• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

OMG! Would you cancel convertible car rental because of the Love Bug invasion?!!

disprincess2213

DIS Veteran
So its no secret Florida has been bombarded with more love bugs than ever this season! We arrive a week from today from CT and have a beautiful convertible scheduled for rent! We were so excited to have it to drive around sunny Florida, top down, shades on, music up, loving life! BUT OMG!! I didnt even THINK about these nasty love bugs and would physically get ill if there were millions of them flying at my (and DD) face while driving down the highway!! GROSS!! Would you switch cars ASAP?!

I'm really not sure you would be able to enjoy it :(. We were there last May when they were not as bad. I know they don't bite but they are so annoying and were all over the car.

Yes I would recommend switching vehicles. In addition to the love bugs, also keep in mind that from this point onward Florida weather is very HOT and humid especially as we approach the summer, there have also been frequent rainstorms and thunderstorms that can pop up at any moment.

For me, that would depend largely on how much more money it is costing to rent a convertible. If it's the same as my other options, I'd keep it and only put the top down if/when the bugs dissipated. But if I'm paying significantly more money just for the convertible experience I might cancel. Yes, they could be done by then but if they aren't I'd be livid if I wasted money. But that's me. I also might find it too hot and humid to even attempt to drive with the top down anyhow this time of year. Rain and storms can also be a factor. So I'd weigh those things against the cost before deciding.

Nope. Have you driven a convertible much before? There's an aerodynamic wedge at the front that ensures that you don't get smacked with bugs when you're at speed. It is very loud, but it's not actually terribly windy to drive one.

Thank you all for these replies! We are from CT. It is currently 46 degrees ( this is not a joke) . We WANT and NEED the sun and humidity!! We actually rented a convertible in the beginning of September in FL when it was so hot that it was hard to breathe but LOVED the convertible and drove with the top down everywhere we went!! Also, I know that the bugs dont splat constantly in my face when driving (lollll!!) I am just hearing horror stories and seeing videos of SWARMS and blackouts of these bugs! I would die if we were at a stoplight and got swarmed! The convertible is $40 more than the car when I look now, so not a HUGE difference. Does anyone know when these bugs typically go away?! I am SO torn bc we were SO looking forward to the convertible (even with the heat, humidity, storms, etc) but not if we are going to be attacked by love bugs. What to do!!

They've been active for over a week now, closer to 2 so I am thinking they will calm down by next week. For $40 I would keep it
I wish I could drive a convertible every day!

On the off chance that the OP was being serious, keep the top/windows up if the love bugs are still active then.

Eek. They are still here in SW fla and they are gross. They are simply the silliest little creatures with no regard for eyes of mouths or hair, lol.
Seriously OP.. you ll try it n deal with it. I’d be more bothered by all the nasty rain n dark weather we re having, lol.
Enjoy ur visit!!

I wouldn't do a convertible in Orlando - love bugs, thunderstorms, and idling in traffic and construction zones doesn't sound ideal. If you also have plans to drive the coast or near the beach, then I'd probably just keep it for the extra $40 and try your luck.

No reason to cancel.
I'm also from CT and drove my Mustang convertible as a daily driver for years, although now it's been retired to summertime toy status.
Rain, snow, heat, cold, wind, whatever. Once the top is up it's no different than anything else you'd be driving.
If it's too hot put the top up and turn on the AC.
Chilly evening? top up heat on.
Rain? Top up.
Idling in traffic? Top up.
Put the top down when conditions are right for it.
I can always spot a new convertible owner here in the northeast. If they're driving around in 50 degree temperatures or 90+ degree temperatures with the top down they're new convertible owners. After you've had one for a while you don't subject yourself to the extremes just for the fun of having your hat blown off.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter