Once In A Lifetime: What Would You Do?

TheOneWithTheTriplets

DIS Veteran
Our East Coast family is planning a trip Disneyland trip for the last week of August. We don't expect to be back to Cali for Disney any time soon (ever?) so this is very much a do-it-all trip.

We're staying at the BW Park Place and buying four day hoppers. We are parkstormers, so expect to RD each day, break at some point in the afternoon, and go back to close the parks. The girls are 9 and tall enough to ride everything but not big on thrill rides, so things like Incredicoaster or Guardians are going to be done once for the parents, but not something we'll want to do multiple times throughout the trip.

First, how would you book your park days? My initial thought was DL-DCA-DL-DCA, but I'm wondering if 3 DL RDs is better for our group. There just seems like so much more that will appeal to them in DL and then we can always hop and do DCA things later in the day.

Second, what dining would you do for your only trip? I'm currently thinking:
- arrival day, no tickets, Trader Sam's
- Blue Bayou Fantasmic package (if we want to see the restaurant, it seems useful to also book the package with the best seating for the show)
- Lamplight Lounge
- World of Color Dessert Party (this would be a big splurge, but I hear such great things...)
Any other TS that are must do? Everything I'm reading is that DLR has tons of good QS and we don't need to load in a bunch of TS meals. We like using TS as a time to reset in WDW when we take much longer trips, but committing to long TS meals with only 4 park days feels like a bad use of our time, unless there are some special ones on here that I'm missing. Also, not seeing a ton of great reviews on the parade package. People seem to think you need to show up just as early to get a curb seat with the package or not, so it doesn't really save you time. Is that your experience?

It does sound like three DL rope-drops would be better for your family. I recommend DL-DCA-DL-DL so that you have DL to start and end your probably one-time visit to Walt's own park. Then you have a DCA RD on the second day to hit things there first thing. And, as you say, you can hop over there on the other days. Be sure to head to the entrance to Cars Land at sunset at least once, and then stay to do Radiator Springs Racers at night.

You mentioned Trader Sam's, so I know you aren't just looking at food options in the parks, but don't forget about the table service restaurants at the Grand Californian if you do decide to have another sit-down meal. You're right that DLR has a bunch of good QS options. Make sure you have the DL app so you can do mobile orders.

I like your TS list! 🔥

It is not difficult to get a curb spot for the parade, especially if you’re viewing during the week. Areas near the train station and City Hall fill up after Main Street proper in my experience. We’ve walked up to a curb spot 30 minutes before the parade in front of City Hall.

Our favorite QS is Bengal Barbecue - definitely worth a mobile order. I’d normally say French Marketplace (especially when they have live music playing), but that’s being replaced by Tiana’s Place. 😞

The only time we did the World of Color dessert party, they had technical issues and WoC didn’t perform. No refunds when that happens (and it does happen on occasion). They only thing they could do for us was to offer some fast passes… which didn’t help as we were leaving the next day.

Parade package is just so-so, exactly for the reasons you mentioned. We won’t do it again. Hungry Bear Fantasmic package is one we do repeat on - it’s well worth it, and the food is pretty good. Depending on the schedule, you may be able to stay in place after Fantasmic for viewing the fireworks (usually the first Fantasmic seating). It’s not the best view for the fireworks, but it’s great for a second viewing, or if you don’t want to fight the crowds. Our daughter hates crowds, so this is the only way she’s comfortable seeing them.

Your plan is good but if you have park hoppers, I highly recommend: DL, DCA, DL, DL. I just think there's so much more to see and do a DL than DCA. Unless you know your kids are really going to want to do rope drop at DCA twice.

Your meal plan is exactly what we did last time, with one exception, and it was great. We did River Belle instead of Blue Bayou which was being renovated. I feel like World of Color Dessert Party is a better bang for your buck. Better seating, actual seats, great food that you can take home if you don't eat it all. I like that you don't have to stake a spot after paying a whole lot of money.

We did a parade package for Main Street Electrical Parade. We liked it. We don't like to stake out a section since we're only there every couple of years. So the extra to have a dedicated spot that wasn't crowded was great.

If picking once in a lifetime show packages, I would definitely prioritize WoC dessert party. We had an absolute blast at that. It's a more unique experience than BB fantasmic since you can eat and drink during the show. I would guess that Fantasmic will also still be in "B mode" in August after the dragon fiasco. River Belle fantasmic package I think is better value than Blue Bayou, but if you're doing to do BB either way then can't hurt to get the package there.

If price is no object, Napa Rose and Carthay Circle are the nicest table service restaurants in my opinion. Blue Bayou is cool scenery if you get a water table, but the food is not very good. Lamplight Lounge is great particularly for brunch or lunch.

You can easily do everything you want to do in 4 days. I would do DL-DCA-DL-DL as starting parks. If you change your mind, you can likely switch the last day from DL to DCA 2 nights before. Harder to switch it in the other direction.

Definitely do a rope drop morning in Fantasyland! Knocking out 5 quick rides in an hour is a memorable thing and something not really as feasible in WDW. Be sure to do Cars and Matterhorn at night, those will really stand out vs WDW as well. Enjoy!

Hi there! We are also making a once-in-a-lifetime trip this summer with our three kids - 10, 8 and 8. Our kids also will ride thrill rides, but not more than once. They prefer all the other rides and shows! We are also hardcore park goers, and plan to do many early mornings and late nights. My kids handle this well as long as we go more slowly and have lots of breaks. Here is our plan:

1. Arrival day, check in at hotel, unpack and swim. Explore Downtown Disney and dinner reservations at Disneyland Hotel at Goofy's Kitchen. (Ours still love characters, and I know they wouldn't get much out of Trader Sam's.)
2. Disneyland Day 1 - BBB reservation for my only daughter. We have dinner reservations at Cafe Orleans, may or may not keep this because the Quick Service options look great at this park.
3. DCA Day 2 - quick service lunch and dinner, WOC Dessert Party which is a huge splurge.
4. Off Day 1 - sleeping in, doing a WB studio tour
5. Off Day 2 - sleeping in, spending the afternoon at the beach
6. DCA Day 3 - hitting up all quick service again, many good options we are excited to try!
7. Disneyland Day 4 - Hungry Bear Fantasmic Package
8. Sleep in and check out!

We do TONS of sit down dining at WDW, but won't be doing that on this trip as we have heard that the quick service is so good. We go before you in June, so I will let you know what my kids and my husband and I like. Genie+ every day of the trip, combined with WOC Dessert Party are already a huge splurge for us, so sit down dining isn't really in the budget!

Hi there! We are also making a once-in-a-lifetime trip this summer with our three kids - 10, 8 and 8. Our kids also will ride thrill rides, but not more than once. They prefer all the other rides and shows! We are also hardcore park goers, and plan to do many early mornings and late nights. My kids handle this well as long as we go more slowly and have lots of breaks. Here is our plan:

1. Arrival day, check in at hotel, unpack and swim. Explore Downtown Disney and dinner reservations at Disneyland Hotel at Goofy's Kitchen. (Ours still love characters, and I know they wouldn't get much out of Trader Sam's.)
2. Disneyland Day 1 - BBB reservation for my only daughter. We have dinner reservations at Cafe Orleans, may or may not keep this because the Quick Service options look great at this park.
3. DCA Day 2 - quick service lunch and dinner, WOC Dessert Party which is a huge splurge.
4. Off Day 1 - sleeping in, doing a WB studio tour
5. Off Day 2 - sleeping in, spending the afternoon at the beach
6. DCA Day 3 - hitting up all quick service again, many good options we are excited to try!
7. Disneyland Day 4 - Hungry Bear Fantasmic Package
8. Sleep in and check out!

We do TONS of sit down dining at WDW, but won't be doing that on this trip as we have heard that the quick service is so good. We go before you in June, so I will let you know what my kids and my husband and I like. Genie+ every day of the trip, combined with WOC Dessert Party are already a huge splurge for us, so sit down dining isn't really in the budget!
I’m not sure about Cafe Orleans. I would probably look for another option there. Do you have Park Hoppers? If you do I would recommend changing one of your DCA mornings (probably the third) to starting at DL. If you don’t, you might want to consider if you really want to spend two full days at DCA. Most people don’t. We love the WOC Dessert Party and I think you will love that splurge! Also, where are you staying? I am guessing not on property since you don’t mention early entry?

I’m not sure about Cafe Orleans. I would probably look for another option there. Do you have Park Hoppers? If you do I would recommend changing one of your DCA mornings (probably the third) to starting at DL. If you don’t, you might want to consider if you really want to spend two full days at DCA. Most people don’t. We love the WOC Dessert Party and I think you will love that splurge! Also, where are you staying? I am guessing not on property since you don’t mention early entry?
I'm not the OP, just someone chiming in with what my plans are to help her. My DH and I ate at Cafe Orleans on our last trip just the two of us and really enjoyed it, so we were trying to recreate that experience with our children. Like I said, we may drop it though.

No park hoppers, and we aren't interested in hopping this trip. We really do want to spend two full days at DCA. My kids are huge Cars and Marvel fans. If for some reason we decide we are done with it after our first day there, we will switch the second DCA day to DL. We are excited to try out WOC Dessert Party!

We are staying in a Premium Room at Candy Cane Inn. No EE, but we will have Genie+ and DAS, so I'm not concerned about not having it. We are still planning to rope drop most mornings.

I just did the World of Color dessert party with my daughter. It's fantastic to have a chair for the show (it's a half hour show) and they give you lots of hot chocolate, wine, juice, and the special cocktails before the show. And everyone is very friendly. But the desserts, unfortunately, aren't very good. The fruit is nice, though.

If your triplets want to meet princesses, I highly recommend the Napa Rose Princess Breakfast.
Even better if they dress in princess dresses for the day :idea:
This is expensive, but might be the "once in a lifetime" experience you are searching for.

An excellent recent review.

If your triplets want to meet princesses, I highly recommend the Napa Rose Princess Breakfast.
Even better if they dress in princess dresses for the day :idea:
This is expensive, but might be the "once in a lifetime" experience you are searching for.

An excellent recent review.
Thanks. I've been looking at it, but I'm undecided. We don't have a morning in Anaheim where we don't have park tickets, so it'd have to eat into park time. We have done a ton of great character dining in WDW, including CRT in the castle with the full princess crew, so not sure if it's worth the expense to do it at the hotel.

If picking once in a lifetime show packages, I would definitely prioritize WoC dessert party. We had an absolute blast at that. It's a more unique experience than BB fantasmic since you can eat and drink during the show. I would guess that Fantasmic will also still be in "B mode" in August after the dragon fiasco. River Belle fantasmic package I think is better value than Blue Bayou, but if you're doing to do BB either way then can't hurt to get the package there.

If price is no object, Napa Rose and Carthay Circle are the nicest table service restaurants in my opinion. Blue Bayou is cool scenery if you get a water table, but the food is not very good. Lamplight Lounge is great particularly for brunch or lunch.

You can easily do everything you want to do in 4 days. I would do DL-DCA-DL-DL as starting parks. If you change your mind, you can likely switch the last day from DL to DCA 2 nights before. Harder to switch it in the other direction.

Definitely do a rope drop morning in Fantasyland! Knocking out 5 quick rides in an hour is a memorable thing and something not really as feasible in WDW. Be sure to do Cars and Matterhorn at night, those will really stand out vs WDW as well. Enjoy!
I second the River Belle Premium Fantasmic dining. It is much more value for the money, and you get a seat during the show (and can sit in the area for the Fireworks after). Plus it is a different menu than the standard River Belle Menu (for sure the dessert was).

But I second the other poster if your budget allows for only 1, I would choose BB over River Belle if you really want to eat inside BB. My only caution with BB is that you are eating in there for ambiance not the food, which I will 100% say the ambiance is amazing.

As for your other comments WOC dessert party is great; however, there are dinning packages also that get you standing room that is at a better spot than the Virtual Queue. They don't allow for reservations for it specifically; you just reserve a participating restaurant and ask for the vouchers. Personally, that viewing area always looks empty so I suspect many people don't even know it is an option.

If you have done any dessert part in WDW just know that the WOC dessert party is significantly different. It is a plate of desserts with 2 alcoholic drinks (not unlimited food/drinks like WDW), and if you aren't a party of 4 you may (more likely than not) sit with others at smaller tables. Personally all these "drawbacks" to the WOC dessert party I'd still do it every time if money allowed. I liken the experience to the Frozen Dessert Party they did at Epcot from the ability to eat your desserts and watch Illuminations when they did that, just with the caveats of space is at a premium so you get a set amount of food and smaller tables closer together.

As for the parade, it always seems pretty easy to find a spot so I wouldn't personally worry about the package there. As for Lamplight Lounge on the weekend I recommend the Brunch 100% over the other dining periods (just Brunch is only on weekends and will be specifically labeled as such).

Also for 4 park days, you will be able to see and do everything you want, circling back to doing things multiple times. Much smaller and easier to get around the parks than WDW. I also personally wouldn't stress about which park to start the day at, because parking hopping starts at 11 AM so you really are stuck at the wrong park only a few hours if you are rope drop. If not a rope drop group you can go into any park no matter your reservation starting at 11 AM, again another change vs WDW which only allows APs to do that currently (with some exceptions).

Just to add DLR has better QS in my opinion than WDW, but WDW kills DLR in terms of TS. Most of the TS are very standard American Flair with some regional twists (California, Cajun/Creole) but nothing international with amazing chefs like WDW. So I think you are right to focus on QS over TS but the TS that I think that are standouts (not necessarily for food) would be Cafe Orleans, River Belle (Fantasmic Premium Dining), Blue Bayou, Carthay Circle, and Napa Rose (this one is really for the food, but it is pricey).

QS to try: churros (all the seasonal flavors), Cozy Cone, Jolly Holiday, Award Weiners, Schmoozies, Pym Test Kitchen (fun idea, not necessarily amazing food), Pacific Wharf to name a few.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter