumbsup2 .

And thank you again for your concern:wizard: .

I think this is one of the finest posts I've ever read on the DIS. I'm sure the person who hit your son felt "beyond horrible". Really, who would EVER want to hit a little child with their car, especially at Disney. That's one of the things I think most civilized people dread the thought of, I know I do.

I was so touched by your story and I'm so glad you called it in, not only to demonstrate the kindness you were shown by WDW castmembers, hospital staff, etc., but as a reminder to everyone that although there's a ton of Magic in Disney, bad things can and do happen there.

I think after what your son went through, he should be a front car monorail rider for life!!

When I listened to this segment today, my eyes filled with tears (and I'm known for being pretty non-emotional;) ). As the mother of a dear little 8 year old boy, I can imagine the horror of that experience and can definitely see my child so excited and not paying attention the exact same way. I am so glad to hear that Denise's child is doing great. :cutie:

I agree completely, this post shows impressive charachter and wisdom, as well as a lot of integrity. Listening to the podcast almost brought me to tears. Thanks for sharing it with us. (Beaming with pride at this fellow Minnesotan)

=)
Brian

:thumbsup2 Wow, what a wonderful and healthy way to look at it all. I have a 6 yr. old and a 2 yr. old and know how quick they can be and it does literally only take a second sometimes. My eyes had completely watered up while listening to your voicemail and made me hug my kids a little tighter last night.

I am very very glad that your son is alright.

I am so happy your son is ok, I was listening to the podcast last night and i was just in shock. I have never stayed at the contemporary so I am not sure about the walkway, but I think this one incident will change how disney does things, well at least I hope

I'm glad everything ended well with your son. It must have been awful for you, especially working in an ER. You would have known all the sorts of things he would be up against. How brave you were!

I am sorry to hear this happened :eek:but I am glad her son is ok and that disney handled it the way they did

hope your son and family are well!!!!:goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter