• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Opening week of Hagrids~ Planning help

gibsontrio

DIS Veteran
Myself and my 3 kiddos are heading to US/IOA for the first time. I booked a condo (no express pass and I don't want to book another hotel) for the week of June 8th. We have the 4 day military park to park tickets. I also planned on heading to Sea World one day and take one day to relax and do nothing (so 6 full days total.
I don't intend to ride Hagrids as all the rides are new to us and, well, obviously that line will be a mad house. My original plan before the ride opening was announced was:
9th- 1st day at US/IOA
10th- 2nd day at US/IOA
11th- 3rd day of US/IOA
12th- Day off
13th- Sea world
14th- 4th day at US/IOA
With Hagrid opening up do you think I should cram all my US/IOA days in from the 9th-12th or just avoid the park Hagrid is in? I know we will be waiting in line regardless, but I dont want to have to worry about even getting into the park if it reaches capacity. Any suggestions? Anyone else going the same time? Gameplan?

We will be there that same week, long planned before the announcement. We come in late on the 10th. Our plan is to hit IOA/USO for EE on the 11th, volcano bay on the 12th, back to IOA/USO on the 13th again using EE but with the caveat that if no one wants to get up early we won't. 14th we have breakfast at Animal Kingdom planned then whatever we want after that. 15th we fly out late so I had assumed we'd be sort of what didn't happen that we want to happen. I"m hopeful that the parks won't be at capacity and we intend to be anywhere BUT in line for the new ride.

So basically, early entry and using the line ride apps to bounce around the park. I plan to have a family meeting before we leave and map out what everyone really wants to do so we can knock that out early. My goal would be to wake up on Thursday and only go if we want to. Pool time? sounds good to me! Park time? sure.

We are in the same boat. I was initially excited when I saw that the ride was opening while we were there, then realized I would not be willing to wait hours to ride it and I think it's safe to assume the park will be more crowded overall for the opening. I ultimately decided to do Universal in the days before the ride opens. I still think there might be an increase in crowds that week as far as people who may have scheduled a trip to be there just for the ride opening, but I have to think the days just prior to June 13 will be better than the 13th and 14th.

That looks like a good plan. By leaving another day of Universal for that last day, you still have the option to try to ride Hagrid's new ride if you want to (you might find that you've done most of the rides on the 3 previous visits and want to wait for the new ride on the last day). If you want to avoid the ride the last day, you can still go to the other areas of the parks.

We are in the same boat. I was initially excited when I saw that the ride was opening while we were there, then realized I would not be willing to wait hours to ride it and I think it's safe to assume the park will be more crowded overall for the opening. I ultimately decided to do Universal in the days before the ride opens. I still think there might be an increase in crowds that week as far as people who may have scheduled a trip to be there just for the ride opening, but I have to think the days just prior to June 13 will be better than the 13th and 14th.

You still may be able to get to ride it with a soft/preview opening of the ride, probably with less wait than opening day.

atricks - I'm not going to lie - this is what I hope will happen! Not counting on it, but hoping!

We love UO and especially the HP areas.... but I can’t imagine the park will be at capacity for just one ride. It does look to be an excellent ride, but it is just one new ride. The parks may be crowded for the opening day of Hagrid’s, but other than that I would think you will be fine.

You still may be able to get to ride it with a soft/preview opening of the ride, probably with less wait than opening day.

Not necessarily.

Soft opening days are unpredictable. You're essentially waiting for something that either might not open up at all, or if it does open, might close down due to technical difficulties. During the soft opening periods, they will tell guests that it might open, but that is about it and encourage people that if they want to wait for it to open, they can wait. They do not disclose when it will open and if it closes, they will not tell you when it will open again. You are essentially waiting in line for something that may, or may not happen and even if it does happen for you, it won't be until hours later.

So, regardless of whether waiting for it soft opening days, or during the actual opening, you're going to be waiting for hours.

Personally, I would suggest the OP to get your fill of all that you want to achieve and conquer at US/IOA before thinking about waiting hours for Hagrid's coaster.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter