Only get std. view room at Disney resort???

kda

DIS Veteran
We just purchased at WLV, but haven't gotten all our info yet. I've been checking with MS about availability and using some of our points to stay at AKL in early September. We know it's a better value to use our points at one of the DVC resorts, but we really want to see AKL, and now we have all these points available to use before December. I was told that for 55 points (on a weekend), I'm only going to get a standard view room -----I could request a savannah view, but it wouldn't be guaranteed. Now that REALLY doesn't seem to be good use of our points. I doubt that we'll ever use points at one of the resorts, unless we truly don't care about the view.

Would you please share what your experience has been in requesting a room with a better view than standard. How successful have you been, or hasn't it mattered to you? I'm thrilled to be a DVC owner, but I'm very disappointed to hear that WDW will only give up a standard view room. Didn't expect concierge or water view, but thought it would be something in the middle (garden/woods, etc).

So MS told you standard view? For the # of points I'd have to call that just plain cheap of Disney.....for the same # of points you can get a room at the Poly (where garden view costs $80 more per night than a standard view at AKL and can accomodate 5 people rather than 4).

I've been trying to find out if anyone is really being given a standard view or if DVC members staying on points are generally getting savannah view....hope you get more responses.

I'd be curious to hear what people are getting. The only comparison I have is GF but many years ago. At that time, my DVC points got a beautiful lagoon view room looking at the Castle and steps from the pool. I think the statement is Run of House meaning you "could" get a standard room but might also get the most deluxe view (with the exception of suites or concierge). I would hope 99.9% of the time we'd get a top room considering the number of points we need to use.

We have used points at a couple of other Disney Resorts and have done ok.

We have had a pool view at WL, and right outside our door we had a good view( near the elevator) of the MK fireworks. I think that was 5th floor.

Also at Coronado springs for 2 nites we had a quiet pool view. It was very nice and the closest I have ever been to a pool, maybe 5 steps.

Then last fall we had a room next to the elevators with a river view at PO, riverside.

I've also had 1st, floor quiet pool veiw at the Yacht club. All of my requests have been honored.

As a side note, when using a MKC discount at the Grand Floridian in 1998 we got the most perfect Castle vew room! it said on our resv. that it was " Run of the House" so I guessed garden veiw.. Boy was I surprised!

I have also had a "run of the House" room at the Poly that looked out over Luau cove and the contstruction of the Wedding Pavillion. The construction did to not bother us since it was so far away, but I REALLY enjoyed the beach view.. so i have not been worried about 'Run of the House" I figure I've had good rooms and if the odds are against me and I end up with a standard view once in a while , then that is the way it is. I do always ask what kind of view I have and politely hope that it is good, tht is how we go the room at the GF.

We just stayed at DxL this past March on points. When I made the ressies I was asked if I wanted a standard or preferred view. With both being the same amount of points, of course, I chose the preferred view. We were in Magnolia Terrace, top floor, overlooking a beautiful garden.

We stayed at the Polynesian this January on points and received the Lagoon room view, although we received the same line about requesting an upgraded room with no guarantee. Besides our experience, I have nothing to base this on, but the impression I got from MS when I made the reservation was that we would get an upgraded room (lagoon view) if it was available. The resort will take cash if they can get it, if not they'll make it available for an upgrade.

The following is a quote from an interesting post which sort of relates to your situation. (not exactly, but maybe you will find it encouraging):

We paid cash for AKL for one night last week prior to heading to our home resort at BWV. We had a regular room with a savannah view-it was a special price through our annual passes.
When we went into our room, we didn't really see the savannah but faced the 'people pit' used for evacuation in case of emergencies. There should NOT be a premium charge for this view as it is all fence and concrete.
I went to the front desk and said I was not happy with the view [you pay extra for the savannah view] and wanted to change my room-they said there were no other rooms available. I then said I would take a refund and stay at BWV with my DVC membership.
They asked if I was a DVC member, then disappeared into the back room-and came out with a new room for us that turned out to be have a teriffic view.

So-if the view is good it is great-but be informed that not all savannah views are created equal.
The room was small and kind of dark for my taste but the lodge was terrific. Absolutely wonderful-and the buffet is NOT to be missed. The grounds are fantastic and we will stay there again!

Thanks to everyone for some definite encouragement. I've now spoken with three people in MS and none of them have said that we get ROH ---they've all said that it's standard view, but I can make a request. Somehow, ROH sounds better. We may just end up making a cash reservation, since we want to be guaranteed a savannah view room [And hope that it's a "real" savannah view.] It does SOUND as if the resorts try to accommodate DVC members. Thanks so much for all the info!
In the meantime, I just booked our first DVC trip to WLV for 5 nights in a 1 bedroom in late August. The two of us don't NEED a 1 bedroom, but can't resist the washer/dryer and the tub. We'll celebrate our membership. After that, we'll do a few nights at AKL. Can't wait to try the food ---I haven't read one person who hasn't liked it.

We had a beautiful waterview room at the YC on points in February. We did not even make any requests when we made our reservation. However, I am not taking that chance at AKL, and will be booking a cash ressie there next year.

mouseclick1- I'm thinking the same thing myself <sigh>. I really want to stay at AKL, but we have points to use up on our next trip and if I'm not guaranteed a savannah view I'm not using them there....a standard view is just not worth 22 points per weeknight when the same 22 points can get me the Poly or a 1BR at VWL. I really don't care about the view at either of these places....the view is not the draw of these resorts like it is at AKL (and the Poly garden view we had last year was gorgeous).

Ok, rant over.....I'm just really disappointed in how this is done :( But I'm not going to take the chance on AKL.

We spent two nights at the AKL in a standard view room (not on DVC ppppoints). We were able to get a good rate on the standard view room. Our room did not overlook a savannah, but we had plenty of opportunities to visit the three savannahs, talk to cast members about the animals, take pictures of the animals, etc. The Saturday night we were there we returned to the AKL from the MK after mindnight. We went out to the sunset savannah & watched the baby giraffe eat & then play with the baby bongo. The other giraffes were in the background. It was really a neat scene. I am not an animal lover by any means (mostly due to allergies), but I loved staying at the AKL. And we loved the food at Mara's & breakfast & dinner at Boma's. When you stay there be sure to take the lobby tour at 3:30 p.m. & hear the storyteller at 7:30 p.m.

Once again, I think there is a little psychology going on here. You are only "guaranteed" a standard room. With that expectation, no one should be disappointed with getting a "standard" room. If you want a higher probability/assurance of getting the better room, the better strategy would be to pay the cash for the better room rather than using points, IMHO.

I would like to believe (don't burst my bubble, please ;) ) that they indeed do know who the DVC members are and treat them a little like airlines treat very frequent flyers and hotels treat frequent guests by trying to generally treat them well if possible (I know that I have been upgraded three times to suites in the last three years at hotels in the chain where I have honored guest status--even when checking in well before the hotel filled up or anything--and I have never asked!!!). WDW in general is pretty good about customer service, but raising guests expectations is not a good policy, so I am quite willing to take the guarantee of a standard room, make requests (or not?), and see what I get.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter