• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Onsite or Offsite?

DeeJ79

Earning My Ears
Which do you prefer?
How many kids do you have?
Are you going with just another adult, or with kids?

My partners family tends to rent houses, which is what we're doing for Halloween and we of course rent a vehicle. But we spoke about one day staying on site... What other perks are there other than being able to be shuttled back and forth?

We always stay onsite. I can't imagine doing Disney any other way. The convenience of not having to worry about driving is huge. I don't want to drive on my vacation, and with staying onsite, from the time I get to my home airport until I get back to that airport I don't have to. Additionally, there really is something to be said for staying inside the "bubble" of Disney experience. it just makes the whole vacation better in my opinion. I have 3 kids and we go sometimes with my in-laws and other times by ourselves.

Ohh.. I've never heard of it called a Disney bubble. That's interesting. I get the appeal for sure though and it's a goal.. It would have been too costly to stay on site with 6 people. We were able to rent a house for a fraction of what it would have cost. :) But there is an allure of it all. One day!! Perhaps for our honeymoon.

Here is a blog I wrote this March:

I’m a die hard “on property” fan, but this month a friend and I had the opportunity to go and stay off site with Hilton honors points, so we said, ‘Why not??” What follows is my (biased) review of On Site Vs. Off Site.

PRO’s of staying Off Site:

Can be cheaper: As we did, you may have the option of cashing in points from a major chain

Free breakfast: Most off site hotels offer a free breakfast, ranging from continental to full, hot service. Our hotel also offered a free evening buffet.

A resort with larger rooms and more amenities: Our hotel offered spacious suites, a scalding hot tub, pool and full kitchen

BUT there are also some distinct negatives:

Pay to park at WDW: $17/day adds up quickly

No EMH (Extra Magic Hours): Those morning (especially) or evening hours only for resort guests with typically much lower crowds; you lose the ability to get a lot done in a short time.

Hope you like carrying those bags!: No resort delivery of your purchases, so whatever you buy, you schlep all day long.

No food court: whether it is breakfast or dinner after a long day in the parks, there is no readily available food of your choosing. My friend eats low carb and our free dinners offered *nothing* other than lettuce that she could eat.

If you have dietary concerns/allergies, these cannot/will not be address and the “heat and eat” foods served at the offsite hotel. I have developed a scary allergy to peppers; at WDW is is quick and easy to find out what foods I must avoid.

FOR ME, THE SINGLE BIGGEST NEGATIVE IS NOT HAVING WDW TRANSPORTATION.

1. With only one car, everyone *has* to be on the same schedule. So if an early riser (me) is paired with a more leisurely morning person, somebody has to “give,” and resentment can build.

2. Along with that, if a member of your party gets a headache, feels poorly or is just plain tuckered out, you do not have the advantage of the party easily splitting up/reuniting.

3. Forget that midday break. By the time you get back to your car, conveniently located in Kansas, and deal with International Drive congestion back to your hotel, you will have easily spent an hour one way.

4. No “easy” access to your room. On one WDW trip I felt a migraine coming on and of course, I did not have my meds on me. I grabbed some caffeine, hopped a bus back to my resort, washed down a pill, lay down for a few minutes, then hopped the same bus right back to the park! Ta da! NOTHING is this easy off site.

5. Designating a driver: If your group would like to camp out in the tequila cave, one person will have to stay stone, cold sober to drive you back to your resort. No friendly Disney bus drivers to see you back safely.

6. Park hopping is more complicated. You must return to the park (or TTA) where you entered. No direct route to your nice, warm bed.

Finally, I am a female who frequently travels solo and I have never felt unsafe or uncomfortable on WDW property. This is a feature without monetary value.

In closing, while offsite visits can offer several perks, I’ll take WDW property ANY day for the many reasons listed above.

Since our February trip is going to involve 5 people, I seriously, seriously considered renting a 2 bedroom unit at Bonnet Creek. When I priced everything out, it seemed like a bargain compared to one of the SSR or OKW 2 bedrooms. However, they I started thinking, how do we get to the park - they have a shuttle, but it costs $, we could rent a car, but again extra $, what about getting from the airport, no meal plan, no emh, not being in the bubble....and on and on the negatives started outweighing the $ I thought we would save at Bonnet Creek. So, what did we do - we are staying value for the first time ever in an AOA Cars Suite. 3 sleeping spaces and 2 full baths -- and with the S/P/D discount we got, it came to like 280 per night. We are actually excited to get the in your face theming and really excited to have 2 full baths for less than half the $500-600 per night that we would have paid at SSR or OKW.

My 2 cents.

Tom

We rented a house in 2008 and liked it. we always have a car regardless of on/off site. The extra bedrooms and bathrooms was nice. So was the laundry. Since we never do EMHs that did not matter to us and the parking fees were outweighed by the less expensive house rental. But we still prefer on site if it's just the 2 of us.

If WDW keeps raising prices and cutting benefits we will look at offsite, but for now onsite is the only way we like to go. We know that we can get a bigger place for less $$, but we enjoy leaving our Van in the resort parking lot and using Disney transportation and not dealing with driving to the parks and getting cutoff by people not knowing where they are going:( We enjoy using EMHs, the counter service at the resort etc. We are a family of 4, 2 DDs (6 & 11) and we have absolutely no issues staying in one room together, we do not need a lot of room for just 7-9 days. Call us strange:) but we actually enjoy being together as a family 24/7 during our trips.

We have stayed off site twice, during our honeymoon (1987) and a condo (2000) and haven't and will not go back to off site again. We have done it with our son when he was seven and several other times including when he was 22. And my wife and I have stayed on-site several times on our own, always before an upcoming DCL cruise; we already have a three night POR reservation for our 2016 cruise. Why we like WDW resorts:
1) Magical Express to the resort.
2) WDW transportation. I really like not having to drive to and from an off-site hotel and dealing with parking once we have arrived at our destination.
3) We do take a break from the parks and go back to our resort during the afternoon for a break.
4) Love the 24/7 Disney experience.
5) Waking up early in the morning, going to the restaurant, buying a coffee, and walking the resort grounds before the rest of the resort wakes up and explore the grounds. I love the Disney theme!!!!

What I dislike is the pain involved with making a reservation at another resort. You have to plan ahead, leaving enough time to take a bus to DTD or another park, to hop off the bus, to wait for a bus, to hop on it to the resort where your reservation is made. And do it all over again to get back to your resort. But we only do this once per stay so we put up with it.

We prefer offsite. Cost being the biggest factor but also better space and amenities. Posting this question in the Disney Resorts forum will likely get you more on-site fans than off-site though. There is no right or wrong answer obviously. Different people have different preferences and that can even vary trip to trip.

Which do you prefer?
How many kids do you have?
Are you going with just another adult, or with kids?

My partners family tends to rent houses, which is what we're doing for Halloween and we of course rent a vehicle. But we spoke about one day staying on site... What other perks are there other than being able to be shuttled back and forth?

Disney Bubble. Even the resorts that aren't in your face Disney still have Disney touches. Mid day breaks are much easier when you just have to hop on a bus/boat/monorail. Free Parking at all the parks. "Stacy" Mickey Bars 24/7

I like having a vacation where I don't have to drive and park.

I have been offsite and there were advantages but I didn't like it as much, just personal preference.

In Disneyland I did offsite and it was great.

Posting this question in the Disney Resorts forum will likely get you more on-site fans than off-site though. There is no right or wrong answer obviously. Different people have different preferences and that can even vary trip to trip.

Exactly - post the same thread on the other board and you will get different answers :)

We like both! Definitely prefer offsite to Values and Mods. For the same or less money, you can get a nicer room and much more space offsite. We also tend to spend a lot of time relaxing in our room, so we appreciate the extra space. We also prefer renting a car and are not fans of Disney Transportation. But the Deluxe resorts are really destinations in themselves. Our budget for any given trip determines where we will stay. We love WBC, but we also look forward to experiencing the various onsite Deluxe hotels. That said, we're staying POR next February because that's what the majority of the group wants - to be in the bubble :)

I use to balk at the prices for the onsite hotels, but once I stayed at an onsite hotel, I will never stay anywhere else. The hotels are awesome, the transportation is convenient and there are really good places to eat at the resorts. Again, it really comes down to cost. I only travel to Disney if I can get a deal or discount on a room.

On-site every trip and wouldn't do it any other way! I do understand staying offsite saves a lot of money for a lot of families. I typically travel with just adults and no kids, or just myself in a room. I love being on property and being in the disney bubble 24/7! It all starts with Magical Express- letting them handle my luggage and all stress is gone! We love utilizing EMH, both morning and night so staying onsite is a benefit for that. I love the fact that I don't have to drive on vacation- I actually love disney buses, monorail and boats! It is all up to personal preference. It is what works for me so I wouldn't change anything! I love waking up early in disney, and just taking in the resort atmosphere early in the morning when everyone is still sleeping and it is so peaceful. The resorts are amazingly themed, so I really enjoy just taking it all in when I'm not at the parks. Staying onsite can be costly, but it is so worth it to me for all the reasons I described above.

I'm an on-site kind of gal...a Disney trip really isn't a Disney trip without a stay at Port Orleans Riverside! We also really like EMH as well.

Since our February trip is going to involve 5 people, I seriously, seriously considered renting a 2 bedroom unit at Bonnet Creek. When I priced everything out, it seemed like a bargain compared to one of the SSR or OKW 2 bedrooms. However, they I started thinking, how do we get to the park - they have a shuttle, but it costs $, we could rent a car, but again extra $, what about getting from the airport, no meal plan, no emh, not being in the bubble....and on and on the negatives started outweighing the $ I thought we would save at Bonnet Creek. So, what did we do - we are staying value for the first time ever in an AOA Cars Suite. 3 sleeping spaces and 2 full baths -- and with the S/P/D discount we got, it came to like 280 per night. We are actually excited to get the in your face theming and really excited to have 2 full baths for less than half the $500-600 per night that we would have paid at SSR or OKW.

My 2 cents.

Tom

My sister stayed offsite at her time share a few years ago. I think she and her DH missed a lot. They brought his Mom and so while there was more space at the timeshare, there was a hike to the pool that she as not up to, and so they had to manage getting her to and from the pool, which meant being very available. They swore never to do this again. Now this is a subjective element of the discussion, but they also could not get the DDP. Mom could not help looking at prices, and the Disney restaurant prices were way over her "raised during the depression" mindset. She would order soup....no matter what they did or said...soup. That's it. This woman would have eaten the paint off a truck if she thought it was "paid for", so all in all, they were not happy upon their return.

Interesting enough, we went in August and she was telling us that we should do a family vacation to Disney...and stay at her timeshare. SO much money to save! I asked how? We would need to rent at least two cars, pay parking, could not get the DDP...and remember how that worked out last time...No. Not for us.

I use to balk at the prices for the onsite hotels, but once I stayed at an onsite hotel, I will never stay anywhere else. The hotels are awesome, the transportation is convenient and there are really good places to eat at the resorts. Again, it really comes down to cost. I only travel to Disney if I can get a deal or discount on a room.

When my DGD was 3 we started planning our first trip back to Disney since my own children were little. I looked offsite and was thinking that we could save a lot of money. DD put her foot down and said that if this was a family expedition, there was no offsite! I did the math, car rentals, parking, etc, and then explained to my DH, who had not been to Orlando in over 20 years, that we would be staying onsite, and he balked but would do anything for our DGD, so he acquiesced, but insisted we would be over paying. Well one thing led to another, and we did pay more for our stay but that was choices we made along the planning way, but DH not only insists on onsite if we go, but he wants only monorail resorts.

I only book if I find a discount that makes it worth it for us, but we find that dollar for dollar we get what we pay for onsite, no matter what level we choose on any given trip.

For my family, the biggest reason to stay on property is Extra Magic Hours. We've done both. Always enjoy on-property more. With that said, I am also cheap. Our solution is to stay at Swan or Dolphin on points. We haven't paid money for lodging since 2008 and we still get EMH.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter