One for the books

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice. :thumbsup2

I nominate this and the blurry "Beast" photo in the backwoods of France (credit surferdave) for posts of the week.

I guess I should also credit surferdave with an assist since the Godzilla reference was inspired by a humorous link he posted on message board personalities. Sadly, that thread, which was similarly acrimonious, was deleted, so I can't find the link.

Ok...I'm going to take a few laps around the drama pool!

We've all done the "oops, I forgot to turn my flash off, or you did and the camera's like "not today...you are not turning me off!" and the flash goes off by accident. Ok..sorry don't let it happen again. flashes really do disturb the setting of the ride. The darkness is ther for a purpose. I know...everyone knows that. I don't care if it is your first ride or your 10 millionth ride...it should still be enjoyable and flash free!

Please don't flame me for this. When I was a kid 4,5,6,7,8 years of age...and older...we didn't have flashlights or glow sticks, we didn't have breaks in the day, or entertainment in the lines. You got scared, the nearest adult was the safe haven. You got tired, you took a nap in the stoller or Hall of Presidents :-)rotfl:), you were bored in a long line...you played guessing games..or oh my gosh you talked to each other. I think people (young and old) are too much "it's about me" and not "it's about all of us." Where was I going on this soap box. Bottom line...if providing some type of comfort for your child allows the rest of the group to enjoy an activity...by all means do it, but be mindful of those around you trying to make their own memories as well. I also say...people have no home training anymore! :lmao:

I'm sure all those 1000+ DIS posters could come up with a very good solution to combat those evil flashers.

And I thought people left other boards to come to DIS because we were nicer!

rofl disney fanatics are snarky! You would think we'd be the most happiest, magical whistling people in the world... but noooooo we are some snarky suckas.

Me, on a ride with no distractions:
Happy_mine.jpg

With flash photography:
hug_snow-white-and-the-seven-dwarfs_grumpy.jpg

If dark rides bothered my child, then we wouldn't ride. We'd wait until she was more comfortable with that type of attraction before we did.

I can't believe I had to read three pages before someone said this.

I said it up above you. Great minds think alike, they say. :)
We hit the nail on the head, me thinks.

Oh my, I just read this entire thread (when I should have been folding the laundry or something) and I must say, I love the DIS. Informative, entertaining and the perfect excuse to get absolutely nothing accomplished for the morning.

On topic, I once accidentally left my flash on for a ride photo and felt so completely embarrassed and miserable through the entire ride experience that I had to ride it again without my camera. I am kind of a "rule person" and feel like I've committed a felony when I break a rule.

I have also been known to allow people to "meet their party ahead of me in line". Thanks DIS for giving me some wonderful responses to these line jumpers.

Signed,

Former Disney Wimp:guilty:

Clearly, some people think that being a member on Disboards makes them the Disney police. If a Cast Member was to tell me to stop, I would right away..

So just out of curiosity what part of the, no flash photography announcements don't apply to you?

mesaboy2 said:
Quote:

Originally Posted by ChloesDaddy

Nice.

I nominate this and the blurry "Beast" photo in the backwoods of France (credit surferdave) for posts of the week.

sorry, I have to veto surferdave, his next post was a blatant whiff on my sarcasm.

Posted from Disboards.com App for Android

rofl disney fanatics are snarky! You would think we'd be the most happiest, magical whistling people in the world... but noooooo we are some snarky suckas.

The dis is nothing. A woman I work with is on a mommy board and those ladies are downright nasty!

The dis is nothing. A woman I work with is on a mommy board and those ladies are downright nasty!

Hahaha!!! Yeah those mommy wars people are some of the worst people on this planet. I just smile and nod and parent how I want to.

First I am going to start this by saying I don't take pictures on rides. I will take one picture as we are boarding the ride before we get past the loading area(mainly so I have a record of what we did and when so I can write it down later) and then put the camera away. If I want a picture on the ride, there are many better places to get one then my own camera (and I even ask permission to use them in my personal photobook). I'm not going to get as good a picture as I can find elsewhere.

With that said - I searched on our last trip over Thanksgiving for these signs that are posted everywhere saying no flash photography and I found them on very, very few rides. They were not at the start of all dark rides. They were not in the ride cars. I did not hear the announcements that is proclaimed on here frequently. I actually did look for and was paying attention for this at times. I swear I am not unobservant but I did not see this bold blatent signage that gets thrown around here frequently.

I didn't ride all the dark rides but I can only remember seeing/hearing a sign/announcement on one or 2 rides. Several shows made annoucements about video lights but did not specifically mention flash photography. Some did mention flash photograhy but it was not as wide spread as it is made out here.

Thanks for the great advice. I do not use my camera on dark rides because I do not know how to use it without a flash. NOW I CAN!!!! You rock.:banana:

Ditto! going to save the post and hopefully I can at some point get a good picture in the dark. :) :woohoo:

I'm one of those people that doesn't go nuts if someone takes pictures on a ride. I do it myself!! Everyone tell me what a horrible person I am!!

Anywho, if your granddaughter will feel more comfortable with a flashlight, go for it! She should be able to enjoy rides just like everyone else. I wouldn't worry about other people.

Enjoy!

At the expense of everyone else.

I would do flash photography... but i think me wearing nothing but a trench coat would be too conspicuous....

I did not read the entire thread (I would need a shave) but I get the gist, and I think the whole discussion is ridiculous given the fact that it's against the park rules to take flash photography on these rides. Just as you are not allowed to smoke or bring drinks on these rides, no flash photography is a posted rule.

Maybe I should ignore the rules and light up a cigarette while on the ride. Let's see a CM catch me. By the time they stopped the ride and investigated, I would have ditched the cigarette. I don't care about other people. I want to smoke. I know it's against the rules, but since I know I can get away with it, I will do it.

I actually don't smoke but I think it's a good analogy. If you know something is against the rules and that it might disturb other people, but you still have no moral dilemma against doing it, then you are a selfish jerk. Simple as that. End of discussion.

Last September, I went to Florence, Italy. Because of the many international visitors, there were numerous signs featuring a camera with it's flash going off and the traditional "circle and bar" symbol over it. I knew not to take flash photos. What I didn't know was that sometimes, ALL photography was prohibited and this was the only sign they had. It was hit or miss and I am now in possession of an illegal photo from the Medici Chapel I didn't know I had.

I am always willing to follow rules if said rules can be communicated. I do believe the European sign for "No Flash Photography" is well understood by all nationalities. I figured it out and don't speak Italian.

Now, I don't recall all the symbolic signs on WDW rides...except the ever present no dancing and grab a random child by the hand ones, but I would think the "no flash photography" could be everywhere if they wanted.

Well this was entertaining...! :upsidedow

To me, a dark ride is akin to a movie theater experience. Bright lights (flash photos, phone screen, whatever) are disturbing to fellow patrons. No one likes to be behind the person who checks their iphone 20 times in a movie theater. Same concept applies on Pirates.

I don't feel comfortable saying anything when it happens, but it's annoying as all heck. It distracts and takes away from the experience.

I do feel for the scared kids! I remember sitting out with my mom and crying while my dad/sister went on many rides, because i was too scared. But for scaredy-pants me, my choice was either get over it, or don't ride! :) (For the record, in due time I got over it.)

Just felt like chiming into this for some reason!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter