Operation Disney in December--PTR followed by TR!

Mommy2PrincessAbby

DIS Veteran
Okay, yes, 2012, ONE year away now (I started this thread when it was 2 years away... but we're getting closer!)... but I really can't stand not starting a PTR. So here goes. ;)

Cast of Characters:

Me (the mom!) :surfweb:
DH (not as Disney enthused as me, but he'll go along with whatever I say!)pirate:
and DD (who will be 8 3/4 in December 2012) princess:

A little background:

We are from Oregon... have been to DL a few times (not as many times as others on this board by far--see my siggy.) And we love it!! About every other trip DD and I go by ourselves because DH is out fishing somewhere or something, so I book a trip to the Land as payback.

Why 2012?? Well... we just went, and sure, I'd go again tomorrow if I could, but I have put some thought into this. Little Mermaid is done now... and then Carsland summer of 2012 correct? Well, DD is an Ariel fan, but DH is really a Cars fan... so I think we might as well wait till Carsland is done... odds are summer of 2012 will be nuts. We've been twice for Halloween, so that is out... and we have never been for the Christmas season. So, there you go, December 2012. :santa:.

So that brings me to dates... I really don't know when we want to go... I narrowed it to a two week window... and we want to go for 6 days. We've done 4, 5, & 6 day trips. And 5 is really perfect, but if Christmas-time is more crowded, I think we'll do 6 just to be on the safe side--we are after all going to have to find time for Carsland and Little Mermaid in the schedule!!

So, dates... ummm.... November 22nd is Thanksgiving in 2012, and there is no way we'll be going that weekend... so the Wednesday following I think would be the earliest we'd leave-- November 28th. I am leaning toward a Wed-Monday in the parks... so drum roll please... :laughing: we chose:

Wednesday, December 5th - Monday, December 10th

Of course, I could do Tuesday-Sunday... but I think being there a Sunday night will give us an extra entertainment night. And with any luck Wednesday & Thursday will be pretty quiet.

I am hoping we will manage to miss CP (hopefully it will be before or after we are there) and the cast parties will probably be the night we leave, so we'll miss those too! :teacher:

I usually get my plane fare 8-10 months out on some sort of sale... and that will be way before any type of calendar is up. Be sure though I am watching the boards carefully in during 2011 Christmas-time.

What about where to stay though? More thoughts to ponder!! DD and I just did PP for the 1st time, and really loved it. It felt miles closer than the DLH to us. DH has only stayed at the DLH with us, and knows nothing other than that. So, maybe we splurge and do the GCH in 2012? The weather won't be awesome enough for pool time, but the DLH pool area should be all done, so it might be nice to stay there in one of the new refurbished rooms (since that should be done too...) :confused3 At any rate will be staying on site. :thumbsup2

It will also be interesting to see if they bring the Christmas Party over from WDW and try it at DL. I know some people are really opposed to it. But, we've done the Halloween Party twice, and really loved the experience, and would do the Christmas party in a heartbeat... even if it only means cookies and cocoa and a few meet and greets, and probably special fireworks.

Then of course we'll need a night for F! and a night for WOC (we love them both and could never bear to choose between them...) So, that is why we definitely need the 5 nights/6 days... whew!!

I also know we will be flying into LGB as long as Jet Blue is still flying there... we love Jet Blue... and will fly with them any chance we get....

So there you have it. The beginnings of my crazy PTR... I am such an over planner!!!

;)

Welcome Jenn! I see you are going in 10 months!! Woohoo!!! :cool1:

I'll be there just a year after you... I assume you are timing it to see the Christmas stuff and low crowds at the same time too?? How exciting! :thumbsup2

And here I thought I was the only overplanner! :) we leave in 553 days (not that I'm counting or anything) and I've got most of my trip planned!

I've never flown on jet blue before, do they work like southwest or do you get an assinged seat?

And here I thought I was the only overplanner! :) we leave in 553 days (not that I'm counting or anything) and I've got most of my trip planned!

I've never flown on jet blue before, do they work like southwest or do you get an assinged seat?

553 days!! Awesome! :cool1:

Jet Blue has assigned seating, free Directv in all the seatbacks and tons of awesome snacks (as many as you want)! Way better than Southwest, and I have scored $59 each way tix from PDX to LGB the last couple trips... also way better than Southwest!

Welcome Jenn! I see you are going in 10 months!! Woohoo!!! :cool1:

I'll be there just a year after you... I assume you are timing it to see the Christmas stuff and low crowds at the same time too?? How exciting! :thumbsup2

We are going Dec 5 - 9 so Mon - Fri we leave to go home on Friday. I hope I picked good dates.

It just dawned on me that by the time we get to DL dd will be 8 3/4 and too big for a stroller... mentally at least, if not physically... my volo only goes to 55 lbs... and she's 10 lbs shy of that now. So, she might make it weight wise... but anyhow... this insight is making me lean toward GCH, I know how tired I am by day 4 or so... so dd will probably be pretty tired too... and I have a feeling naps will still be a must. So, I think we'll buck up an do the GCH for convenience sake! :thumbsup2

So, today I took my mom back to the airport after her visit... and my dd says "why exactly can't we just hop on a plane and go to Disneyland? We are already at the airport, and can't we just buy some jammies when we get there?" Boy, was that tempting! If it a: wasn't spring break and b: the planes were so full that I would have had to pay $400 a piece just to get a ticket I might have said, "Let's go!!"

I really can't wait for 2012 to get here... :woohoo:

So, we found out today that my daughter got accepted to the new local charter school, which is awesome news! I had already planned on using our current private school tuition money to start saving for DL, now that I won't have to pay for tuition anymore. :banana:

DD was just asking about DL the other day, it is really sinking in that it is a year and a half before we will be there again. Hopefully we can make it that long! ;)

Hello!

I agree with your daughter! Why can't you just get on a plane and go to DL?!?!?

Ha-Ha.... Little does she know how much time (and $$) goes into making her time at DL priceless!

Somehow I have a feeling that waiting till 2012 may become VERY difficult!!!

Wow! You are going in two weeks!? So excited for you... I have DL music on my mp3 player, and have been listening on shuffle a lot lately--so the pirates theme, or the electric parade theme, or the F! theme keeps making me miss DL even more.

Meanwhile, I am also planning a trip to the Riviera Maya for next June... so I am hoping that can occupy some of my time before I go nuts thinking about our next trip to DL! :dance3:

Wow! You are going in two weeks!? So excited for you... I have DL music on my mp3 player, and have been listening on shuffle a lot lately--so the pirates theme, or the electric parade theme, or the F! theme keeps making me miss DL even more.

Meanwhile, I am also planning a trip to the Riviera Maya for next June... so I am hoping that can occupy some of my time before I go nuts thinking about our next trip to DL! :dance3:

Yes! 2 weeks from tomorrow I will be starting my Birthday celebration! I'm so excited!

My first time to DL was last October and that actually came about because I was wanting to go back to WDW so bad. I had even started planning a trip but by the time I priced it all out it was going to be way to expensive and I came to my senses. So my hubby said well why don't you go to DL! :rotfl2: Little did he know what that would spark! Who knew I could have almost everything I love (and more!) about WDW so much closer!! I bought an Annual Pass before I even stepped foot in the gates for the first time because I knew I would have to go back!

Good luck making it till Dec 2012!

For some reason, it just dawned on me, that my odds of my boss approving my time off will greatly increase if I am not asking for the last day of the month off... so, it is decided-- December 5th-10th will be our trip days. I am really hoping that any cast parties will be held on Monday and/or Tuesday, and that we will be fine going Wed-Monday! We don't live far away, and usually can get flights in around 9 am and leave on the last day around 3 pm... so that will be the plan! In early on Wednesday and last morning in the parks on Monday. That way we can have Fri, Sat, and Sun for night time shows.

:cool1:

Glad you were able to pick your dates. :goodvibes I've never been around Christmas before. We'll be going this November and I'm hoping the Christmas decorations will be up? As far as I know they should be "going" up while we're there. So we'll probably get to see it transformed? Do they have a lot of cast parties near Christmas or something? I've never had to deal with such a thing. I'm asumming that means the parks close early?

I've never been at Christmas either, but I have heard about the cast parties during the first couple weeks--seems to always change when they have them exactly, but yes, the parks would close at 6 usually instead of 8 or 9 on on early night. We usually aren't in the parks past 10... but 6 is a tad early.

Christmas decor usually goes up (from what I have heard) mid-way through November... so I hope you get to see it all decorated!!

:cool1::dance3::cheer2::dance3::banana::cool1:

So excited!

I've officially booked our trip!

We're going Dec 5th-10th 2012... and so far I have a standard view room at the PP booked, with 6 day hoppers, and 1 regular and 1 premium character meal (we do love our character meals!!)

Total is: $2575, and the deposit was $200... balance due on November 5th, 2012 is $2375. Oh, and I already have a $250 gift card for food. Need to get a couple more of those, I figure food will run us $800 for the trip, usually $50 per person per day, and I am subtracting only $100 for the character meals to be safe.

Now, the waiting game... when it gets closer and they start making deals, I will upgrade to a theme park room, or if the deal is good enough over to GCH.

I usually book through costco travel, but I couldn't book this far out with them, and I am not great at just saving the $$ in my account and paying later... I'd rather make payments as we go from now till November 2012. Plus I am paying on a trip to Mexico for next June... so every other paycheck, some $$ will go to Disney.

Can't wait to see what goodies they come up with for this Christmas.... will help my planning for next year!!

:woohoo:

Sounds like you are going to have a great trip. I hope you do not mind me hopping on and reading! We will be going around the same time next year as well. We are going to do a large family trip.

cant wait to read more!

Thanks! Yeah I am a planner for sure. I just like to have things in order. It also helps with my Disney fever.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter