Open letter to Disney concerning new TSA full body scan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the first hand account Eliza61.

I was surprised to read this, your experience differs from my experiences and the reports by purported TSA screeners on sites such as flyertalk. I have regularly been denied access to my carry-on until "cleared" by patdown and explosive trace swab. Only TSA screeners or persons who have been "cleared" are supposed to touch carry-ons that have been cleared. The rational for this is to prevent an uncleared person from depositing a "bad thing" into the carry-on.

Most TSA checkpoints have a glass enclosure where you have to wait for the pat down that keeps you separated from "cleared" people and materials (some wags refer to it as "the penalty box.") In this picture, you can see it to the left of the American flag,
tsa-frisking-nun1.jpg

here you can see it directly behind the WTMD and the TSA staffer.
0217-TSA_full_600.jpg

It seems that TSA did not follow SOP in this regard.
Did they detain you while testing a swab used on the TSAer's gloves for traces of explosive?

Hey CPT.
I went through terminal F.
It may be that I what I carry was considered more of a large "purse" than a carry on. The picture of the nun is a very good representation except there wasn't that "box" there. Instead of the Nun right in front of her grey bin. I was to the right of it.
Also it was an early morning flight which like I mentioned, there were only 17 people there tops and we were pretty much all business folks. So there wasn't much cleared folks or stuff behind me. most people that I've "meet" on the PHl-Chicago and PHL-Boston dont have carryon especially the guys.

SOP. You are absolutely right in that there seems to be no consistent follow through. I don't fly again until the 15th of December (Phl-Boston_ but I'm willing to bet dollars to donughts that I could opt out again and it will be a totally different experience. This needs to be corrected pronto.

Maybe the TSA should offer an express line for passengers willing to go through screening naked. OK maybe just wearing a bathing suit.

Here an image of an example i really cant see his how do i say this dis freindly well you know what mybe it depends on the cloths you wear. I cant even see his face.

http://content.usatoday.com/_common/_scripts/big_picture.aspx?width=490&height=354&storyURL=/news/washington/2010-01-07-security-plan_N.htm&imageURL=http://i.usatoday.net/news/_photos/2010/01/07/airport-scannerx-large.jpg

Of course, if you look at the picture, something is fake. The real "picture" shows a guy holding his hands up with his fingers spread. The 'x-ray' picture shows a guy with his fingers together.

Hey CPT.
I went through terminal F.
It may be that I what I carry was considered more of a large "purse" than a carry on. The picture of the nun is a very good representation except there wasn't that "box" there. Instead of the Nun right in front of her grey bin. I was to the right of it.
Also it was an early morning flight which like I mentioned, there were only 17 people there tops and we were pretty much all business folks. So there wasn't much cleared folks or stuff behind me. most people that I've "meet" on the PHl-Chicago and PHL-Boston dont have carryon especially the guys.

SOP. You are absolutely right in that there seems to be no consistent follow through. I don't fly again until the 15th of December (Phl-Boston_ but I'm willing to bet dollars to donughts that I could opt out again and it will be a totally different experience. This needs to be corrected pronto.

I have not been thru F. Do you recall if they even have penalty boxes?

I can't imagine travelling on business without at least a laptop (or similar). I'm old enough I even carry print media of some type on paper.

Last flight out of PIT, I got the full body scan (and lived to tell the tale:rolleyes:no biggie imo:confused3). DH & DS breezed thru security, they've both gotten 'the works' in the past, guess it was my turn.

if lewisc's suggestion was taken seriously & neekie security run = a discount on a flight, im sure there would be droves of people volunteering:laughing:

re the nun in habit, im Roman Catholic (so, no flames, i appreciate the sisters) but I stated to DH that I hoped the one on our last flight got the same scan i did jik. it's not too hard to buy a costume to try & hide something if ur a bad gal or guy.

Anyone who thinks that Disney can't play a role in this policy decision is being incredibly naive. What makes this country go 'round? Money. And Disney is full of it. Why do you think the TSA has jumped on the whole-body scanner bandwagon kit and kaboodle, with 500 more units expected to be rolled out in 2011 at a cost of $150,000 per unit? Anyone remember a guy named Michael Chertoff, who happens to be a major investor (Chertoff group) in the corporations that make these units? It's all about the money, and Disney is DEFINITELY equipped to jump in if they think they've got a dog in this fight.
Cheers!
Heather

Anyone who thinks that Disney can't play a role in this policy decision is being incredibly naive. What makes this country go 'round? Money. And Disney is full of it. Why do you think the TSA has jumped on the whole-body scanner bandwagon kit and kaboodle, with 500 more units expected to be rolled out in 2011 at a cost of $150,000 per unit? Anyone remember a guy named Michael Chertoff, who happens to be a major investor (Chertoff group) in the corporations that make these units? It's all about the money, and Disney is DEFINITELY equipped to jump in if they think they've got a dog in this fight.
Cheers!
Heather

Disney/ Abc very powerful. Our government officials are just puppets. I'm not sure what side of the fence ABC/ Disney is on. The water is always pretty cloudy on this kind of stuff, but everything is about money. Sadly some people think the main players are really concerned about the useless eaters safety.:rotfl:

Cheers!
Heather

Don't agree. Not everyone who goes to WDW goes by airplane. Not everyone who flys into Orlando goes to WDW. And Orlando is one of only a few thousand airports in the US. I doubt a few people crabbing about the possiblity of being selected for the enhanced scan/pat down will make a dent in Disney's consciousness.

Only if it is ever proven that Disney is loosing money because of the scans will they care. And I don't think that very likely. A few people crabbing on the internet does not a vocal majority make. And it will take a long time for any negative effect to be felt by Disney, if it ever is.

Cheers!
Heather

I like!!:thumbsup2

Last flight out of PIT, I got the full body scan (and lived to tell the tale:rolleyes:no biggie imo:confused3). DH & DS breezed thru security, they've both gotten 'the works' in the past, guess it was my turn.

if lewisc's suggestion was taken seriously & neekie security run = a discount on a flight, im sure there would be droves of people volunteering:laughing:

re the nun in habit, im Roman Catholic (so, no flames, i appreciate the sisters) but I stated to DH that I hoped the one on our last flight got the same scan i did jik. it's not too hard to buy a costume to try & hide something if ur a bad gal or guy.

Did you go through the main security area at PIT? The last time I was there on Oct 23 they did not have one but I did see one in the alternate security area in August or September.

Seriously?!

Just another moron trying to come up with a creative way to get something "free" out of Disney I suppose.

Gee, I guess Mickey should send a limo or personal jet to those who are uncomfortable. :sad2: This is not Disney's problem in any way, shape or form.

Did you go through the main security area at PIT? The last time I was there on Oct 23 they did not have one but I did see one in the alternate security area in August or September.

i was waived over to it, think they were just randomly picking & choosing kwim? fyi, my family's been subject to special treatment before, DH & DS have same name of bad guy on 'the list'. Redress & carrying passports has enabled them to mostly avoid the extra scruitiny, now & again they do get pulled aside, especially when traveling together. They found it ironic that I was selected that flight.

ive been reading op eds in local newspaper. It seems many selected for the screening feel their civil rights have been violated:confused3
and are trying to file a class action suit.

jmho, once a passenger places a suitcase on conveyor belt for screening, my right to expect that my fellow passengers (and the flight crew, including the pilots whether they like being repeatedly exposed to xrays or not :rolleyes:) are effectively screened; takes precedence over anybody's modesty issues.

I also will throw out there that it's a possibility, based upon my limited observations, that the TSA possibly does profile in this regard. (Anybody looking 'lumpish' i.e. a bit thick around the middle - which i profess I am one -might want to be prepared for the scanner at the 'bare;)' mininimum).

I also will throw out there that it's a possibility, based upon my limited observations, that the TSA possibly does profile in this regard. (Anybody looking 'lumpish' i.e. a bit thick around the middle - which i profess I am one -might want to be prepared for the scanner at the 'bare;)' mininimum).
A couple years ago after going through the WTMD, I was pulled aside for hand-wand screening (despite the fact the WTMD did NOT alarm). I politely asked "why" and was told it was because I was wearing a loose "hoodie" sweatshirt. I no longer wear a hoodie going through security.

All security areas I've used have had the signage. And that's my issue. It would seem that everyone thinks they are an experienced traveler. And they sure as heck or not. I know that one time when I was traveling with just my dd, someone a few people behind us made a comment about my dd being in that 'black diamond' line. Something about now the line was going to slow down with a kid in it. She was probably 12 at the time. Well people, that kid had her shoes off, her jacket off and her bag and everything else in those bins faster than anyone else around her. She strolled through the metal detector and grabbed her stuff, found a seat and slipped on her shoes. Now...who do you think held up the line??? Yup, Mr Bigmouth behind us. He left stuff in his pockets.

Totally OT, but I was in the black diamond lane several months ago, and there was a kid, maybe 4 years old in front of me. I was horrified (although I did try to contain my emotions - I wasn't in a rush, so just figured the mom hadn't paid attention or whatever.) This kid was AMAZING! She knew exactly what to do, and absolutely was as fast as any business traveler. Good for you for teaching your dd how to be an efficient traveler. Right now, we're still in the family lane with DS 19 months, but soon I hope he can follow in your dd's footsteps.

I can't believe the stink being made about this. It's not as if they'll scan you and have the images shown for the entire airport to see on giant screens. It'll be in a little corner where only the TSA agent will see it. Honestly - Who cares?

This guy has a point - the only way out of this is "don't fly."

I know people get annoyed when told "just don't fly." But the courts are not going to stop the scans or patdowns. Your congressional representatives will probably not be able to stop the scans or patdowns. The option with the best chance of working is - citizens don't fly, then let the airlines know why they are not patronizing their business. I think the guy was kind of misdirecting his letter, trying to get Disney to act instead of the airlines - which will be the most immediately impacted businesses - but he may be on the right track.

I don't think the letter writer believes Disney is behind the TSA's actions - he just thinks Disney may have enough clout to actually change things. They might, but first the big impact would be on the airlines.

It has a chance only if enough citizens are willing to give up flying and tell the airlines why.

I can't believe the stink being made about this. It's not as if they'll scan you and have the images shown for the entire airport to see on giant screens. It'll be in a little corner where only the TSA agent will see it. Honestly - Who cares?
How often do you fly?

How often do you fly?

Maybe 2-4 times per year.

Why? Am I wrong about who sees you being scanned? I haven't flown since they started doing this, so I could be talking out of my rear (which I guess everyone will get to see if I'm wrong.)

Maybe 2-4 times per year.

Why? Am I wrong about who sees you being scanned? I haven't flown since they started doing this, so I could be talking out of my rear (which I guess everyone will get to see if I'm wrong.)
I fly 2-3 times a week. To me this is more than an inconcenience; they pose a health risk to me (if these machines were being used for medical purposes, they'd still be in FDA tests!), and frankly they're ineffective when you're dealing with someone willing to give up their life to end other lives.

They're a show to make you feel safer, nothing more. And I'll opt-out as often as I can and will make the poking of my "gentleman's area" an experience the TSO won't forget... :X

This guy has a point - the only way out of this is "don't fly."

It has a chance only if enough citizens are willing to give up flying and tell the airlines why.

:thumbsup2 Very true and personally, but remember I'm a cynic as far as John Q. public is concerned. I doubt if that's going to happen. I think right now just like immediately after 9/11 every one is in an uproar. I think by summer of 2011 not a blessed thing will have changed (I hope for the sake of the people who are really upset some thing does but I'm not holding my breathe).

I fly about 3X's a month, more in the early part of the year so I really could care less, I love to travel so I've been scanned 2x with the new scanners in Philly and patted down once and all the folks on my daily commute could care less, but who knows. :confused3

I think as long as Southwest has 69.99 flights from Philly to Orlando with bags flying free, they've got nothing to worry about.

like I said, I'm pretty cynical so don't go by me. :rolleyes1

I plan on flying for the next 30 years at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter