One handed scooter? + other questions

Vicki926

Mouseketeer
Hi all, my husband had a brain hemorrhage in 2017 and was left both bad balance and a limp, as well as a paralyzed right arm. Prior to that we had gone once a year since 1992, but this will be our first trip back and I’m anxious about how we will be able to deal with everything.
He can walk while holding my hand, a fair distance, we usually walk about a mile at a time, but we know that there’s a lot of walking so we are thinking of getting a scooter.
I think you can get a scooter where you can use it one handed, but wanted to know how easy it was to use and steer, if anyone has the same issue.
Im thinking of getting a DAS pass, do you get this at city hall in MK?

One more question, if we just walk into a ride without utilizing the pass, for something like a continually loading ride, that he would need slowed down in order to step both on and out of, do we tell them?
I don’t think on Haunted Mansion, for example, he could get out fast enough on the moving walkway after the ride. How do they know?

You get the DAS pass at any guest relation in any park

You do not need the DAS pass to have the moving walk ways stopped you just need to tell the CM at the ride you need the rides slowed or stopped

If you’re on a scooter - the CM will ask you if you’re able to walk and navigate the moving walkways - at least - that’s been my experience

If you’re on a scooter - the CM will ask you if you’re able to walk and navigate the moving walkways - at least - that’s been my experience
Thank you! I think he will probably not use the scooter the whole time, he’ll just walk through the queue. I’m probably overthinkI g things. 😅

I often operate the rental ECV with one hand or the other because my hands "fall asleep" due to carpal tunnel and some arthritis too I guess. I know the ones I've rented from Gold Mobility and from Buena Vista had the type of "tiller" that you could operate with your finger to control the speed and that worked well for me. I wish I could remember how it worked but it seems you can operate them with one hand (steer and use your finger to push the tiller to control the speed). Perhaps they also make ones that are modified to be operated with one hand but just noting that you might be able to rent the regular scooter from those companies that used that sort of mechanism to operate it. You could call and ask perhaps?

Many scooters’ throttles can be operated by either hand. It does take some arm strength to steer a scooter. My concern would be steering quickly in the direction opposite his “good” arm, basically having to push away with his left to steer right.

it should be a bit easier with a three-wheel than a four-wheel scooter. Note that three wheelers generally have less weight capacity.

The DAS is usually issued if there is an problem with waiting in line that is not caused by a mobility/stamina concern. It’s not issued based on diagnosis.

You would need to explain to the cast member at guest relations your concerns about waiting in line and how waiting elsewhere would alleviate the concern.

safe travels!

I know this isn't an ideal situation, but its what we do. Due to both of my wrists being fused (plates and screws in each) and now both shoulders needing reverse shoulder replacement. (Thank you arthritis!). We rent a three wheel scooter with the captain's chair from Gold Mobility (3 years now). My adult daughter actually walks "driving" the scooter while walking on my right side. I sit back and enjoy the ride. We have been doing this for at least four trips to Disney. I've asked her if its hard. Her reply has always been, its easier than pushing you in a wheelchair. Might it be possible for you or someone in your party to offer this type of assistance?

For rides and shows in line, if she doesn't fit side by side, she actually walks backwards!!! Yes, the grands call it "Grammie's Cadillac". I hope to continue our annual visits, for as long as possible!!

Many scooters’ throttles can be operated by either hand. It does take some arm strength to steer a scooter. My concern would be steering quickly in the direction opposite his “good” arm, basically having to push away with his left to steer right.

it should be a bit easier with a three-wheel than a four-wheel scooter. Note that three wheelers generally have less weight capacity.

The DAS is usually issued if there is an problem with waiting in line that is not caused by a mobility/stamina concern. It’s not issued based on diagnosis.

You would need to explain to the cast member at guest relations your concerns about waiting in line and how waiting elsewhere would alleviate the concern.

safe travels!
Thanks! He has a lot of strength in his good arm and no weight issues. I’ll look at the 3 wheeled scooter.
Thanks for the info about the DAS, if it’s not stamina than we’ll just skip getting one, because that would be his only issue.
I appreciate your help!

If you are using Disney transportation to get around to the parks especially the buses then I would consider getting the scooter on and off for him. We find this to be somewhat difficult.

I would think about going to a local activity like a zoo where you can rent scooters and see how he does with a scooter there. It will be good practice. Keep in mind Disney parks will be more crowded.

Don't know if you can handle it or if you have others with you but you may want to consider a manual wheelchair instead and push him around. This can be used in the ride queues. There are a few rides where the wheelchair can go on the ride.

There are electric portable wheelchairs that work with what I call a joystick. I'm not sure how easy it is to rent one with a left sided joystick. I would think this might be easier in his case. I would practice at the resort before using it at the parks.

Please understand you will have people especially kids darting out in front of you. You have to have good reflexes to stop or move quickly out of the way.

There are electric portable wheelchairs that work with what I call a joystick. I'm not sure how easy it is to rent one with a left sided joystick. I would think this might be easier in his case. I would practice at the resort before using it at the parks.

They can move the joystick to whatever side. You just need to tell them.

If you are using Disney transportation to get around to the parks especially the buses then I would consider getting the scooter on and off for him. We find this to be somewhat difficult.

I would think about going to a local activity like a zoo where you can rent scooters and see how he does with a scooter there. It will be good practice. Keep in mind Disney parks will be more crowded.

Don't know if you can handle it or if you have others with you but you may want to consider a manual wheelchair instead and push him around. This can be used in the ride queues. There are a few rides where the wheelchair can go on the ride.

Please understand you will have people especially kids darting out in front of you. You have to have good reflexes to stop or move quickly out of the way.

Thanks for all the info. He can walk, so doesn’t need a wheelchair on the ride and an electric wheelchair isn’t something he wants.

This is way more overwhelming than we thought, lol, so he’s decided to walk, and if he needs to rest, we’ll rest and if it gets really tiring, I’ll run and get him a wheelchair.

thank you all for all the info, if we come back another time for a longer trip(we have only 2 park days this time), we’ll revisit the scooter issue.

Manual wheelchairs do not need to be used every minute. First, it can act as a walker if pushed empty by your husband. You mentioned balance issues. If he needs a rest you have a guaranteed seat to use. The average trek in a Disney park is 6 miles; this includes walking in and out of attractions. How much does he walk at home? Also, wheelchairs can be parked for a while like for going on rides; just don't put it in the way of anything.

Hoping you have a great trip.

Thanks for all the info. He can walk, so doesn’t need a wheelchair on the ride and an electric wheelchair isn’t something he wants.

This is way more overwhelming than we thought, lol, so he’s decided to walk, and if he needs to rest, we’ll rest and if it gets really tiring, I’ll run and get him a wheelchair.

thank you all for all the info, if we come back another time for a longer trip(we have only 2 park days this time), we’ll revisit the scooter issue.

I hope that all this info hasn't made you think it is too difficult. I have badly arthritic knees but I also had a brain injury from an accident a few years back that also affected my balance and some other things. I generally use the ECV for long distances and will park it and walk some (like shopping in stores). It's really not hard to operate an ECV and using one has made a world of difference for my enjoyment of the parks so I hope he will reconsider. I think he may enjoy the freedom of the ECV to go and do what he wants. I usually am only able to visit during the busiest times (spring break, 4th of July, etc) and have never had trouble operating the ECV in crowds, etc. I never practiced driving one until I picked it up and drove it around my resort a bit. Especially if you're going to Epcot the walking is very tiring. I actually have discovered that Disney World is about the only place I can go and really enjoy a vacation because I can come and go as I please, I can go all day and do everything I want and not be awake all night in pain from my knees. The freedom that ECV allows is really amazing.

If he would reconsider you may want to call a company like Buena Vista or Gold Mobility (I've used both and was able to operate their regular 3 wheel scooter with one hand) and ask them your questions about one hand operation, etc.

Wanted to update in case anyone else had the same issue: we’re at WDW now and rented an ECV in the parks. Super simple, completely able to drive them with one hand. Since we rented from WDW, we didn’t have to get them on and off any transportation, so we avoided that, but I think he would have been fine with that as well, had he rented from an outside company.

Like you said, getting on and off rides was simple, they stopped it for Buzz and Peter Pan when I asked , Haunted Mansion they just slowed it down a little and he was fine. peoplemover was fine as is. He didn’t use the ECV in any line, so I can’t speak to that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter