Opinion please AKL or WL

classicpooh

<font color=FF66FF>Wishes everyone a Disney day!
What do you guys think? We have always wanted to stay at one of these resorts - they would both be standard rooms... We are going with kids ages 3,6. Any opinions would be appreciated. Thanks

I have the same situation and question. We are leaning to WL because it is close to MK. I wonder what the experts think.

I'm no expert and I haven't stayed at either one yet, but will be staying at AKL in June. My first choice was WL but it was booked, so we went with AKL. I am worried about AKL being too far from everything except AK, which we usually don't spend a lot of time there, maybe a day or so. But then I heard their transportation was very good, so I'm okay with staying there.

Do your kids like animals? Stay at AKL. Will you be spending more time at MK? Stay at WL. Both resorts are similar as they had the same architect from what I heard.

I don't think you will go wrong with either one. Good luck with whatever you decide.

We have stayed at WL twice - watch for the bed corners - you'll have bruised shins !!
We like it there and would recommend it for service and position. When at our villa this Easter we went into AKL to have a good look round - restaurants etc - our honest opinion was that WL won hands down, but that AKL was really nice too. Just not as comfortable somehow.
Don't know if this helps !

I'm a HUGE WL fan, and actually stayed at both in Feb, so I was able to get a pretty good comparision. I agree with the previous poster, the WL just seems more homey and inviting to me than the AKL. They were designed by the same architect as they both have a similiar structure, especialy the Lobby. When I walked into the AKL for the first time last summer, I said to DH, "Looks just like the WL, but Africian themed." The AKL does have a zero entry pool, the WL does not, but my kids always want to be in the water floating anyway. It really is a personal thing. With the ages of your children, you'll be spending a lot of time at MK, so the WL is definately more convient than the AKL. Good luck with your decision!!

We just got back from our Disney Vacation two days ago. We stayed at AKL. I can only say that I liked it more and more each day. I thought that it was very cozy and warm in the lobby and also the rooms. And there is this wonderful smell in the lobby that I just can't describe, maybe spicy would be the word for it. Our room had Bunk Beds in it for our daughters, 10 & 8 and they loved it. They took turns sleeping on the top bunk. We rented a car and used only that to get to the parks and out for dinner. My husband and I really don't like waiting for buses, especially my husband, when he wants to go, he wants to go. It only took about 10 minutes to get wherever we were going, and we were able to have dinners at Chef Mickeys, Spoodles, Cindy's, and Ice Cream at Beaches n Cream when we felt like it.

We stayed in room 2459 on the Zebra Trail but did not see any Zebras, they weren 't on our Savannah. It is such a COOL place, unlike any other hotel in the USA. I think you should give it a shot.

I'm in no way an expert but given the ages of your children I think you'd be better with WL. We just got back from there with our 3 1/2 yo DD and she loved it. I had originally booked AKL because she loves animals but changed after I saw some pictures. ALK looks beautiful but I thought some of the theming might frighten DD. Also I didn't like the idea of having to use our car or a bus to get everywhere. The boats at WL are great and you can easily wheel a stroller right on the larger one that goes to MK. It's possible with the CR boat just not as easy. You can take the boat to MK or CR and hop the monorail to Epcot as well. Also, WL has a beach.

Have a great trip.

:)

Great points everyone. CEDmom - I comepletely forgot about the WL having a beach. Can you play with sand toys on it? Also love the idea of getting from WL to EPCOT via the monorail. More fun if nothing else.
What did you think of the proximity of the WL to FW - did you explore FW?
Thanks!

Originally posted by classicpooh
What do you guys think? We have always wanted to stay at one of these resorts - they would both be standard rooms... We are going with kids ages 3,6. Any opinions would be appreciated. Thanks

I am assuming that since you have two young children that you are planning on spending most of your time at the MK. If this assumtion is correct then I would say that the WL would be better suited for your trip.

We just came back from 3 of the most amazing, magical nights at AKL. I really cannot say anything bad about it. DS is 8 & DD is 4 & they woke up every morning excited to see the animals. There is nothing frightening about this resort. The size is perfect, the music calming, food great, people warm, & my DD loved the pool so much she wanted to be there instead of MK!(go figure!)

Tiffany,

You can play with sand toys on the beach. I was able to cram a few small ones in our luggage. The merchantile sells a set for about $15 bucks. However, I think most kids could have fun with a plastic cup and spoon. Have a great trip whatever you decide.

Kate

Although I love visiting both of these resorts and think that the theming and pools are great, I am not enamored of the rooms. They are no bigger than those at CBR, and very dark and cramped. Your kids would probably really like AKL for the animals, ... I would try to swing a Savannah view to make it more of an adventure, though!

Just my opinion.

We'll be at AKL in a couple of weeks. The we had the same problem but chose AKL. It sounds like an amazing resort, although you really can't go wrong!!!
:earsboy: :sunny:

Originally posted by CEDmom
Tiffany,

You can play with sand toys on the beach. I was able to cram a few small ones in our luggage. The merchantile sells a set for about $15 bucks. However, I think most kids could have fun with a plastic cup and spoon. Have a great trip whatever you decide.

Kate

Hi CEDmom,

I think you wanted your posted directed to the OP and not me. Not a big deal just trying to be clear.

I have stayed at both and the buses from AKL were much better than those at WL..when I was there.

I think your children would LOVE AKL :)

This is my very favorite question on these boards...
This is our honest opinion:

During December, we split our stay between the AKL and the WL.
Absolutely without question....we preferred the AKL...so much so that I have no words to describe how disappointed we were in the WL.
The CMs were much friendlier, the resort was in much better physical condition, the food alternatives were far better at the AKL than were they at WL.
The AKL is a "destination" in itself....and the bus transportation far superior to the WL.
Young and old alike will find themselves completely absorbed in the animals and the overall atmosphere.

This is strictly our opinion....but we would absolutely pick AKL over WL in a heart beat.

Best of luck with your decision...and have a wonderful trip :bounce:

We have stayed at WL 15 times and AKL twice. You can't go wrong with either resort. The WL is our favorite resort at WDW. We do go to WDW during the off-season, so my opinions are based on that. To us the WL has a more friendly, warmer and cozy feeling than the AKL. I have found the CM's at the WL to be more friendly than the AKL, CM's. During our stays at the WL the transportation has been fine. The boat ride to the MK is a special treat for us.

FW Campground is a nice boat ride from the WL or a 20-30 minute walk. FW has a petting farm. We might be in the minority, but we liked The Roaring Fork(counter food) better than the Mara(counter food) at the AKL. Bunk beds are available at both resorts.

At 9:30-35 pm you can watch the EWP on Bay Lake at WL. You will enjoy whichever place you pick.

We picked WL for out Sept. trip. Can't wait to try it. Really the only downside we can see is the buses, and we will have a car, so that is avoidable.
Also, the proximity to MK was a clincher. Can't wait!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter