Oogie Boogie Bash vs. MNSSHP

DisArmyWife215

Mouseketeer
Just had to change our trip and will be coming in October now. The agent mentioned Ooogie Boogie Bash and to be sure we get out tickets. My question is this, has anyone done both Oogie Boogie and Mickey's Not So Scary in WDW? This will be our first trip to Disneyland but we have been to WDW and MNSSHP twice. Wondering how similar they are to decide if it's worth the added cost.
Will be me, DH & DD 16. We currently have 3 day park hoppers so this would be a 4th day add on sorta.

Also when tickets are announced what time zone does Disneyland use for sales? I'm used to Eastern, aka Disney World time. Does DL use Western drop times? Thanks for all the help!

Disneyland uses PST for their releases.

I haven’t attended MNSSHP but I have attended OBB (so I can’t give you the comparison you would like). But I would say for us OBB was well worth it and we will likely go again this year. Ride times were decent, treat trails were well done with cool character interactions and a lot of candy, the parade was really great with rare characters and a nice Halloween theme, and Villain’s Grove was a pretty awesome experience. Seeing so many costumes was also a lot of fun. Hopefully this year they also bring back the special WOC, which would be another addition to the experience.

The only thing we didn’t like was the mix in time was jam packed. We used it to watch Mickey’s Philarmagic, Turtle Talk, etc.

I can't compare either. I've never been to either one, but will be going this year!

If you don't mind spoilers you may find it helpful to watch some YouTube videos. From what I gather the big difference is that the treat trails are actually characters trails and the characters have like a stage.. it all really looks amazing.

Also come join our Halloween thread! We aren't super active yet, but it will for sure pick up as we get closer!

https://www.disboards.com/threads/can-we-just-start-talking-about-halloween-now.3869028/

I have done both and enjoyed both.
OBB doesn’t have the live stage show like MNSSHP does. I loved the Hocus Pocus show but it was the same the 3 years I went.
Having characters improvising on the treat trails means a different experience every time. Cruella, Agatha (wandavision) and Sid (toy story) were exceptional last party

I would love to see the west coast Halloween celebration moved back to D’land. When my family used to attend on the east coast our tradition was to ride HM as our lady ride of the night. I kinda miss that.

Last edited:
I’m a WDW regular. I prefer Oogie Boogie Bash!

The multiple treat trails are more immersive and a fun adventure. The parade is longer and more things happening throughout….but the best, most amazing thing is the walk through Halloween trail (I forget the name…) it’s like being in a movie. It’s spooky but not frightening.

Definitely Oogie Boogie!

I’ve done both and much prefer Oogie Boogie! While I love the Boo To You parade at MNSSHP (mainly for its stick-with-you-forever music), the parade at OBB is equally awesome (and longer). The real stand out for me was Villians Grove - there is just nothing like that I have ever experienced. I also enjoyed trick or treating more at Oogie Boogie as the treat trails are very interactive with Villians. The age of your DD would make OBB a no brainer for me. Enjoy!!!

Thanks everyone for the great info! Though it sounds like they are similar I think there’s enough differences to make me purchase some tickets. I’m getting very excited now!!

We have done MNSSHP at WDW many times, we did Oogie Boogie last October and LOVED it. It was the highlight of our trip. They are similar, but the characters at Oogie Boogie are very different from the typical ones out at MNSSHP. We also really enjoyed having the characters on the treat trails-- we don't usually even go down the treat trails at WDW and I don't know how Oogie Boogie will do it this year-- but last year the characters were on stages interacting with everyone and you could take distanced pics as you walked by. I would bet if Oogie Boogie came out for a meet and great at WDW, the line would be 2 hours long-- here even with a really big line it was about 10 minutes to walk through and get some great views and pics of him-- I was so excited. His was the longest line too. The parade is different and it was fun so see something different after seeing Boo To You at WDW so many times (which I love as well). We are going to be the minority that say we were underwhelmed by Villain's Grove, maybe because we had heard so many great things, or maybe because we got stuck in the middle of it in a bottleneck without moving for probably 10 minutes-- not sure what was going on. In any event, we would highly recommend Oogie Boogie!

We have done MNSSHP at WDW many times, we did Oogie Boogie last October and LOVED it. It was the highlight of our trip. They are similar, but the characters at Oogie Boogie are very different from the typical ones out at MNSSHP. We also really enjoyed having the characters on the treat trails-- we don't usually even go down the treat trails at WDW and I don't know how Oogie Boogie will do it this year-- but last year the characters were on stages interacting with everyone and you could take distanced pics as you walked by. I would bet if Oogie Boogie came out for a meet and great at WDW, the line would be 2 hours long-- here even with a really big line it was about 10 minutes to walk through and get some great views and pics of him-- I was so excited. His was the longest line too. The parade is different and it was fun so see something different after seeing Boo To You at WDW so many times (which I love as well). We are going to be the minority that say we were underwhelmed by Villain's Grove, maybe because we had heard so many great things, or maybe because we got stuck in the middle of it in a bottleneck without moving for probably 10 minutes-- not sure what was going on. In any event, we would highly recommend Oogie Boogie!
Just for the record OBB was doing the distance things before it was "cool" ! That's how the character interactions in the treat trails were designed when it debuted in fall 2019!

We have done WDW's various parties many times, and did OBB for the first time last year. We LOVED it! I would definitely choose it over the WDW party.

Just for the record OBB was doing the distance things before it was "cool" ! That's how the character interactions in the treat trails were designed when it debuted in fall 2019!
Trying to not ruin it for ourselves by looking at every detail of OBB before we go BUT.... are there some areas at the party where you can get photos with some of the characters? My son is four and it would make his year to get a photo with at least one of the villains.

We also didn’t get the hype of Villain’s Groove! We went to the first OBB last year and ended up waiting in line for an hour and were underwhelmed. It was cool but not the highlight of the party for us. We loved the parade, watched it twice! It was DD12’s birthday and she dressed like Scarlet Witch and had such a fun interaction with Agatha in the treat trail!

I have done both and enjoyed both.
OBB doesn’t have the live stage show like MNSSHP does. I loved the Hocus Pocus show but it was the same the 3 years I went.
Having characters improvising on the treat trails means a different experience every time. Cruella, Agatha (wandavision) and Sid (toy story) were exceptional last party

I would love to see the west coast Halloween celebration moved back to D’land. When my family used to attend on the east coast our tradition was to ride HM as our lady ride of the night. I kinda miss that.
I agree, but honestly, I don't think it's ever gonna happen. The draw for us was trick or treating IN Disneyland. OBB just didn't have that same *feeling* for us.

Trying to not ruin it for ourselves by looking at every detail of OBB before we go BUT.... are there some areas at the party where you can get photos with some of the characters? My son is four and it would make his year to get a photo with at least one of the villains.

Yes, there are photo opportunities for some villains who don’t have treat trails (last year was stand in front of the character’s area; this year will probably be more normal?). Photopass was included with the party ticket.

We were able to take photos in front of the characters at the treat trails (ie OOGIE Boogie posing in the background, Cruella doing her thing while we peasants posed in front of her, etc.) It wasn’t a “meet and greet” but basically everyone was stopping for pics or didn’t mind pausing to take one. HTH

EDIT: The stepsisters and other Villians were also at the fountain in front of Carthay, and prince john and friar tuck back by Villians grove.

I know I’m late to the party, but I have questions! We are WDW vets too hoping to do OBB this year. Are there characters in all the trick or treat trails? Or are they at least designated on the event map/guide (assuming you get a guide like MNSSHP)? Let’s hope they stick with Sunday night parties so we can go!

Thanks!
Jason

I believe Disneyland is far superior for Halloween over WDW. I have been to both parties many times and always find myself saying I like Disneyland better. I wish they would go back to actual Disneyland for Halloween and bring back Ghost Galaxy but even at DCA I still find it way better.

I know I’m late to the party, but I have questions! We are WDW vets too hoping to do OBB this year. Are there characters in all the trick or treat trails? Or are they at least designated on the event map/guide (assuming you get a guide like MNSSHP)? Let’s hope they stick with Sunday night parties so we can go!

Thanks!
Jason
You will love OBB (big MNSSHP fan, and I prefer OBB). Yes, there are characters on every treat trail, which makes trick or treating so much more interactive! They will have a guide and you can use the app as well for wait times.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter