Ontario might have hit the peak of COVID 19

starvenger

DIS Veteran
We seem to be trending towards the optimistic side of projections, with numbers between 20 and 30K cases. This is great news.

Really impressed that Ford is holding firm on not opening things up just yet. Sucks but we need to be sure we're on a downward trend before we start the new normal.

We seem to be trending towards the optimistic side of projections, with numbers between 20 and 30K cases. This is great news.

Really impressed that Ford is holding firm on not opening things up just yet. Sucks but we need to be sure we're on a downward trend before we start the new normal.
Its great news. I love how our country is handling this. Hopefully we can start returning to normal soon. I just want to be able to have a beer on a patio.

This is good, but I don't think they'll relax things any time soon. Even though I really want to know what's going to happen with schools, summer camps, etc. And my son would love to be able to go play basketball with his friends.

It's just above 0 here so in another week or two when it's in double digits (according to forecast) then I will want to be out and about.

It’s 13c here! Def getting toward patio weather but don’t know when that’s going to happen. In BC all summer events have been cancelled, Canada Day celebrations, Symphony of Fire, PNE (our big fair) at the end of August. The start of Cruise ship season deferred until a July 1 at earliest. Maybe later. We are flattening the curve here but who knows when things will start opening up. Still to early to tell. I think we’re doing a good job too. Our provincial health officer Bonnie Henry is reaching cult status here!

What a difference a few weeks and allot of social distancing can make. The news is so much better then the horrific numbers being talked of a few weeks ago.
It’s sad though that the majority of new cases (and deaths) are in the long term care homes across the province. My heart breaks for those living in LTC homes and those who provide compassionate and and unwavering care for them. It seems like they’ve become ground zero - here and around the world.

Here in Halifax, one of our home care centres, Northwood, is being blasted with cases right now. To put it mildly, our NS positive number for yesterday tests was 46 (a daily high for us) and 31 were residents and 4 staff. If we didn't have that outbreak we would be doing quite well right now. They are actually moving the recovered covid patients to a nearby hotel to make room for more new covid patients and separating some roommates who are sharing a room.

So scary for everyone involved in LTC.

What a difference a few weeks and allot of social distancing can make. The news is so much better then the horrific numbers being talked of a few weeks ago.

I think some of these numbers were purposely used to scare people into proper social distancing. I'm not saying the numbers were false, or inflated or anything like that. Just that they emphasized the bad numbers to ensure people would continue to stay home.

I think some of these numbers were purposely used to scare people into proper social distancing. I'm not saying the numbers were false, or inflated or anything like that. Just that they emphasized the bad numbers to ensure people would continue to stay home.

I agree. 😊

Which if we're being honest is fine in this instance. I don't really like fearmongering, but not everyone will see the numbers, go "ok", and stay home. There's a small percentage of people that really need those numbers hammered home.

Still, I'm surprised that we veered so much towards the optimistic numbers. But then again, I've been taking more project management courses and probably did more PERT estimations than I care to remember, so I'm always looking at the "most likely" scenarios.

Apparently Ford was on the news radio in Ottawa this morning and said maybe loosening restrictions around Victoria Day, schools will likely be last to go back. Given the timing of that, I am guessing no school until September. I am just not sure yet if I should start booking summer day camps, the city has put on the website that they will give full refunds if they are cancelled (they would normally give you a full credit or do a refund minus a fee). Gives me some peace of mind on that any way! And I can't wait for the boy to be able to get together with his friends and PLAY again, ride his bike, go to the park. I am almost glad we have -12 with wind chill today, it's not as hard to stay inside when it's so cold lol.

I joked with my family that maybe by Father's Day we'd all be able to celebrate together the missed holidays, and I hoped it wasn't Thanksgiving instead. Maybe it will be Father's Day.

I've already got the kids' day camps booked, so if they're cancelled, they're cancelled and I'll have to figure out something for them to do.

Good possibility that I'll need to see if Camp Grandma is open for the season.

Same. My younger one is registered...and my older one was so looking forward to being a counselor this year. And if not camp, we'll get our money back. I'll be surprised if kids return to the classroom. Hoping camp returns just so they are not stuck in the house for another 2 months.

Agree, two more months stuck at home would not be ideal! But I should be able to work from home if the camps don't open. I had planned to only use camps for July, and use vacation, grandparents and a few days where he could stay home alone. We'll see how it all goes I guess.

My worry with the camps is the hiring of the staff, most of the counselor's are high school kids, our city facilities are closed until June 30th so I am not sure how they would be able to hire any of them. Time will tell.

Apparently Ford was on the news radio in Ottawa this morning and said maybe loosening restrictions around Victoria Day, schools will likely be last to go back. Given the timing of that, I am guessing no school until September. I am just not sure yet if I should start booking summer day camps, the city has put on the website that they will give full refunds if they are cancelled (they would normally give you a full credit or do a refund minus a fee). Gives me some peace of mind on that any way! And I can't wait for the boy to be able to get together with his friends and PLAY again, ride his bike, go to the park. I am almost glad we have -12 with wind chill today, it's not as hard to stay inside when it's so cold lol.

I joked with my family that maybe by Father's Day we'd all be able to celebrate together the missed holidays, and I hoped it wasn't Thanksgiving instead. Maybe it will be Father's Day.
If you can get camps with full refund, what are you waiting for? They will be snapped up, like FD during spring break! After all, what's your plan B if you need the childcare and haven't booked?

My worry with the camps is the hiring of the staff, most of the counselor's are high school kids, our city facilities are closed until June 30th so I am not sure how they would be able to hire any of them. Time will tell.
They'll probably give returning staff priority, then do video interviews with everyone else. Not much else can be done right now, I think.

Our camps are all booked. I'm sort of hoping the early July ones get cancelled. But I will try to listen to the experts without worrying too much! Only the last 3 weeks are cancellable for us. I haven't heard a thing about the other camps. They are supposed to start the first full week of July. It does make me a bit nervous at this point. That one is large groups and inside.

I have my doubts camps opening. Trying to get kids to practice social distancing is not an easy task. From the sounds of Dr. Tam, social distancing will be in place til there is a cure of vaccine. Its going to awhile before normal returns.

Which if we're being honest is fine in this instance. I don't really like fearmongering, but not everyone will see the numbers, go "ok", and stay home. There's a small percentage of people that really need those numbers hammered home.

Still, I'm surprised that we veered so much towards the optimistic numbers. But then again, I've been taking more project management courses and probably did more PERT estimations than I care to remember, so I'm always looking at the "most likely" scenarios.

The numbers were not set high or trying to scare people. They were there to be prepared for what is happening in the USA. Think about it. If we are approx 10% of the states in population, we should have 10% of infections, and deaths. We dont, we have been doing a GREAT JOB at what we are supposed to be doing, please keep it up. I am a funeral director, we get the numbers not to scare us, but to prepare what we could have. We have refrigerated trailers at our place in case things go the way of USA.
We are up in calls, but not like we could be.
Please dont let your guard down too soon. Any extra time we can give this is the better. Thank you for helping us all out.

The numbers were not set high or trying to scare people. They were there to be prepared for what is happening in the USA. Think about it. If we are approx 10% of the states in population, we should have 10% of infections, and deaths. We dont, we have been doing a GREAT JOB at what we are supposed to be doing, please keep it up. I am a funeral director, we get the numbers not to scare us, but to prepare what we could have. We have refrigerated trailers at our place in case things go the way of USA.
We are up in calls, but not like we could be.
Please dont let your guard down too soon. Any extra time we can give this is the better. Thank you for helping us all out.
You're one of the unsung heroes, then. Thanks for being there. Stay safe.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter