Onsite grocery

TagsMissy

It's not always easy being the wife of a soldier.
Just curious if anybody who is onsite right now can check and see how much 1dz eggs cost at the on property shops? We're trying to decide if it's worth using garden grocer or not. We don't need a lot of stuff just some milk, eggs, bread and bacon.

Or does anybody know if the onsite costs are the same as the prices on the DVC grocery order form?

I tried to find some recent photos of the grocery photos but my search only came up with older stuff.

I believe they are the same price. But I'm not onsite, so perhaps someone there will confirm.

Although I've never ordered from garden grocer, I found some of there prices can be rather high too. I have found the markup at disney can range from "not too bad" to "I can't believe they would charge that much". Eggs, milk and bread fall under that 'not too bad" category.

When it's just the two of us, we pack a few things in suitcase (including some frozen things) and at disney, buy milk, OJ, and eggs.

Have you thought of the shelf stable precooked bacon? It's so much faster and that's one of the things we pack.

I believe they are the same price. But I'm not onsite, so perhaps someone there will confirm.

Although I've never ordered from garden grocer, I found some of there prices can be rather high too. I have found the markup at disney can range from "not too bad" to "I can't believe they would charge that much". Eggs, milk and bread fall under that 'not too bad" category.

When it's just the two of us, we pack a few things in suitcase (including some frozen things) and at disney, buy milk, OJ, and eggs.

Have you thought of the shelf stable precooked bacon? It's so much faster and that's one of the things we pack.

Something about that precooked bacon scares me LOL I am certain it's fine just one of those things that I can't make myself eat... that and we're travelling from Canada so we can't bring meat in. The price list I looked at last night on the DVC website showed a dozen eggs for $1.99; if that truly is the case onsite then that's not bad at all. It is for only two of us and it's only for breakfast, otherwise we'll be out and about.

The more I think about it, I think we'll buy the few things we need onsite as we aren't cooking full dinners, etc.

Is there a price list available to the public somewhere? We are not DVC members.

Thanks!

Last time we were there (late January), the price of eggs was $1.99/dozen. I think the prices are the same as those on the grocery lists.

BlueFairy, I'm not sure if the lists are available outside of the member website. You may want to check David's (dvcrequest.com) to see of they have them.

You might want to add a case of water to that list. It is very important to keep hydrated in the FL sun. My kids actually use a camelpack and drink from it all day. 90% of the people that use the first aid stations are suffering from dehydration. Water bottles can get very expensive in the parks.

I have used Garden Grocer several times with very good service, but you know they have a $40 minimum purchase with $12 delivery fee, plus tip, and the last time I went I just decided to get what I needed at the store at the resort. I was like you, just doing mostly breakfast and snacks, and it didn't make financial sense to use a delivery service.

Garden Grocer works very well. I compared prices a couple years ago, and it would have been cheaper to rent a car for a day or take taxis to/from Publix, but Garden Grocer is reliable and will fix anything they get wrong without any headaches, so we use them.

Last time we were there (late January), the price of eggs was $1.99/dozen. I think the prices are the same as those on the grocery lists.

BlueFairy, I'm not sure if the lists are available outside of the member website. You may want to check David's (dvcrequest.com) to see of they have them.

Thanks! We usually stay in studios so i've never looked at the prices of the actual foodstuff that closely previously. :)

You might want to add a case of water to that list. It is very important to keep hydrated in the FL sun. My kids actually use a camelpack and drink from it all day. 90% of the people that use the first aid stations are suffering from dehydration. Water bottles can get very expensive in the parks.

All the filtered water you'd ever want/need is free at the parks.

Hi there, fellow Canadian here. We were there in March and ordered through GG. The items I left off the order were, eggs, bread, bagels, milk, O.J., nacho chips, any other chips. They didn't have any buns at the resort shops, so if you need some, order them.
Other items that are pretty well priced on site are frozen pizzas (my kids loved them), sliced ham, treats like donuts and chocolate chip cookies, all snack chips. Depending on how much you need, condiments are small sizes sold for same price as what you would buy at home for a full size. So if you don't need the whole jar of PB&J you will pay the same for less, but it will be enough.
I always pack dry cereals, granola/power bars, squeeze apple sauces, spices, tea bags, coffee, sugar, s&p.
Saves us from buying too much and just throwing away the leftovers. Plus you will need the extra space in your luggage on the trip home. ;)

Be aware that Disney overcharges so much on their grocery list that you're usually cheaper going with one of the private services. We use garden grocer, but I've heard positive things about the others also.

I don't doubt that it is true that if you're going to get a lot of groceries, renting a car and driving to a grocery store might be cheaper still. However I would estimate that would take a minimum of four hours out of my vacation to accomplish- including getting the car, getting the groceries, returning them to the hotel, and returning the car. So if I wanted to get the car anyway to go do something else offsite, that would be a good choice. If I were just going to Orlando for the on-property WDW stuff, it wouldn't.

Be aware that Disney overcharges so much on their grocery list that you're usually cheaper going with one of the private services. We use garden grocer, but I've heard positive things about the others also.

I don't doubt that it is true that if you're going to get a lot of groceries, renting a car and driving to a grocery store might be cheaper still. However I would estimate that would take a minimum of four hours out of my vacation to accomplish- including getting the car, getting the groceries, returning them to the hotel, and returning the car. So if I wanted to get the car anyway to go do something else offsite, that would be a good choice. If I were just going to Orlando for the on-property WDW stuff, it wouldn't.

I agree with this as a generality but since we've worked out we are only getting eggs, bacon or sausages and some bread it's not worth the service charge to go with a delivery service.

I just returned from BLT on Saturday - I was surprised to see a dozen eggs for sale for $1.99. That's a great price, don't think I can find them that cheap here at home!

We use Garden Grocer all the time for breakfast and snacks; in the future I may rethink purchasing these items on property.

Try Wegoshop for delivery-- Amy is GREAT at finding good prices, will let you pick the store, her fees are lower (based on how many stores you have her go to) and I'm not aware of any minimum. We love her. Her fee is about $20/25 I think. She will also go to the liquor store :) -- she also brings you all the receipts (we usually tell her to pick, and she often goes to Publix) so you can see she didn't overcharge.

That said, I did some basic pricing last time we were down there and I was NOT horrified by the onsite pricing. In fact, for our short memorial day weekend we are skipping the grocery delivery (in part because we'll be in a studio) and just walking to the Hess station near BWK.

I agree with this as a generality but since we've worked out we are only getting eggs, bacon or sausages and some bread it's not worth the service charge to go with a delivery service.

Totally agree. Grocery service only worthwhile if you're getting 4+ days worth of food, for 1-2 meals a day. Not for a couple meals.

Our family does one table service meal a day and does our own sandwiches/light breakfast for the others.

For just a couple items, I would buy at the Disney convenience store as well.

Totally agree. Grocery service only worthwhile if you're getting 4+ days worth of food, for 1-2 meals a day. Not for a couple meals. Our family does one table service meal a day and does our own sandwiches/light breakfast for the others. For just a couple items, I would buy at the Disney convenience store as well.

It is worth it if you need 12 bottles of water a day for two weeks. Saves a fortune. You are a captive audience in WDW in August for water and they charge you accordingly.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter