• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Onboard account and OBB

Jillywilly143

Mouseketeer
I am a little confused, and I know you guys can help me clear this up! :) For the onboard account, I have my credit card set up as payment, because it won't let me use a gift card. However, I know I can use gift cards to pay for both the onboard account and OBB. So, my assumption is that the way it works is that I use my KTTW for the whole cruise, and then when I get my statement, I can go to guest services and ask them to put it on my gift card instead. Is that right? Or do they charge my cc every day after making purchases with my KTTW? Sorry if this is confusing. TIA!

You can go to Guest Services at any point in the cruise, put the gift cards on your account, and they will be used to payoff any charges before the CC.
One thing if you do not use all the funds from the gift cards by the end of the cruise and you want the fund back you must have on-hand the card the funds came from (in other words do not throw away the cards). Also, if you have more than one gift card, remember the order in which they were placed on your account, that will make it quicker if there is a re-apply to the gift card.
You will have to use your KTTW card for charging while on the ship and at Castaway Cay.

For your onboard account, they will charge your card on file when you hit a certain dollar limit (it varies by cruise - don't know the exact amounts for each cruise but say it's $250 for a 4 day cruise -- every time you buy something on the ship or something is charged to your onboard account like excursions or tips, it accumulates until you get to $250, then they will charge your credit card and then of course the last charge will be for any balance at the end). So you will want to put gift cards on your account before they charge your credit card. So you can put some on in advance of your cruise by calling DCL and then monitor your account once you are on board. Or, you can put them on when you board by going to guest services and again monitoring your account and adding gift cards as needed. Or if you really want to be sure that nothing bills to your credit card first, you can set up your onboard account for cash and then you would apply the gift cards like cash. After you have applied all the gift cards you want or if you don't plan to spend any more money, you can give them a credit card for the final balance just to be sure you don't have to stand in line at the end of the cruise to pay off any last minute charges.

Now your deposit for the onboard booking does not go to your onboard account. If you want to use gift cards for the deposit, bring them to the onboard booking desk. But hold onto these cards. If for any reason they have to refund the deposit, they will do it back to the original form of payment.

I just got off a 7 day a couple weeks ago, and they charged my cc right around $500. I missed the first one, but got my gift cards and rewards card in before the other one happened

Yes, and try to get your gift cards on your account some time when the counters are empty -- don't wait till last minute when everyone is trying to clear up their accounts! Don't lose those GCs, in case you have remaining balance they can put it back on the card.

We applied our gift cards and rewards card that first afternoon. The last day DH stopped and asked them to put what wasn't spent back on the rewards card. They were happy to apply it to your choice.

question about the excursions... how the payment for it applies?
The charges for excursions will be put on your onboard account. Usually the first day of the cruise. But occasionally not until the specific date of each excursion.

may be OT but what if you have an ob credit through the travel agent? when is this applied to your account? i have been buying disney gc for months now so its not a huge bill at the end to go on my cc, and i have about 500$ to put toward the ob account in gcs- should i just call them in advance? that will be a long phone call. also, i saw that you can combine disney gcs on the disney gift card site- has anyone done this?

may be OT but what if you have an ob credit through the travel agent? when is this applied to your account? i have been buying disney gc for months now so its not a huge bill at the end to go on my cc, and i have about 500$ to put toward the ob account in gcs- should i just call them in advance? that will be a long phone call. also, i saw that you can combine disney gcs on the disney gift card site- has anyone done this?
You will have a slip in your room when you arrive showing your obc from your TA. It will already be on your account. You can call your gift cards in pre-cruise or add them to your account once you are on the ship.

Yes, just go to the gift card website and you can combine all cards until you hit a $500 limit. I think it is $500 as I didn't try to go over that on one card. I would combine them and then call in just one card.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter