• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

One last deployment.... And it's really getting to me

Iyeag he is deployed for a yr you can fly space-A unaccompanied why don't you hop over to Korea this summer to visit.

This is no longer true. the Army does not consider an assignment in Korea a deployment but rather a PCS. Soldiers who agree to a two or three year tour can get command sponsership and take thier dependants along. And lots of families go non commanbd sponsered. However based on the length of career i would guess that the OP and her spouse have middle or high school aged children who will fare better in the long run if he takes the 1 year assignment and they stay behind even if it sucks.
OP hang in there girl-you know you can get thru this one day at a time. Get into your deployment routine and it will go by faster than you think. Is there any chance you can take your children and go to Korea for his mid tour? That would be an excellent experience for all of you and would give you something to look forward too.

Way back in 92, we were stationed with a couple that were just returning from a one year stint in Korea. She was over there on their dime. They paid to get her over there and back. They both said that they wouldn't have done it any other way. It was an life experiance they wouldn't have ever had the chance to do again. They had no kids, so was an easy option for them to take.

OP, even for a mid year break, your DH wouldn't consider a vacation with you and the kids in Hawaii. That way he doesn't have to come all the way back stateside.

My husband is just finishing his third deployment. He comes home in about 3 weeks. He has been gone for 11 months. I know what your feeling. 11 months ago I was beyond stressed, and depressed, and felt like it would be the longest year of my life, and had no idea how I was possibly going to make it through. But now, at the end of it all, looking back - the year flew by. Yeah, it was hard at times, but we (my kids and I) still found joy in our every day lives. I found a LOT of comfort in God and church. I dont know if you have tried that, but the peace of God is incomparable to anything else in this world. Try reading Faith Deployed and Faith Deployed Again, both by Jocelyn Green. Another fantastic book was Confessions of a Military Wife by Mollie Gross. Very funny, and comforting at the same time. Just remember, like everyone has said already, there is a light at the end of the tunnel. It will be over before you know it. I know it doesnt feel like it now, but I promise it is true.

Army brat here. Just remember, "they also serve who only stand and wait". That was my mother's mantra for nearly forty years as an Army wife.

Thanks for YOUR service along with your husband's.

People who understand your situation have already given you some good advice. All I can offer you is good wishes & a hope that the time will pass quick as a flash & you can soon be looking at it from the other side, relieved it went much better than you ever dared hope.

Sending you my deepest thanks for the sacrifices you're both making, pixie dusted days that fly by and hugs and support any time you need it during the next year.

I come from a military family but I have to say it again -- a year is a very long time. We're lucky our deployments in Canada are only 6 months and my brother and our friends always come home once (which isn't always a good thing for them, but it is good for the kids).

But....Korea is a great place to visit. My cousin's inlaws were missionaries there and they visited them several times. Your kids are older so they would get a lot out of a trip to Korea.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter