Onboard Covid testing for international passengers?

So, essentially, as a fully vaccinated Canadian, I can enter US 5+ days prior to my cruise (ie. stay at WDW resort) and I won't need to do the pre-test. I would need to the embarkation test but DCL will pay for that test. Is that correct?

This is essentially the issue I was having. I would need to take a test before entering US already. But I didn't want to have to do pre-test, then an embarkation test.

Now if only Canada would just require arrival tests (instead of 72hr pre-test) to fly back, then I would be less anxious.

So I read it as if you enter the US 5+ days before the cruise then you don't need the embarkation test (pre-trip testing I assume means embarkation testing and pre-arrival) if fully vaccinated. Only if you arrive between 1 and 5 days do DCL pay for the embarkation test but you still don't need the pre-arrival test.

So I read it as if you enter the US 5+ days before the cruise then you don't need the embarkation test (pre-trip testing I assume means embarkation testing and pre-arrival) if fully vaccinated. Only if you arrive between 1 and 5 days do DCL pay for the embarkation test but you still don't need the pre-arrival test.

Okay. Just to clarify - As a fully vaccinated guest, if I arrive in the US more than 5 days prior to my cruise (for instance stay at WDW for a week), I would NOT need to do the pre-arrival test (PCR test up to 5 days prior) since I'm physically in the US more than 5 days. But I would still need to take the embarkation test (day of the cruise) but DCL would pay for that test.

However, if I arrive in the US less than 5 days prior to the cruise (for instance 2 days before the cruise), then I would need to take a PCR test (in Canada) that's within 5 days of my cruise (so 3 days before I leave). And I would still need to take the embarkation test (day of cruise) but DCL would pay for that test.

Not sure if I explained myself properly....

Essentially, if my cruise is Dec 6th, the earliest I can take a pre-arrival test is Dec 1st. If I'm already in the US on Dec 1st, I won't need to take this pre-arrival test. Is that correct?

Okay. Just to clarify - As a fully vaccinated guest, if I arrive in the US more than 5 days prior to my cruise (for instance stay at WDW for a week), I would NOT need to do the pre-arrival test (PCR test up to 5 days prior) since I'm physically in the US more than 5 days. But I would still need to take the embarkation test (day of the cruise) but DCL would pay for that test.

However, if I arrive in the US less than 5 days prior to the cruise (for instance 2 days before the cruise), then I would need to take a PCR test (in Canada) that's within 5 days of my cruise (so 3 days before I leave). And I would still need to take the embarkation test (day of cruise) but DCL would pay for that test.

Not sure if I explained myself properly....

Essentially, if my cruise is Dec 6th, the earliest I can take a pre-arrival test is Dec 1st. If I'm already in the US on Dec 1st, I won't need to take this pre-arrival test. Is that correct?

No as said (and not very clearly) I didn't read it that way. I read it as:

If you arrive 6 days before and provide proof of full vaccination:
  • No pre arrival test
  • No embarkation test

If you arrive 4 days before and provide proof of full vaccination:
  • No pre arrival test
  • Embarkation test paid for by DCL

That's based on this:
Voluntarily Choose to Provide Proof of a Covid-19 Vaccination:
  • Guests who are fully vaccinated may choose to provide proof of vaccination in order to be exempt from pre-arrival and Embarkation Day COVID-19 testing.
  • The US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention considers people to be fully vaccinated 14 days after the final dose has been administered.
  • Guests who are arriving into the United States 5 or more days prior to their sail date and who are fully vaccinated may choose to provide proof of vaccination instead of undergoing COVID-19 pre-trip testing.
  • Vaccinated Guests arriving from outside the United States less than 5 days prior to their sail date who are required to undergo the rapid test on Embarkation Day will not be charged for the test.
  • Guests may visit the Safe Passage website 33 days before—but no later than 24 hours before—sailing to upload an image showing proof of vaccination.

I'm a fully vaccinated Canadian sailing (hopefully) Jan 22, gotta hope t
I got the same email, trying to sort it out. Sailing March 19. I am fully vaccinated in Canada and need a test before flying home, can only stay one extra day. Might not have time to get results back.
Same boat. I'm a fully vaccinated Canadian sailing (hopefully) Jan 22, gotta hope Canada changes its rules for vaxxed travelers or we'll have to push the cruise back.

I'm a fully vaccinated Canadian sailing (hopefully) Jan 22, gotta hope t

Same boat. I'm a fully vaccinated Canadian sailing (hopefully) Jan 22, gotta hope Canada changes its rules for vaxxed travelers or we'll have to push the cruise back.

I'm Canadian too. But I need the rules to change for other reasons. Freaking Canada and the vaccine mixing. Now I'm not considered fully vaxxed outside of Canada. I got Astra/Phiser. :( My cruise isn't until May 2022 so I hope things change by then.

I'm Canadian too. But I need the rules to change for other reasons. Freaking Canada and the vaccine mixing. Now I'm not considered fully vaxxed outside of Canada. I got Astra/Phiser. :( My cruise isn't until May 2022 so I hope things change by then.
Same. DH and I are AZ/Moderna but our next booked cruise is Europe and judging by what other cruise lines are doing, mixing IS accepted if sailing out of a non US port. BUT it still needs to be recognized when sailing from the US!! 😈

What is considered 5 days. Like 24 hours or actually days. So If I arrive on a Sunday and I want to sail on Thursday that is 5 days but not 24 hour days.

What is considered 5 days. Like 24 hours or actually days. So If I arrive on a Sunday and I want to sail on Thursday that is 5 days but not 24 hour days.

If you're referring to arriving more than 5 days prior in order to be exempt from pre-arrival and embarkation testing for fully vaccinated people...if your cruise is on Thursday, you would have to enter US on the Friday before...as gismo1554 mentioned, you would need to be arriving 6 days before...

so to answer your question, it's actual days...

I contacted DCL to confirm this.

If you're referring to arriving more than 5 days prior in order to be exempt from pre-arrival and embarkation testing for fully vaccinated people...if your cruise is on Thursday, you would have to enter US on the Friday before...as gismo1554 mentioned, you would need to be arriving 6 days before...

so to answer your question, it's actual days...

I contacted DCL to confirm this.

A correction and update to my previous post:
I had contacted DCL about another matter and I inquired about this issue again...just to ensure I understood correctly. I was actually told that it was 5 days or more prior...so 5th day would be the cruise embarkation day.

So according to the information I just received, you would need to arrive on Saturday. I would suggest you contact them and give them your dates so they can provide a more definitive answer. The CM, this time, drew my attention to the fact that it says 5 days. For some reason, I thought it was more than 5 days. Sorry for the confusion and I'm not sure why this was so difficult for me to understand.

Last edited:
So I am thinking about taking a cruise, NCL and Holland do not test you for covid before boarding, but need a proff of a covid negative test done 2 days prior. But they do offer PCR testing onboard for those needing it to go home. Flirting with the idea of going on a cruise... Am I crazy?

So given the current state of things I did go ahead and book our flights for our March cruise, and we are staying in Miami for two nights after the cruise returns. I do not want to end my vacation with a crazy day of finding and getting PCR tests and waiting for results and hoping they arrive before my flight boards. My experience here in Canada and last week in Mexico is that PCR generally takes 24 hours, unless you pay through the nose. A hotel for a night currently costs less than two expedited PCR tests.

I figure that way we’re covered even if requirements change or testing is offered onboard. We’ll just have a couple extra days in Miami to sit on the beach.

(I know other tests may satisfy Canadian entry requirements, but everywhere I look offers the rapid antigen and the PCR so I’m working off the assumption that those are the most widely available).

For Canadians worried about a tight turrnaround time around testing, Air Canada is now partnering with Switch Health for a "take with you and no need to mail" COVID test, which is valid for re-entry into Canada. All you'd need is a decent connection (wifi or regular cell data) for the supervised portion of the test, and upload your results. For example, on a 3 or 4-nighter including a stop in Nassau, one could decide to take the test while stopped in Nassau (rather than risking it at sea over DCL's wifi)... On a 3-nighter, you could even potentially take the test before departure from PC, while on the ship... or on longer cruise on arrival back at PC/Miami if the flight home is later on the day. https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco...20/covid-19.html#/covidTesting::switch-health

For Canadians worried about a tight turrnaround time around testing, Air Canada is now partnering with Switch Health for a "take with you and no need to mail" COVID test, which is valid for re-entry into Canada. All you'd need is a decent connection (wifi or regular cell data) for the supervised portion of the test, and upload your results. For example, on a 3 or 4-nighter including a stop in Nassau, one could decide to take the test while stopped in Nassau (rather than risking it at sea over DCL's wifi)... On a 3-nighter, you could even potentially take the test before departure from PC, while on the ship... or on longer cruise on arrival back at PC/Miami if the flight home is later on the day. https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco...20/covid-19.html#/covidTesting::switch-health
Nice! I’m not flying Air Canada (We’re a Westjet house) but am thinking if this is approved anyone can use it.

I think it's going to be a game changer for sure. Of course, we just booked our PCR tests for our return trip from Disneyland last week and it's not refundable 😒😭 At least this is a good option for future trips. Now, DCL just needs to recognize mixing AZ with mRNA. They are the ONLY major cruiseline who has yet to update their vaccine policies to include this 😈🤦

DCL has now changed the debarkation testing for cruises longer than 5 days...
  • Only for unvaccinated passengers
  • Antigen type

So with everyone now testing at port, it looks like we no longer have to do the pre-arrival covid test unless you have unvaccinated kids under 12.

We are cruising out of Galveston over Christmas, we will be booking our rapid PCR test at a local Walgreens/CVS, free of charge but I am secretly hoping we won’t have to test to return to Canada by then:rolleyes1

I am cruising Virgin in a week and a half and they don’t offer onboard testing before disembarkation and I don’t have the time to hit up a Walgreens or CVS so I booked a rapid PCR test at the Miami airport. 🤞🏻

I am solo this trip, meeting up with a friend so I am hoping and praying everything goes smoothly! 🙏 I have never been so nervous taking a trip. 😬

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter