• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Online Dating

You might be right.

I said I’d give this 30 days, it’s been 6 - 7 weeks. I think it’s time to end this experiment.
It might not hurt to consider just pulling back, and not out. Don't search, but if you get a message and it really sparks your interest, that's awesome. But become less invested, stop searching yourself and see what happens :)

I did a bit of online dating back when it very first started. At the time, it was unusual for girls to actually post photos because we all were afraid it was dangerous. But you still got guys reaching out.

I met one fellow at a mall, to talk and visit. We sat on a bench. He was a good bit older than me, and nice enough, but I didn't want to have a date date.

Interestingly enough, he brought a show and tell item, a little antique knick knack to show me and talk about. I thought that was funny, thoughtful and creative of him.

Another guy, I did go out with several times. Turns out he was considerably shorter than he said, He was 5'5" or 5'6" and listed his height at 5'9" I didn't like that he had lied about that fact.

He was a nice guy.

Another guy reached out to me, to warn me about parking next to white vans in shopping center parking lots.

My girl did a lot of online dating. One fellow picked her up in a bright orange car. She tentatively said "War Eagle?" and he didn't know what she was talking about. He just liked the color orange, haha.

I did the online scene for a bit but stepped back with just so so results. The job I'm in also makes me super suspicious of the guys that message but that's on me.
I do think you need to trust your gut when it comes to online dating. Unfortunately lots of bad people out there
I'll probably try it again.

I wish guys didn't feel that pressure to be taller, don't fudge the truth on your dating profile but darn if those societal pressures aren't strong on some things.
:confused: Do the dating apps require men to list their heights? Do they require women to list their weights? I'd imagine both stats would be reported inaccurately pretty often.

Height and body type are listed for both sexes. I am sure they are both fudged by both sexes as well.
:confused3 Seems like a dumb thing to even bother asking. When you're reviewing profiles, do you tend to assume people are telling the truth? Of the ones you've met, have they looked like they describe themselves?

Height and body type are listed for both sexes. I am sure they are both fudged by both sexes as well.
Do they say "athletic", "fit", etc? Or do they actually list weight in lbs? My assumption (which could be wrong) is that it would likely be actual height body type more type of body not actual weight whereas height it most often listed in actual feet and inches.

:confused3 Seems like a dumb thing to even bother asking. When you're reviewing profiles, do you tend to assume people are telling the truth? Of the ones you've met, have they looked like they describe themselves?
I don't see why anyone would lie. But I also don't see the point in posting decades old photo's either. I think it is as important as other things they ask like political leaning, religion, drinking, smoking, drugs, etc. All these things matter when picking a mate. Some more than others, to some people.

Of the ones I've three I've meet. One had photos that were a good 5 - 10 years old. One had photo's that made him look younger, older and one that was pretty right on. The last one was resembled his photo's and he had said he wasn't thin but he had obviously gained some weight since the photo's were taken, which was not a big deal to me.

Do they say "athletic", "fit", etc? Or do they actually list weight in lbs? My assumption (which could be wrong) is that it would likely be actual height body type more type of body not actual weight whereas height it most often listed in actual feet and inches.
Just body type. Athletic, fit, curvy, overweight, thin, BBW, Big & Tall, etc. Difference sites/apps have different categories. And yes height is actual feet & inches.

I wish guys didn't feel that pressure to be taller, don't fudge the truth on your dating profile but darn if those societal pressures aren't strong on some things.

Poor guy was probably hoping he'd have a better chance getting a first meeting if he said he was taller and then hoped his charm would win the girl over.

Two I met up with were exactly as they described and their photo shown. One was older and weighed a significant amount more than his photos.

Are guys still doing the photos from a formal event with a girlfriend and the girlfriend is blotted out? I found that off-putting.

I’ll throw out there that I don’t know my height ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ possibly other guys don’t too? The stick came out of the thing at the Drs I go to and never really cared to find out. Closest I can give you is I have to bend my knees and slouch so they will let me on Rip ride rocket at Universal so add a couple inches to their height restriction? :rotfl2: Height has never really mattered to me.

I’ll throw out there that I don’t know my height ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ possibly other guys don’t too? The stick came out of the thing at the Drs I go to and never really cared to find out. Closest I can give you is I have to bend my knees and slouch so they will let me on Rip ride rocket at Universal so add a couple inches to their height restriction? :rotfl2: Height has never really mattered to me.
Height is typically something women have looked at more; you don't get the saying "tall, dark and handsome" for no reason. Conversely since weight was brought up I'd say men tend to look at that more than height in women (both carry stigmas).

To your point though if a guy doesn't know he'll probably just say what you said that you don't honestly know/pay attention rather than give a number he honestly doesn't have a clue if it's accurate or not. Unfortunately guys tend to have a stigma when they are short(er) though that goes for when women are tall(er). My sister is 6ft, she def. felt insecure about that when she was younger (she's married now to a guy slightly shorter than her).

Saw a profile last night that the guy didn't even have one picture of his face, only one picture and it was a back/side view.
But I saw him list some initials about his personality type and then FWB and it took me a bit to remember that was "friends with benefits".
Well, at least he's honest. But I wonder how many women really go for that. :scratchin :rolleyes:

But I wonder how many women really go for that. :scratchin :rolleyes:
Why wouldn't they? I mean women can want and have friends with benefits too

All dating sites really should be is people looking for the same thing. If you're wanting a marriage, a long-term relationship, a casual relationship, no relationship just companionship, friends with benefits, or just hook ups only whatever, I'd just want them to be upfront about that. If you're looking for a relationship and the other person isn't and you both engage in this song and dance that's going to be where it can mess with people.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter