On Line Check In with Gift Cards?

mthds

Mouseketeer
If we plan on using gift cards to pay for our hotel are we still able to do the online check in or do we have to go to the front desk? Am I able to call in ahead of the trip and give them gift cards over the phone to start paying hotel balance off?

If we plan on using gift cards to pay for our hotel are we still able to do the online check in or do we have to go to the front desk? Am I able to call in ahead of the trip and give them gift cards over the phone to start paying hotel balance off?

You can call ahead of time and pay off your resort room with gift cards. I do it all the time. Most of the time it is an automated attendant and I just have to read off the gift card numbers. You can also ask for a real person, too. I like to do it a few days ahead of our trip date so we have a zero balance due when we check in.

As far as online check in goes, I think you need a credit card attached to your account for online check in. You don't have to go to the front desk when you arrive unless you want to check on something. :)

I can't answer about OCI as I've never done that, but you can pay your room balance ahead of time with gift cards. You have to call as RO payments can't be made online.

Thanks for Info. I will have a credit card linked. But I don’t wont hotel being applied. We go in November and I’ve been buying gift cards for a while so it is paid for when we arrive

Do you have a package booked? Or room only? If it's a package, it has to be paid in full 30 days prior to check-in so you would have to call in your gift cards. Since you mentioned not wanting your card being charged, just keep in mind that Disney now places a $100 hold on your card at the time of check-in.

Thanks for Info. I will have a credit card linked. But I don’t wont hotel being applied. We go in November and I’ve been buying gift cards for a while so it is paid for when we arrive

I've never done OCI, but from what I understand, your cc will automatically get charged early morning of your arrival for any balance due. In order to avoid that, make sure you pay in full before arrival.

For many, many trips I checked in online and the balance posted to my credit card. Then at some point, at my leisure, when I walked by & saw the line was short, I would go to the front desk. They would reverse the charges off my CC & apply gift cards to that balance. I did this many, many times. Then someone on the DIS suggested I call in & apply gift cards before my arrival. Done!

I did it about 2 days before arrival & it worked like a charm.

One word of caution though, when you pay for anything at Disney & there is a refund for any reason, the refund goes back to the original form of payment, including GC. It goes back to the exact same GC # it was paid from. So, hang on to those empty cards for a bit after the trip before disposal.
You always think there's no reason you'll need a refund & then you do. Its happened to me & its a hassle if you don't have GC any more.

If you're like me, you collect small amount gift cards over time (so its not as painful financially). You can register the card #'s at disneygiftcard.com (on back of card) and can combine down to one # used to pay room balance. This will help the call go faster & you only have to keep one for refunds.

Many like to register the cards so they can move balances to another card quickly if lost or stolen.

After reading the VERY long CC thread it was stated that one cannot apply a gift card to ones room ahead but go to the front desk and have them charge your GC for the purchases....is this new?
https://www.disboards.com/threads/new-credit-card-authorization-holds.3729383/

We're discussing here how to pay for room charges for nightly fees & it sounds like what you are asking about is how to pay for things you've billed to your room (food, shopping, snacks, etc). To my knowledge, you cannot pay for your room fees then ask them to put $100 credit on your room with a gift card to bill to later (though that would be ideal).

What you can do is bill to your room all you want, but you have to go to the front desk to try & catch them before you've racked up too much debt & they roll over a charge to the CC on file.

Because I'm an AP & use TiW for discounts & have to carry proof to pull out for nearly every transaction anyway. I found it as easy to pull out a GC to pay for every transaction on my recent 8 night stay. It was no more difficult than tapping a MB & typing in a pin and i had no additional room charges than what I'd paid down before I arrived. But, if many in your party or kids you don't want to trust to carry GC cash, billing from MB back to room might be preferable.

Just there last month and was told I can not put a gift card for expenses but could come down to check in and pay my balance with the gift card. So the night before check out I clean my balance with the gift card.

MDE is now allowing gift cards as a form of payment for the balance due on your room only or package. I just completed the transaction without calling customer service.

Where on MDE is this located? I have some gift cards to apply. I can call but if I can do it without being on hold it would be nice

It is on the same page you use to pay on your balance due. The gift card option is below the field to enter how much you want to pay on the balance.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter