one day trip - any advice?

fastzebra

Earning My Ears
I made plans and finalized to take my 8 yr old grandson to Legoland for 2 days at the end of August. After a good bit of research I'm realizing that 2 days at Legoland is probably 1 day too many. So naturally, I start thinking what disney park can we go to for that second day? We would be staying off-site as I've already paid for the hotel. My grandson is ASD, so the focus is just on having fun and not so much cramming in too much on that one day. We have a longer trip planned for next November. thank you in advance for suggestions!
:thanks:

Magic Kingdom

do as much or as little as you would like, but it is the most special park, especially if it's his first time at Disney.

What are his interests? If your focus is on having fun and not cramming a lot in, you may want to consider AK. MK can be sensory overload for some ASD kids. There is not much more to do there than wait in lines and ride rides. My DS10, who is on the spectrum, can handle about 4 rides in MK and then we need to move on to something else. At AK, in addition to rides, you can walk the animal trails, watch shows, go to Rafiki's Planet Watch, etc. There are just so many more things to there than just ride rides and have to worry about FP+ or waiting in lines.

I would go against the grain and say NOT Magic Kingdom.

If there's a larger trip on the horizon with more pomp and circumstance, the big reveal of MK might be better left for that. The earlier suggestion of AK is a good one, also DHS if Star Wars or Toy Story is an interest.

Last edited:

Toy Story Land would be definitely an interest! Granted I wouldn't be able to get fast passes for the Tier 1.

I say AK. It’s a really fun park and I think a 8 year old boy would enjoy it.

He is very into animals. This isn’t so easy to decide. No one has said Epcot so that’s one down maybe?

He is very into animals. This isn’t so easy to decide. No one has said Epcot so that’s one down maybe?

Honestly, EP is great, too. Lots of interesting rides and a lot of things to do in FW that will be inside (it's pretty darn hot in August) and don't require FP+. My DS10 loves the two shows in Innoventions (Spectaculab and Colortopia), walking around in the aquarium, doing the games after Spaceship Earth, etc. It just can get pretty darn hot walking around World Showcase.

In AK, they also have Wilderness Explorers (which I forgot to mention). They give the kids a booklet and you then walk around AK and do hands-on activities and get stickers - my DS loved that as well.

That's the one thing I was concerned about with AK was the heat. However, so far I am leaning AK, with HS as a close second.

I don't think with it being a party date, MK will work out for us unfortunately.

MK would be less crowded on a party day but I think you could go more at his pace in AK, especially if he likes animals. And the Wilderness Explorer's activity is fun and he may enjoy that

Thanks to everyone for the help. I think it will be AK. He saw the commercial on Disney channel where the little girl was so excited about “glowing” in Pandora at night and he asked if we could do that. So that settles it:yay:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter