• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Opinion on my August strategy of 2 DAHs and 1 MNSSHP vs regular tix

barefootMom

Mouseketeer
Hi -- can someone let me know what they think about what I am thinking of doing when we are in Orlando the week of Aug. 17? My family has been many times to Disney but is staying off property for this particular week because we are actually there to bring my daughter to college in Orlando. Before moving her in on the 24th though we planned on doing some Disney days and will be buying her an annual pass before we get there. Originally I was thinking I would buy the remaining 3 of us either 3 or 4 day park passes but now am thinking of doing something different. We have never done a DAH event OR the MNSSHP and I am wondering if it might be fun to do 3 of those events instead of traditional park days. The DAH while we are there are MK and AK so if we do it this way we end up not going to HS or Epcot this trip (we do love Epcot but I suppose could always just pay for a 1 day ticket there if we felt the need that week but do not care about missing HS). Knowing the FL heat can be most intense during the day I was thinking maybe this would be an OK strategy to do other stuff during the days and then these 3 things at night? I know it can rain at any point so there is no planning around that. It actually is just slightly cheaper to do it this way compared to buying traditional tickets if I am doing the math correctly. thoughts?

Compared to regular prices, DAH works out to way cheaper for my family too. Especially if you buy an AP for one person. I bought my family tickets on a really good promotion that’s no longer available, otherwise I would do the same thing you are considering too.
In fact, I decided to do one more day at the parks, and AK DAH was cheaper for the three of us to go than upgrading the two tickets by almost 100$

Look for threads on DAH, there are some mini trip reports and lots of info on them about the events. You will have a great time, and it will be cooler going in the evening. The MNSSHP is always great too. Enjoy!

If they offered Dah events when we are going I would definitely do it. Unfortunately we are going in October so now I will need to plan another trip around DAH if they continue to offer them for next year. Lower crowds, evenings at the parks ,cooler temps, and shorter lines yes count me in!

I think it’s a good strategy. As you mention, it’s very hot in August but becomes manageable at night. We’ve gone late August for the past 8 years and can only recall one evening when it rained past 7 pm. Even then, the showers are typically short.

This sounds like a genius plan. When I was there last I wished that I hadn't already pre-purchased tickets for every day of our trip because there was a MK DAH event released afterwards. I couldn't bring myself to buy both a day ticket and DAH, so we missed out, but fewer crowds and lower temps sounds heavenly to me. Enjoy.

We did DAH at MK and AK earlier this month and enjoyed them both. Did almost everything at MK. But AK is a bit trickier since the shows, trails, and safari aren’t open during DAH. However for both we were able to make three FP (I booked them starting at 6pm-ish). And we also were able to enter both parks at 630pm. I wouldn’t hesitate to do a trip with just DAH.

That sounds like a great idea! We’ve done DAH MK & MNSHHP, no regular park tickets on those days and really enjoyed it. You can still make FPs with those special event tickets.

We are doing exactly that!

Flying in Thursday morning with just carryons, grabbing a late lunch, checking into our hotel, taking a nap/breather, heading to Magic Kingdom for Disney Villains After Hours.
Sleeping in Friday, chilling out at the hotel, late lunch, then Hollywood Studios After Hours.
Sleeping in Saturday until check out time, having the hotel hold our carryons, heading to the Boardwalk for lunch, then Disney Springs to do a little shopping, defeat the Empire at The Void, have dinner, then head back to the hotel to catch the Tragical Express for a very late flight home.

Quick trip, but exactly what I need, 2019 has been a very, very rough year for me.

Am I doing the math wrong. but how a trip made up of DAH, that Costs 125.00 be less than a 3 or 4 day park ticket.pass? granted the MNSSHP is cheaper than a one day MK ticket. but If doing more than one day Arent the them park tickets much cheaper seeing the per day cost goes down as you add days?

OP said that one party member was getting an AP. So, the event tickets are discounted.

And the new ticket prices don't drop as well as they used to - a three day non-hopper in August is roughly $330.

AP discounted DAH and MNSSHP would be just a little under that, maybe just by a few dollars, but still.

(These all depend on what exact days, but ballpark - they're right).

OP said that one party member was getting an AP. So, the event tickets are discounted.

And the new ticket prices don't drop as well as they used to - a three day non-hopper in August is roughly $330.

AP discounted DAH and MNSSHP would be just a little under that, maybe just by a few dollars, but still.

(These all depend on what exact days, but ballpark - they're right).
Yes, that is exactly how it is just slightly cheaper - the AP discounts that apply to the hard ticketed events help a lot and bring it to just slightly less money. I think we are going to give it a try!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter