On my TIVO!

You can record two shows at once with the DirecTV HD DVR. I do it all the time :)

no no no no - I meant you can't record 2 shows at once on TiVo with a DVR. If there's a way - please do tell because the guy at the store, the instruction book and the Tivo site say you can't - and I would LOVE to!!!!!!!

And :wave2: disneybride!

I just signed up for Direct TV HD w/DVR on Saturday. I had to buy my boxes (2 HD DVRs) but will rent a regular box. The reason I'm getting 2 HD DVRs is because they told me we wouldn't be able to record 2 programs at once on 1 HD DVR unit. If there is a way to record 2 programs at once, I hope someone can clue me in. I'll be sure to ask the installer on Wednesday when he is supposed to show up.

I have the DVR from the cable company. When I first signed up my daughter said that was dumb signing up for it. Now she has all her shows set up to record. Our lives have changed since we got it.

The package I have from the cable company is very good so the box works out to hardly nothing monthy. How nice is it to watch TV without all the commercials? My daughter calls it power watching. :)

no no no no - I meant you can't record 2 shows at once on TiVo with a DVR. If there's a way - please do tell because the guy at the store, the instruction book and the Tivo site say you can't - and I would LOVE to!!!!!!!

And :wave2: disneybride!

Oh, I thought you were saying that's what turned you away from the DirecTV DVR. I've only had units that are combined DirecTV receivers w/ TiVo built in and this new HD DirecTV DVR. I don't know anything about the stand-alone TiVo boxes - sorry!

GET OUT! Now I want one even more.

I had Tivo, I was a Tivo pioneer, got it for myself back in 1999, but then my ex husband made a stink about wanting it when I left him, and I had to abandon it in place.

Tonight my new wonderful husband is having to tape Survivor for me, while I'm at work, and I have HINTED that with Tivo I could just program a "season pass" for it. I have also HINTED that we could program in a "season pass" for Orange County Choppers that would catch new shows and reruns to see old shows he's missed in past years. Then I HINTED that Tivo was running a special for a box for only $99 for a while this month...

We'll see if SANTA CAN TAKE A HINT. :rolleyes1

I know Tivo know longer offers the unlimited package but I have seen on eBay that some sellers are selling the box with the unlimited package stating that the unlimited price plan follows the box. Can anyone verify this? What if something happens to your box? I am considering buying one off eBay with the unlimited but understand it is caveat emptor so I'm trying to do my homework first. Thanks in advance for any help!

I just signed up for Direct TV HD w/DVR on Saturday. I had to buy my boxes (2 HD DVRs) but will rent a regular box. The reason I'm getting 2 HD DVRs is because they told me we wouldn't be able to record 2 programs at once on 1 HD DVR unit. If there is a way to record 2 programs at once, I hope someone can clue me in. I'll be sure to ask the installer on Wednesday when he is supposed to show up.

I had a regular DVR (not HD) with Directv. They need to run a second line from the satellite to the DVR You can then record 2 shows at the same time while you are watching a show you previously recorded on the DVR.

We just switched to Cablevision because of the free HD. I don't like their DVR's as much as the Directv ones. The graphics aren't as good and you can't use a keyword to search for shows. You have to search through the program guide to find the shows you want.

Yes - the lifetime service does 'follow the TiVo' even if it's sold to another user**. The lifetime service is actually for the TiVo and not the buyer - so if you get a new TiVo or if your's dies you can't move that service to another TiVo.

There are exceptions to this - TiVo recently ran a special where if you bought a new dual tuner unit (one where you can recorder and watch 2 different shows at the same time) you were allowed to switch the service from an older machine. I took advantage of this - had an older unit where the modem was blown and I was using an external modem (and the hard drive was too small - blah, blah, blah) and got a cool dual tuner for my office that I love.

There is a company that specializes in TiVo's - sales and repairs - called Weaknees - www.Weeknees.com - I have used them for a repair and found them to be quite reliable.

I just got an email from them that they are offering a 40 hour Humax TiVo with the built in DVD recorder for $49 after rebate. They also say this particular TiVo is still eligible for the lifetime service contract at $299. They have other size/capacity units at similar savings.

Just to add my disclaimer - I have never bought a TiVo from them so I can't vouch for them in that regard. As I said I sent one of my TiVo's to them for repair a while ago and they did a great job for a reasonable price and it came back very quickly.

John

**PS You're supposed to 'switch' the lifetime service when you sell or give a TiVo with it to someone else - make sure you have the sell take care of that for it (or provide you with all the info needed) if you do buy one from eBay that has a lifetime subscription with it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter