One Time Use Points

WDWNY

DIS Veteran
Question about one time use points... I've never used/ purchased them before so I'm not really familiar with them except for the concept of it.

If I book a room for 90 points. (60 banked) can I purchase 30 one time use points like 2 months before the actual vacation to pay for the 30 points so I could save them? Or do they have to be purchased at time of reservation? The trip isn't a for sure thing yet which is why I don't want to purchase them making the reservation. I thought it would be a good way to not touch this years points. Hopefully this makes sense. lol

Question about one time use points... I've never used/ purchased them before so I'm not really familiar with them except for the concept of it.

If I book a room for 90 points. (60 banked) can I purchase 30 one time use points like 2 months before the actual vacation to pay for the 30 points so I could save them? Or do they have to be purchased at time of reservation? The trip isn't a for sure thing yet which is why I don't want to purchase them making the reservation. I thought it would be a good way to not touch this years points. Hopefully this makes sense. lol

If I understand you correctly, you would need to purchase points at the time of the reservation confirmation if you indeed need more points than you have available in that use year and/or have none to borrow for the rez. In all my years as a member I have never purchase the 1 time points, as it's a relatively new option in relation to the length I've been a member, but I THINK the most you can purchase is 25 points for 1 time use?? I'm sure someone else can verify that part. Good luck with everything! :-)

If I understand you correctly, you would need to purchase points at the time of the reservation confirmation if you indeed need more points than you have available in that use year and/or have none to borrow for the rez. In all my years as a member I have never purchase the 1 time points, as it's a relatively new option in relation to the length I've been a member, but I THINK the most you can purchase is 25 points for 1 time use?? I'm sure someone else can verify that part. Good luck with everything! :-)
I don't need more points, I have enough but I wanted to "switch" my current use year points for one time points so I could bank more current use year points for next year.

Hmmm, that is different than what I thought you meant. Sorry. :o

I have not heard of a requirement that a member needs to be out of points to purchase...... but again, I'm not totally up on the one time use points purchase..... If someone here doesn't chime in, I'd give MS a call at your convenience. Let us know what you find out! :-)

Hmmm, that is different than what I thought you meant. Sorry. :o

I have not heard of a requirement that a member needs to be out of points to purchase...... but again, I'm not totally up on the one time use points purchase..... If someone here doesn't chime in, I'd give MS a call at your convenience. Let us know what you find out! :-)
Thank you! no worries, I was confusing myself writing the post haha

Thank you! no worries, I was confusing myself writing the post haha

Hey WDWNY, I copied and pasted from dvcmember.com the following re: One Time Use Vacation Points. Hope this helps!

What are one-time-use Vacation Points, and how do I use them?
A.
As a Disney Vacation Club Member, occasionally you may find yourself in need of just few extra Vacation Points in order to book that perfect dream vacation. You can bank, borrow and transfer from another Contract. Or take advantage of another option: one-time-use Vacation Points.

You have the option to purchase up to 24 additional Vacation Points each Use Year. One-time-use points may be used for Disney Vacation Club accommodations in the 7-month booking window. One-time-use points may not be used for Home Resort Priority. A Member may purchase one-time-use Vacation Points for Disney Collection and World Collection reservations, provided the booking window for that trip is open (for example, Disney Cruise Line reservations may be open up to 2 years in advance). One-time-use Vacation Points may not be purchased for Concierge Collection reservations.

The purchase just needs to occur at the time you're making the reservation that requires them.

• Rates are subject to change, but currently Members enjoy a rate of $17 ($15.11 plus $1.89 tax) per one-time-use Vacation Point.
  • You won't be able to cancel or refund your purchase of one-time use Vacation Points, nor will you be able to transfer, bank, or borrow them.
  • In the event that your trip does not unfold as planned and your reservation must be canceled, be aware that one-time-use Vacation Points expire at the end of your Use Year.
Availability of one-time-use Vacation Points may be limited or suspended from time to time, and the fee is subject to change.

To take advantage of one-time-use Vacation Points, contact Member Services at (800) 800-9800† or (407) 566-3800†.

Hey WDWNY, I copied and pasted from dvcmember.com the following re: One Time Use Vacation Points. Hope this helps!

What are one-time-use Vacation Points, and how do I use them?
Thank you so much! I don't think the one time use points were $17 each when I bought and that was just 3 years ago! Scary. lol

Thank you so much! I don't think the one time use points were $17 each when I bought and that was just 3 years ago! Scary. lol

They would have been $15 then.

Along with only 24 being available to buy, you would have to make that part of the reservation at 7 months, if the dates were still available.

You can’t make the reservation then later pay for it.

Not sure why you don’t want to touch the current years points. I say use your points until you’ve borrowed until you’re on empty, then get OTU. :)

No you can not purchase 30 one time points because the max you can buy is 24 points

FWIW they let me "replace" current UY points with OTU points on an existing reservation. However, the number of points I purchased were less than the number of points for nights still available on RAT at the time. So, basically, you should not be allowed to "replace" points if there is no current availability for your trip dates. I had six nights booked, and only 1 night was still available to book online. But, it wasn't like they actually cancelled and re-booked or anything. They just let me purchase the points and then reallocated. I was reallocating a whole lot more than that though. Perhaps they were just frustrated with me and since it was only a few points, they let is pass.

For me, I know that I may be fully borrowing out for my 2019 trip and still short 3 points IF I can't get at least 1 standard BWV studio. I bought 3 OTU points now, so that I can book next years trip myself (online) at the 11 mo mark. If I'm lucky enough to get 1 or both value studios, I just won't have to do as much borrowing. Totally worth $51.

No you can not purchase 30 one time points because the max you can buy is 24 points

I believe it’s 24 per contract #. If you have 2 different contracts you can purchase 2 sets of 24 etc.. and they can only be purchase within 7 months of reservation.

I believe it’s 24 per contract #. If you have 2 different contracts you can purchase 2 sets of 24 etc.. and they can only be purchase within 7 months of reservation.
It’s 24 per membership. Multiple contracts with the same use year and deeded the same are the same membership. Different use years are separate memberships.

But you could not combine the OTU points for a single reservation. You'd have to make multiple reservations and see if they could be linked.

I am positive if your reservation was not made at the 7 month mark you cannot replace points with one time use points. One time use points cannot be used at the 11 month mark. It would have to be like 4luv2cdisney said where there was availability at the time at the 7 month mark and points were used to get those dates with the OTU points. As to how the system handles the switch only Member Services would know.

BTW, DVC eliminated the requirement to be out of your current year points to buy OTU. We had other plans for our current year points to be used at the 11 month mark and purchased OTU points for a new 7 month reservation.

. . . . . For me, I know that I may be fully borrowing out for my 2019 trip and still short 3 points IF I can't get at least 1 standard BWV studio. I bought 3 OTU points now, so that I can book next years trip myself (online) at the 11 mo mark. If I'm lucky enough to get 1 or both value studios, I just won't have to do as much borrowing. Totally worth $51.

Do you understand the one time use points will not be available for use at the 11 month mark? See Post 7 above. At the 7 month mark you will need to see if you can add a day using the OTU points. I don't really understand how you got 3 OTU points in advance because the only way you get them is to have MS book a reservation and you buy the points right away and then after you cancel that reservation. The OTU points don't expire until the end of your UY. But to use those 3 points later you need to call MS to make the reservation at the 7 month mark.

Do you understand the one time use points will not be available for use at the 11 month mark? See Post 7 above. At the 7 month mark you will need to see if you can add a day using the OTU points. I don't really understand how you got 3 OTU points in advance because the only way you get them is to have MS book a reservation and you buy the points right away and then after you cancel that reservation. The OTU points don't expire until the end of your UY. But to use those 3 points later you need to call MS to make the reservation at the 7 month mark.

I used the OTU points to replace 2018 points that I will now use at the 11 month mark for a 2019 reservation.

So, I booked an 11 month reservation, after 7 months rolled around and I found a night / room type available matching my already booked trip, I called MS to purchase OTU points to "replace" a day (well not even a full day because MS said I didn't have to do it that way, but that's what I intended) thus freeing up the points I might need for the next trip which I will book 11 months in advance.

What I did was actually a little more complicated because I had recently banked transferred in points, added a day to my trip, changed who was in which rooms, and was basically reallocating a whole bunch of points, but..... this is the simple version as it applies to this thread.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter