On property advantages?

Kinda been rethinking the possibility of staying on sight. When we do visit Disneyland, whether or not during next year, it will most likely be a one and done trip there. So if they do have out some discounts at PPier, I might possibly consider that.

Kinda been rethinking the possibility of staying on sight. When we do visit Disneyland, whether or not during next year, it will most likely be a one and done trip there. So if they do have out some discounts at PPier, I might possibly consider that.
If you go during Dapper Day or Gay Days, you can get significant discounts at the hotels. You do have to pay a non-refundable first night's deposit and ethically, you should be willing to support the group in some way. For Dapper Day, buy an expo ticket. It's a great event at Disneyland Hotel and it's under $20. It's also really fun to dress up but you don't have to. For Gay Days, wear a red shirt or something and be supportive. If you don't feel supportive, then don't use their discount. Both events have websites you can google to find. Both groups host events in spring and fall.

Edited to add: also watch for winter/spring specials. I usually use the fall/winter discount for AP holders to go in early Dec. It's generally around 25%. You probably don't have an AP but they offer a similar discount to Disney Visa holders at about the same time, and one advantage to Disney Visa is that you can have 6 months interest free to pay it off, but it has to be a package (room + tickets). This year, DLR had a great spring special for everyone but coronavirus kind of messed that up.

Are there on property advantages?

Yes, but not nearly enough to make the significant premium you'll pay worth it, IMO.

Yeah, It's on my bucket-list to stay at GCH or DLH one of these days. I've gotten as far as the point of putting my credit card information in multiple times and just wasn't able to pull the trigger.

Every time, this nagging voice comes up in my head and says "Really? For the difference in what you pay, you could stay across the street and eat at Napa Rose or Blue Bayou every day. Or build a light saber and droid each day you are there. Or stay a full day or two longer."

And I just can't press the button. Someday I will. But probably not anytime soon.

Yeah, It's on my bucket-list to stay at GCH or DLH one of these days. I've gotten as far as the point of putting my credit card information in multiple times and just wasn't able to pull the trigger.

Every time, this nagging voice comes up in my head and says "Really? For the difference in what you pay, you could stay across the street and eat at Napa Rose or Blue Bayou every day. Or build a light saber and droid each day you are there. Or stay a full day or two longer."

And I just can't press the button. Someday I will. But probably not anytime soon.

Ha! This is exactly how I feel about it, though I haven't actually gotten so far as to almost book it other than running possible dates. And then usually I think, "You could go on TWO Disneyland trips or a second vacation somewhere else with the amount of money you're saving..." But I just know there's going to be some major event in the future where I think - "Here it is. Time to stay on property." But not the near future.

We'd never stay off property at WDW, though. They are just such different experiences.

I guess im in the minority here but once u stay onsite u can never go back. we started at teh pph and than did a few times at the disneyland hotel and now GCH. One thing I have to mention, if u have any major emergencies come up which I have had, you will never find a more determined cast members willing to help to teh thousanth degree. For example last year we had to take my mom to the er twice and teh hotel picked us up at the hospital twice, cmped one night since she was to ill to travel and gave us complimentary tickets for a ucoming trip,Try getting that kind of service a ta good neighbor hotel. I also had something come up this trip as well which I will do a separate post about, but once again disney to the rescue, Not only that but being close to teh parks is great at teh end of the day and the magic of the disneyland hotel cant be beat. Stay onproperty if u can.

If you go during Dapper Day or Gay Days, you can get significant discounts at the hotels. You do have to pay a non-refundable first night's deposit and ethically, you should be willing to support the group in some way. For Dapper Day, buy an expo ticket. It's a great event at Disneyland Hotel and it's under $20. It's also really fun to dress up but you don't have to. For Gay Days, wear a red shirt or something and be supportive. If you don't feel supportive, then don't use their discount. Both events have websites you can google to find. Both groups host events in spring and fall...
Gay Days also asks that you participate in at least one event to use the discount rates. Just like dressing up alone doesn't put money in the Dapper Days accounts, wearing a red shirt alone doesn't put money in the Gay Days coffers.

I'm glad most people won't pay to stay on site. That would only increase prices. I did my time staying off site in my younger decades and that's a suit
Gay Days also asks that you participate in at least one event to use the discount rates. Just like dressing up alone doesn't put money in the Dapper Days accounts, wearing a red shirt alone doesn't put money in the Gay Days coffers.
Thank you for mentioning that. The only time I've gone (during Mini Gay Days a while back) there were no events, but I donated and wore my red shirt. I think it's very important to support these groups if you're going to take advantage of the hotel discounts. Not only is it fun, but it keeps them afloat. It's very expensive to do what they do and it's a big bonus for so many people.

I remember being a broke college student with a $329 premium AP (yah yah, maybe not that broke) and me and my girlfriend (now wife) would sit in the GCH lobby over the holidays and pretend that we were staying there. We’d always be worried someone would figure us out and shoo us away (never happened).

It took just over 9 years.... graduate school, moving cross country, moving back for a job.... some people buy a Rolex to celebrate a promotion, we got a DVC VGC contract instead.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter