Opening day At Aulani

so I'm seeing information that you have to wear a mask while in your lounger at the pool - is that confirmed? What about the lagoon area? or if we travel to another beach - still kinda unclear on the mask rules when just sitting with your household (in my case just my husband) socially distant from others. Thank you so much again!
That is confirmed. However if you rent a cabana you may take it off in the cabana. We are told the same rule applies to the lagoon but we have not spent time down there so I can not say first hand if it’s being enforced.
local beaches are being patrolled by HPD and if they feel you are not following physical distancing then they hand out tickets.

New menu items at Off da hook to include poke nachos (life changing) and batter dipped cauliflower florets (somewhat healthy, somewhat not, 100% delicious)

Attachments

• 866C28DE-765F-429F-9B6B-CB0082CE83B0.jpeg
    866C28DE-765F-429F-9B6B-CB0082CE83B0.jpeg
    105.8 KB · Views: 58
  • 557EA9F4-485F-48DB-A2AB-1D0F4F0D480B.jpeg
    557EA9F4-485F-48DB-A2AB-1D0F4F0D480B.jpeg
    103.2 KB · Views: 55
New menu items at Off da hook to include poke nachos (life changing) and batter dipped cauliflower florets (somewhat healthy, somewhat not, 100% delicious)
Ohhhhh my gosh...those poke nachos look almost good enough for me to fly all the way there in a mask....!! Others have said it, but thanks for taking time from your visit to share with all of us stuck at home!

so I'm seeing information that you have to wear a mask while in your lounger at the pool - is that confirmed? What about the lagoon area? or if we travel to another beach - still kinda unclear on the mask rules when just sitting with your household (in my case just my husband) socially distant from others. Thank you so much again!

Once you leave Aulani property you are subject to the city's rules. The lagoons are under the city's legal jurisdiction and the city requires that masks be worn outdoors when you are within 6' of a person who is not within your household. If you are sitting on the sand with your husband you may take your mask off. If a stranger walks within 6' of you, you're supposed to put your mask back on.

If you're walking to another beach, you should put on your mask every single time you pass within 6' of someone. Personally, I rarely see anyone NOT wearing a mask in public. It's very much the norm here on Oahu.

Unfortunately they do not right now.

That's a bummer. I was looking forward to seeing my kids get those on arriving.

Got another off the wall question for you: We were planning on doing a lot of cooking while there, and making use of the grills. Are they available? (Don't go out of your way on your vacation to find out, just wondering if you know off the top of your head)

Once you leave Aulani property you are subject to the city's rules. The lagoons are under the city's legal jurisdiction and the city requires that masks be worn outdoors when you are within 6' of a person who is not within your household. If you are sitting on the sand with your husband you may take your mask off. If a stranger walks within 6' of you, you're supposed to put your mask back on.

If you're walking to another beach, you should put on your mask every single time you pass within 6' of someone. Personally, I rarely see anyone NOT wearing a mask in public. It's very much the norm here on Oahu.
as always I appreciate your response and insight. :)

Got another off the wall question for you: We were planning on doing a lot of cooking while there, and making use of the grills. Are they available? (Don't go out of your way on your vacation to find out, just wondering if you know off the top of your head)
We have actually extended our stay and before I go run to get things to grill I was going to double check with the front desk that it is still an option. I will let you know what they say!

Ok I was incorrect. The grills are not available at this time!

From my Day 2 Post over on dvcfan.com:

Aulani Re-opening Stay, Day 2
*Long Post warning* Aulani continues to shine during reopening with incredibly low crowds, an acceptable (to us) level of amenities, and a few surprises here and there. There are some areas in need of improvement, but overall the experience is great and well worth the current Kama'aina (locals) rate of 50%(!!!) off that the majority of guests are utilizing. We just extended from two night to four because we cannot expect to ever see this ratio of crowd versus price again. Come for the photos, stay for the story.
-Capacity and Pool Deck: We verified through the front desk that the 65% room cap is directly related to Hawaii's phase 2 reopening plan. If and when we get to phase 3, that cap could increase. If so, I would begin to become concerned about space on the pool deck and restaurant capacity. Today we were at 20% capacity and would estimate that a similar 20% of lounge chairs remained empty though the day. Unlike days past where 6am meant starting to stake your claim, today at 8am the deck was near empty and quality options were present throughout the entire day. Signage indicates that pool capacity is limited by pool chairs, so theoretically a family of 5 would need to occupy 5 chairs rather than squeeze in to 3. This brings up more questions than I have answers on how the pool deck will be managed as capacity rises. The space to move around felt adequate off the pool deck. On deck, chairs are spaced to be able to walk through or around, but rarely both. This spacing did not account for two-way traffic, such as between two rows of chairs where the front row is right on the pool edge, for example. I expect chair fung shui to continue to evolve as crowds rise.
-Guest behavior: all in all good, with exception. The loose guidelines of pool deck masks have led to many levels of interpretation. We saw numerous people moving about freely without a mask, seemingly on their way either to or from a pool. By the rules, you could walk from the adult pool lounge chairs (behind Ulu Cafe) over to the waterslide (by Off Da Hook), but you are *encouraged* to maintain your mask on until the last opportunity to remove. Well, that encouragement did not inspire greatness with some select guests who appeared to stroll freely unmasked. In that case, I am not confident *yet* that a CM would intervene until I personally observe such an interaction. I expect this will become the source of highest tension: the grey area of masks in or near water. We did see some very mindful guests who kept masks on in the water, especially in the splash and kid’s areas where they would never get wet. If not for the open air and island breeze, this much variation in masking and distancing would cause me an ulcer. If the laziness and/or entitlement pendulum swings too far, I see mask usage in or near pools to become a topic of friction between those who care and those who do not.
-Cabana: There are large cabanas for reservation that run $400+ and are located between the Grotto, Adult Pool, and Menehune Bridge Water Play area, while small cabanas (fancy covered chairs, really) line the terraced decks along the lagoon. Available from 10-6, the large cabanas comes with water, fruit plate, dessert plate, sunscreen, portable speaker, TV, safe, lounging couch, and two premium lounge chairs. Different from previous visits was not having a dedicated server for the cabanas and no ability to bring a pack-n-play (a fantastic feature, IMO). We were allowed to lug the P-n-P from our villa, but the staff couldn’t handle them. This seemed odd as we had the same item delivered by bell services to our room. We had booked a cabana in the expectation that high crowds would put a premium on chairs early, but that was not the case at current capacity levels. Looking back, we would have not gone with a cabana today and saved that for a more crowded day.
-Food: We utilized Pool Side dining today, which is essentially a mobile version of Off Da Hook. The staff was running hard, as they only brought back 40% of pool deck wait staff in total. Our server was great, continuing the strong trend of every CM interaction being exceptional. The pool deck menu is updated and the not-to-be missed include #1 Ahi Poke Nachos, #2 Volcano Fries, and #3 Fried Cauliflower. Gone are the Fish and Chips, you will be missed my friend. Ulu Cafe continues to offer a rotating sandwich (Chicken Katsu), pizza (Spicy Kilauea), and hot plate (BBQ ribs) option along with the all-day menu. Dole Whip is currently only at Ulu Cafe but missing are any special themed cupcakes. Off Da Hook is a controlled entry/exit with table service vice walk up open seating and looks a bit tight for "socially distanced". Upon further review, Ama Ama shows no indication of adjusted seating or opening at all. Maka Hiki re-opening as a family style meal now has multiple, independent CM statements.
-Merchandise: Limited edition items popped back up in Kalepa's through the day to include a refresh on the Make-A-Wish x Aulani spirit jersey, Duffy & friend print Loungefly bags, and Wishables (insanity, I tell you). Hale Manu possibly reopens this weekend, but the store CMs appear to be running on daily, if not hourly, guidance. Their consistent lack of knowledge on store openings and merchandise arrivals is either intentional to deter planners or so poorly communicated as to appear to be intentional.
-Surprise: Characters showed up! We had apparently missed Mickey on the balcony yesterday, but today we were able to catch Mickey AND Minnie just above Ulu Cafe, enjoying the balcony of a 3BR Grand Villa where most certainly they are hand-making the rest of the Christmas merchandise that has yet to arrive. Later, we found signage and stanchions for PhotoPass near the common entrance between Olelo Room and Maka Hiki that implies some form of character meet & greet/selfie may be coming?
-Dynamic plans: We made the call to extend our stay in the case the crowd levels rising warranted cancellation due to the inability to still feel safe. The front desk CM was able to accommodate but would require us to swap rooms, as their protocols are requiring extremely strict management of rooms with someone coming in behind us. We begrudgingly accepted but were pleasantly surprised when later we got the call we could remain in our same room! This little bit of magic seems to still be possible, just not always as quick or easy given the added layers of safety.
-Impression: We tacked on two more days, so that should sum up how we feel. Right now feels good, but we are worried the future may cross our threshold of comfort if crowds increase and/or social responsibility decreases. But that means we can keep the DVC Ohana up to date as the week unfolds. Let us know if you want us to dive into any area not yet covered. Mahalo and Aloha!

From my Day 2 Post over on dvcfan.com:

Aulani Re-opening Stay, Day 2
*Long Post warning* Aulani continues to shine during reopening with incredibly low crowds, an acceptable (to us) level of amenities, and a few surprises here and there. There are some areas in need of improvement, but overall the experience is great and well worth the current Kama'aina (locals) rate of 50%(!!!) off that the majority of guests are utilizing. We just extended from two night to four because we cannot expect to ever see this ratio of crowd versus price again. Come for the photos, stay for the story.
-Capacity and Pool Deck: We verified through the front desk that the 65% room cap is directly related to Hawaii's phase 2 reopening plan. If and when we get to phase 3, that cap could increase. If so, I would begin to become concerned about space on the pool deck and restaurant capacity. Today we were at 20% capacity and would estimate that a similar 20% of lounge chairs remained empty though the day. Unlike days past where 6am meant starting to stake your claim, today at 8am the deck was near empty and quality options were present throughout the entire day. Signage indicates that pool capacity is limited by pool chairs, so theoretically a family of 5 would need to occupy 5 chairs rather than squeeze in to 3. This brings up more questions than I have answers on how the pool deck will be managed as capacity rises. The space to move around felt adequate off the pool deck. On deck, chairs are spaced to be able to walk through or around, but rarely both. This spacing did not account for two-way traffic, such as between two rows of chairs where the front row is right on the pool edge, for example. I expect chair fung shui to continue to evolve as crowds rise.
-Guest behavior: all in all good, with exception. The loose guidelines of pool deck masks have led to many levels of interpretation. We saw numerous people moving about freely without a mask, seemingly on their way either to or from a pool. By the rules, you could walk from the adult pool lounge chairs (behind Ulu Cafe) over to the waterslide (by Off Da Hook), but you are *encouraged* to maintain your mask on until the last opportunity to remove. Well, that encouragement did not inspire greatness with some select guests who appeared to stroll freely unmasked. In that case, I am not confident *yet* that a CM would intervene until I personally observe such an interaction. I expect this will become the source of highest tension: the grey area of masks in or near water. We did see some very mindful guests who kept masks on in the water, especially in the splash and kid’s areas where they would never get wet. If not for the open air and island breeze, this much variation in masking and distancing would cause me an ulcer. If the laziness and/or entitlement pendulum swings too far, I see mask usage in or near pools to become a topic of friction between those who care and those who do not.
-Cabana: There are large cabanas for reservation that run $400+ and are located between the Grotto, Adult Pool, and Menehune Bridge Water Play area, while small cabanas (fancy covered chairs, really) line the terraced decks along the lagoon. Available from 10-6, the large cabanas comes with water, fruit plate, dessert plate, sunscreen, portable speaker, TV, safe, lounging couch, and two premium lounge chairs. Different from previous visits was not having a dedicated server for the cabanas and no ability to bring a pack-n-play (a fantastic feature, IMO). We were allowed to lug the P-n-P from our villa, but the staff couldn’t handle them. This seemed odd as we had the same item delivered by bell services to our room. We had booked a cabana in the expectation that high crowds would put a premium on chairs early, but that was not the case at current capacity levels. Looking back, we would have not gone with a cabana today and saved that for a more crowded day.
-Food: We utilized Pool Side dining today, which is essentially a mobile version of Off Da Hook. The staff was running hard, as they only brought back 40% of pool deck wait staff in total. Our server was great, continuing the strong trend of every CM interaction being exceptional. The pool deck menu is updated and the not-to-be missed include #1 Ahi Poke Nachos, #2 Volcano Fries, and #3 Fried Cauliflower. Gone are the Fish and Chips, you will be missed my friend. Ulu Cafe continues to offer a rotating sandwich (Chicken Katsu), pizza (Spicy Kilauea), and hot plate (BBQ ribs) option along with the all-day menu. Dole Whip is currently only at Ulu Cafe but missing are any special themed cupcakes. Off Da Hook is a controlled entry/exit with table service vice walk up open seating and looks a bit tight for "socially distanced". Upon further review, Ama Ama shows no indication of adjusted seating or opening at all. Maka Hiki re-opening as a family style meal now has multiple, independent CM statements.
-Merchandise: Limited edition items popped back up in Kalepa's through the day to include a refresh on the Make-A-Wish x Aulani spirit jersey, Duffy & friend print Loungefly bags, and Wishables (insanity, I tell you). Hale Manu possibly reopens this weekend, but the store CMs appear to be running on daily, if not hourly, guidance. Their consistent lack of knowledge on store openings and merchandise arrivals is either intentional to deter planners or so poorly communicated as to appear to be intentional.
-Surprise: Characters showed up! We had apparently missed Mickey on the balcony yesterday, but today we were able to catch Mickey AND Minnie just above Ulu Cafe, enjoying the balcony of a 3BR Grand Villa where most certainly they are hand-making the rest of the Christmas merchandise that has yet to arrive. Later, we found signage and stanchions for PhotoPass near the common entrance between Olelo Room and Maka Hiki that implies some form of character meet & greet/selfie may be coming?
-Dynamic plans: We made the call to extend our stay in the case the crowd levels rising warranted cancellation due to the inability to still feel safe. The front desk CM was able to accommodate but would require us to swap rooms, as their protocols are requiring extremely strict management of rooms with someone coming in behind us. We begrudgingly accepted but were pleasantly surprised when later we got the call we could remain in our same room! This little bit of magic seems to still be possible, just not always as quick or easy given the added layers of safety.
-Impression: We tacked on two more days, so that should sum up how we feel. Right now feels good, but we are worried the future may cross our threshold of comfort if crowds increase and/or social responsibility decreases. But that means we can keep the DVC Ohana up to date as the week unfolds. Let us know if you want us to dive into any area not yet covered. Mahalo and Aloha!
Thanks for the great report! How is the beach and lagoon in terms of crowding?

Thanks for the great report! How is the beach and lagoon in terms of crowding?
Equally low, especially yesterday. Weekdays are pretty tame, but the weekends draw guests and local residents to the lagoons, as they must still remain accessible to the public. There is a whole history of how Ko Olina, the company/property, mis-managed that and got slapped by the city and state.

From my latest post on dvcfan.com:

Aulani Re-opening Stay, Day 3
*Long Post warning* Opening day crowds have abated, and the property is calm. Sunrise was immaculate and an empty property lighting up was a serene sight on such a notable day for this nation. No major developments in any area across property. The most apparent change is how light the crowd is as compared to yesterday, teasing us with the thought that weekdays through the end of the year may be an experience worth traveling for. As far as the weekends, we are not as optimistic based on CM expectations of high capacity for the first full weekend on a pent-up island.
-Capacity and Pool Deck: Today was notably slower than yesterday, which was expected as today was foremost a weekday where yesterday was foremost the first full day of reopening, independent of the day of the week. Crowds were much lower with every portion of the pool deck at 50% or less full. Every seating area had availability through the day and would have been easy to distance safely. I expect this to be the trend during weekdays, as pool deck and front end CMs echoed that the next few weekdays were expected to slow considerably. However, the weekend looks to swing to the other side of the spectrum, expecting to be at or near the 65% capacity on the first full weekend of reopening. Not all cabanas were utilized today, another signal of a much lower pool deck capacity. Pool deck CMs were much less taxed, as their staffing increased and sections shrunk even before the lower crowds. Beach crowding mirrors the pool deck. We have entered the golden days indeed.
-Guest behavior: With less crowding came better behavior, mostly. While the lower crowding assumedly led to a letting down of the guard with respect to safety, guest compliance and consideration continues to be at or above what we consider acceptable. This continues to be an area I expect to change come the weekend.
-Food: Ulu Café was today’s focus. The morning started with an acai bowl, where they had to compensate for missing a few of the key fruits with an increased portion of what they did have. This is not a big deal, but it is a commonality across property, that supply chains are not fully stood up and menus are not always able to be met to perfection. This is an area where the CM is the star, as they lean in to make it right before the customer must ask, a much-appreciated experience. Lunch was a Spicy poke bowl and was a hit. We had not previously had poke on property but will now change that going forward. The ahi was fresh and flavorful with the right amount of spice and sauce. Along with spicy, Ulu offers a classic and California version of the poke bowl as well as a build your own option. Having regular access to some of the best poke on island, the Ulu Café rendition is a great option for the convenience and price of on property while also being high quality. Dinner tonight offered a pesto pizza, bbq sandwich, and a crispy garlic chicken dish. Per the CM, their menu is a weekly rotation, so come get your Garlic Chicken on Tuesdays, it looked great. Traditional favorites of the Mickey musubi and specialty Ulu cupcakes are not yet in production, either due to the supply chain gaps or just not being fully up to speed.
-Merchandise: Limited edition items continued to repopulate in Kalepa’s with no new Christmas merchandise (holiday rage!). We are eagerly watching for this year’s specific spirit jersey, as last year’s version was one of our favorites. Resellers have yet to return, allowing resort guests to enjoy opening Wishables to their heart’s content. We have 3 of the 4 exclusive ourselves, still on the hunt for the shave ice. What has this world come to. No new word on Hale Manu’s reopening but it looks ready today.
-Characters: Mickey and Minnie continue to pop up on balconies low and high, although the high (floor 7-8) does not make any sense. No development on the PhotoPass station areas nor are any CMs alluding to any more than balconies for the time being. Stitch returning may cause riots.
-Impression: The next few days may be the quietest for the foreseeable future, as we build toward the first full weekend for the state, then Thanksgiving, and then Christmas. I know that all the military on the island across services are expecting various levels of restricted/no leave, which along with the locals could jam capacity pretty high, aside from any visitors from off island. With current promotions leaving off Thanksgiving and December from the 22nd on, the crowd level will be intriguing to see develop over the next few days. It could be a sparsely populated Disney oasis, or the equivalent of putting a water park inside Disney Springs. Mahalo for staying along for the ride so far.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter