Only TWO more months!!!!

SLK1

DIS Veteran
I'm so darned excited!!! I woke up this morning and realized it's only two more months until we leave for our Viva Italia trip. I've got a running list of things to pack and all kinds of tips from people. Any other advice or suggestions?

With this being close to the end of the school year, it's going to fly by. I've been waiting since last September for this!!!:woohoo:

I'm excited for you and just a wee bit envious, even though we did the trip last year. It was fabulous!

Not knowing what tips and advice you already have here goes:
These observations are based on Sept 2008 Viva Italia.

I seem to remember 2 sections for Passport check (Rome - FCO). One was for European Union Passport holders and one was for non-European. Signs are in English so you shouldn't have a problem.

The person that meets you with the ABD sign at the airport will be at the baggage pickup area. He will take you to the driver of your 'cab' (black Mercedes SUV). It was last year anyway. Hotel is a good 20-30 minutes away depending on traffic so if needed plan a restroom break before you leave the airport.

edit: Restrooms - Some of them have attendants and it is customary to give a tip. Some stand by the entry door and collect before you even go in to the stall. Not in the airport but I seem to remember it when we got off the bus in Orvieto and again at one of the restaurant's we ate at as a group.

ATM machines close to hotels in Rome and Venice and when you visit Florence.
Always ask before you order a meal if they take credit cards or you should have the cash on hand.
Rome lots of sightseeing. Shops near the hotel are 'high-end', designer. The street straight down from the Bernini is walkable and leads to the Trevi fountain area and Spanish steps. The street to the right and up has more hotels, restaurants and the American Embassy.
Orvieto ... shop all the ceramic stores first before you purchase anything. Different designs and quality in all. A lovely spot in the clouds, soak it up and sing Funicula Funiculare for me and others, again. ;)
Florence - crazy, crowded but fun.
Venice - learn landmarks on the Strada Nuova and you won't get lost crossing the bridges.
Pack light weight clothes that can be washed in the sink and then air-dried.
Don't expect American hotel accomodations. Go with the flow and enjoy every minute of the experience. OK, I'm starting to get maudlin, enough. You get the idea ... you will love it!

I'm excited for you and just a wee bit envious, even though we did the trip last year. It was fabulous!

Not knowing what tips and advice you already have here goes:
These observations are based on Sept 2008 Viva Italia.

I seem to remember 2 sections for Passport check (Rome - FCO). One was for European Union Passport holders and one was for non-European. Signs are in English so you shouldn't have a problem.

The person that meets you with the ABD sign at the airport will be at the baggage pickup area. He will take you to the driver of your 'cab' (black Mercedes SUV). It was last year anyway. Hotel is a good 20-30 minutes away depending on traffic so if needed plan a restroom break before you leave the airport.

edit: Restrooms - Some of them have attendants and it is customary to give a tip. Some stand by the entry door and collect before you even go in to the stall. Not in the airport but I seem to remember it when we got off the bus in Orvieto and again at one of the restaurant's we ate at as a group.

ATM machines close to hotels in Rome and Venice and when you visit Florence.
Always ask before you order a meal if they take credit cards or you should have the cash on hand.
Rome lots of sightseeing. Shops near the hotel are 'high-end', designer. The street straight down from the Bernini is walkable and leads to the Trevi fountain area and Spanish steps. The street to the right and up has more hotels, restaurants and the American Embassy.
Orvieto ... shop all the ceramic stores first before you purchase anything. Different designs and quality in all. A lovely spot in the clouds, soak it up and sing Funicula Funiculare for me and others, again. ;)
Florence - crazy, crowded but fun.
Venice - learn landmarks on the Strada Nuova and you won't get lost crossing the bridges.
Pack light weight clothes that can be washed in the sink and then air-dried.
Don't expect American hotel accomodations. Go with the flow and enjoy every minute of the experience. OK, I'm starting to get maudlin, enough. You get the idea ... you will love it!

Thank you a million times over! This is great information. I'm so nervous - I live in an American Express World and am a little nervous about dealing with cash, and it's not even American dollars! It will definitely be a learning experience. I asked on a thread earlier what are some good "buys" over there, and your advice about shopping then buying was excellent. Thanks again! And, have fun in Ireland!:banana:

I'm so darned excited!!! I woke up this morning and realized it's only two more months until we leave for our Viva Italia trip. I've got a running list of things to pack and all kinds of tips from people. Any other advice or suggestions?

With this being close to the end of the school year, it's going to fly by. I've been waiting since last September for this!!!:woohoo:

My husband and I did Viva Italia last June. One word-INCREDIBLE!! Ditto to all the tips you already received. Though the hotels have bathroom soaps, you may want to take your personal favorite with you.

In Rome, just outside the Bernini past the Tritone Fountain, the Via Sistina is off to your right. Take this to the end (about 1/4 mile), and you will find yourself at the very top of the Spanish Steps (kind of a backdoor approach). This is thrilling at night.

Also, whatever plans you make, DO NOT LEAVE ROME without a night visit to the Piazza Navarone :love: to enjoy the crowds and music. :thumbsup2

Visit PRADA for (believe it or not) really good deals on a handbag, but you must ask.

Buy your husband or whomever :rolleyes1 an Italian shirt.

Visit the market when you go to Florence for a chance to purchase beautiful leather goods and/or scarves/capes, etc.

Oh, one more thing. Can I go with you?

My husband and I did Viva Italia last June. One word-INCREDIBLE!! Ditto to all the tips you already received. Though the hotels have bathroom soaps, you may want to take your personal favorite with you.

In Rome, just outside the Bernini past the Tritone Fountain, the Via Sistina is off to your right. Take this to the end (about 1/4 mile), and you will find yourself at the very top of the Spanish Steps (kind of a backdoor approach). This is thrilling at night.

Also, whatever plans you make, DO NOT LEAVE ROME without a night visit to the Piazza Navarone :love: to enjoy the crowds and music. :thumbsup2

Visit PRADA for (believe it or not) really good deals on a handbag, but you must ask.

Buy your husband or whomever :rolleyes1 an Italian shirt.

Visit the market when you go to Florence for a chance to purchase beautiful leather goods and/or scarves/capes, etc.

Oh, one more thing. Can I go with you?

Thank you so much, and YES! You can come with us. I have put several "feelers" out there on the boards but no one seems to be going on our particular trip. I guess we'll just meet up with everyone when we get there. We feel our spirits are dampened a bit by this flu, but we're trying to remain positive and hope the worst of it passes by the time we leave. Stay healthy...stay healthy...stay healthy!!! :dance3:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter