• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Once you go Deluxe, do you ever go Moderate or Value?

I’ll let you know next month:thumbsup2 We are DVC members and bought because we LOVE deluxe. I said I’d never go back. Buuuuut......we used up all of our years points in a huge April trip and when we got home heard that my sister booked a trip for September with my nieces and nephew. My kids have always wanted to go with their cousins. So with only 5 months to save, the ONLY way we could go was to book free dining at ASMU with them. We have to renew our APs anyways so it’s actually a great deal. So I have to admit, I am really scared because I’ve been quite spoiled with AKL and POLY. But it was either that or not go, so we’re going for it. Setting the expectation low, and planning on having a blast with family that we never get to go with.
Please do! Have a great trip!

If you usually go Deluxe, do you ever go Moderate or Value for following trips? What do you base this on and are you satisfied if so?

We have stayed both on and offsite at all levels.

For some trips where we are hitting the parks and not really taking advantage of the resorts, or staying for a shorter stay, it would be fine to stay in one hotel room onsite at any level. For longer trips, I want the pools/water parks/lazy rivers, washer dryer, and at least a one bedroom unit. Having a full kitchen is a perk but not necessary. Our family is at the point where we need more space, so a one or two bedroom unit takes priority over other things. It is becoming necessary to choose between on and offsite. During the times we travel (school breaks), there can be a difference of several thousand dollars between on and offsite one bedroom unit, and even more for a two bedroom.

We are DVC do we have stayed at deluxe resorts mainly. We have however, after running out of points, stayed at SOG. I would also not have a problem staying at a Disney moderate or value if it means we can visit again. POR is our favorite moderate and I actually miss it. Haven't stayed there in three years and would definitely do so if able.
How does SOG compare? We are DVC owners that bought with the intent on 10 day trips once per year. But now we are going twice per year. DH is a veteran so we can do SOG in September. We were considering it next year.

I will say, I grew up on moderates, specifically CBR. That is my “home” resort so to speak (except for the good old days when they would upgrade you to deluxe if they were unusually full or it was a special occasion!) But for our Disney wedding this past year, I stayed at 3 deluxe resorts, SS, BWV, and YC (garden view). The YC garden view was by far the most amazing room, and that was for our actual wedding. The others were for bachelorette and other wedding planning trips. I was not impressed with staying at BWV, but I do love staying in the boardwalk area, either YC or BC or Swalphin. That said, as much as we LOVED our stay at YC, I would go back to CBR (sans construction) any time. We also recently did 1 night at ASmu and 2 nights at POR and I was not impressed with either. I’m thinking it’s because of my extreme bias towards CBR from all of my growing-up memories. BUT also, with that said as well, we are willing to stay just about anywhere if it means a Disney staycation (we are local). My current goal is to get my husband and I 2 nights at GF for our 1 year anniversary. To me, that has always been the crém-de-la-crém of Disney resorts, and we have never stayed there ever, even when I was a kid. So to summarize, even though I’ve stayed Deluxe, I absolutely would go moderate again, and value if it was a quick trip and it was the only way to make it work in-budget.

I will admit that it is hard to stay at a moderate after stays at Deluxe. Don't get me wrong, my family has always enjoyed the trips we chose moderate resorts, however we do prefer the amenities and conveniences that Deluxe resorts offer. WE spend a lot of time at the resort, with just partial days at the parks, and so when we factor our costs we do not look at resort cost as wasted spending.

It's funny, my DH is the one who will say he is happy at a motel 6, however when he drives that bus he drives us right to a deluxe, preferably on the monorail line. Every time I plan a budget trip he tosses that in. "What????? Not the CR? Not the Grand? Not the Poly?" My DD calls him "The Princess" and we alll laugh that the man who wants to keep a budget trip budget has some very expensive notions about WDW travel. He is the guy who insisted we were starving him on a CL stay at the BC because we only scheduled on TS breakfast, and mounted a mutiny. So, the truth is that given a choice my family chooses Deluxe.

We have stayed at a deluxe in 2016 for the first time and then again in 2017... both times at the Beach Club. We absolutely fell in love and it quickly became our favorite resort. Those trips were both Labor Day week though and we got HUGE discounts on the room both times. This year we are going in November, so the discounts from our TA were not as good so we are going back to moderate, at our favorite moderate, POR. We are just as excited for our trip this year as we were with BC. We really love POR. Just being there and being able to go makes it easier.

We always thought we wouldn't be able to go back to the moderates or values after staying at the BC. Now that they are updating the rooms with bigger beds at the values, we may just stay at a value again in the future, to save even more money. But our go-to is always Riverside!

I've been spoiled most of my life always staying deluxe, typically the Poly or WL. My DH had never been when I met him and introduced him to the WL, and he too was hooked. But over the years as the prices climbed higher and higher, we simply couldn't afford them anymore. :sad1:

So we bit the bullet and gave POR a try. DH grumbled the first day (what no balcony??) and that was it. Yes, we had to adjust our expectations, but we found so much around the resort to enjoy. We both loved the resort so much, that is (was) one of our go to resorts. But again, the prices of POR were getting to the deluxe levels (really garden view $250 a night at POR!! :crazy2:) and now our choices seemed even more limited, so be went DVC.

Last summer we decided to do just an over nighter, and I convinced DH to go Value and stay at the Pop Century ($115/night with a 15% off Orbitz deal). Again, you have to adjust your expectations, but both of us were impressed. Is it the same as the WL or Poly, certainly not - but still great stays. :flower:

Last edited:

Yep, we have stayed at all levels and enjoy it. Our upcoming trip in September is split between YC and Pop.
The last trip we took was Pop, CS, Art of Animation. The trip before that was AKL and BC.

I think each group of resorts offers something unique and its worth tying them all out.

I have sort of the opposite problem. Our 1st 4 trips we stayed at Riverside twice and French Quarter twice. This past June for our 5th trip I asked the girls about where to stay and they remembered me raving about how Animal Kingdom treated me on my resort hopping day and they asked for AKL. Now as I plan our 6th trip my angels have informed me that they can never go back to moderates. Turns out its my fault for letting them enjoy the deluxe life. Plus they are now requesting the home of their favorite place to eat Ohana. Yep they want the Poly life now.

We love the deluxe resorts! This summer we wanted to save some money so we gave POR a try. We fell in love with it so much that we are thinking of staying there again next trip instead of a deluxe. The only thing we really missed by staying at POR was being close to the parks. Even on our down days, we found plenty to do around the resort and we truly enjoyed the quietness the resort offered.

So, to answer your question, I think you can go from a deluxe to a moderate and still have a very enjoyable trip. I do think the trip is what you make of it. If you go in with the mindset that you won’t enjoy the trip as much because you’re staying at a moderate, you probably won’t enjoy the trip as much.

WE stay at all levels. It often depends upon the type of trip - theme park centered or relaxing at the resort. OR if we are going with others on a more limited budget we may opt to stay at the same resort with them. OR sometimes we just want a quick, less expensive trip. Plus, we often do split stays with a less expensive resort to start and a finish at a deluxe CL.
We enjoy all levels in different ways. Just adjust your expectations and plan to enjoy the strengths of the resort that you are visiting this time. WE find little details to love at every resort. Of course, there are advantages to deluxe resorts, but the values have their charms, too. Go with a fun attitude and you will find the things that you love regardless of the resort level. They are all Disney, so have special touches that are magical, IMO. It is fun to experience them all!

Per the response it is really based on individual circumstances and personal preferences. We have done the full gambit and there are not a lot we have not stayed at but have settled into what is comfortable for us. But we are a couple with grown kids and veterans of over 37 trips now and alternate trips between POFQ and PoP. We will do AoA Little Mermaid for our trip in September as we have never stayed there before but our December Holiday trip is booked for PoP. We try to keep individual trip costs down because we like to go three times or more a year. So AP's and Value or Moderate allows for that and since it's just the two of us and we like to spend time in the parks and touring and shopping Disney Springs and other resorts it works fine for us and we don't need all that much room. Our biggest spurge cost wise it to get preferred or River View rooms.

We have not, but with that being said, I would not be adverse to it if it meant going two to three times a year!!!
We have stayed in the moderates and like them just as much, however the kids are now adults and the extra room is appreciated!!

We have almost always stayed Deluxe, but we did do one stay at POR, and we enjoyed it. We had a room close to one of the bus stops, which was convenient. I think what it usually comes down to, for us, is that a lot of Deluxe Resorts offer the option to walk to at least one of the parks (or take a monorail or boat). We don't have to close up our stroller and deal with the buses. That convenience is well worth the extra cost.

Another factor with young kids is space. We did a couple of DVC villa stays just to have the separate bedroom. As far as I know, the Moderates do not offer that. AoA would be our only other option, and it's almost as expensive as some of the Deluxe resorts.

We have stayed at WL and AKL, which are Deluxe that mostly required buses (WL does have boat service). Sometimes I do wonder if, at that point, we might as well just save some $ and go Moderate. I have never felt like the rooms or service were lesser quality at Moderates, and I don't care particularly if we have a view or balcony. Sometimes the food courts and themeing are as-good or better than a Deluxe.

Sure! In summer it’s always Deluxe because of more resort time, but in the past I’d stay moderate too, sometimes split stays. I’m happy at POR, my fav moderate. In winter it’s usually moderate and last Dec tried Pop, because we weren’t planning much Resort time. I liked the new rooms, but values are so huge and it was a long walk. In summer heat, and afternoon rain storms I wouldn’t be a fan of the bus queues with no protection at the values.

Honestly...I can't! Never stayed value, but stayed at POR a few times before staying at WL. Haven't been able to go back since. Have had POR booked a few times only to upgrade every time.

I do agree re: the food court. I loved the one at POR, but find the QS options at WL and the Epcot resorts to be lacking. I enjoyed the MK resort options, though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter