Opinion Poll: Should Disney build a Battlebots Attraction at EPCOT?

Would you like a Battlebots attraction at EPCOT?

• Yes

• No

• Undecided

Results are only viewable after voting.

liquidbase

Mouseketeer
To prevent confusion, this thread is not a rumor or news story but is intended to share and help determine the feasibility of having an attraction based on the TV show Battlebots at EPCOT assuming the show's recent revival becomes successful enough.

This attraction would give guests the opportunity to experience Battlebots as if they were on the TV show. As I imagine the attraction experience itself, guests choose to be an audience member or a contestant. Those who choose to compete go through a brief audition process. Those who pass the audition then proceed to design their battlebot. Construction would consist of using a touchscreen to choose a variety of pre-built parts and accessories which are easy and quick to install to be assembled around a base mechanical body. Next, one of several expert teams of engineers quickly put the battlebot together according to the contestant's preferences. Finally, at show time, the contestant gets to pilot his or her battlebot and compete against other contestants and their battlebots. In addition, engineer teams stand by to quickly repair and/or replace parts in between matches. The winners from different shows throughout the day become invited to come back in a finale show to compete for a special prize.

Why would EPCOT be the best theme park to host a Battlebots attraction? One reason is that it showcases modern technology, an important cornerstone to EPCOT's philosophy. Another reason is that it can fulfill EPCOT's educational aspect; the contestants can learn what makes their battlebot designs stronger or weaker compared to other battlebots. It can also help relieve congestion in the park if built in someplace like the Wonders of Life pavilion.

What do you all think? I welcome all your votes, comments, suggestions, and opinions.

Whether or not it would be a good fit for Epcot thematically, or people would like to see such an attraction, the feasibility of one with actual bots and battles seems very low. If Disney were to pursue any attraction based on Battlebots, it would likely exist entirely within simulations.

1. I doubt there would be sufficient interest.
2. I think you are severely underestimating the time it would take to assemble the robots and still have a dependable outcome. Multiple times per day. It would be a logistical nightmare.
3. It would be too expensive. Never mind the cost of the parts. The payroll for these teams of engineers would be very high.

Have you any actual experience with robotics?

No, I have no actual experience with robotics. As an ordinary person, I would not realize the problems you have listed. Out of curiosity, what would you do to solve those problems? It sounds like you have expertise in robotics.

Just don't know how many people could do this. I would think a real small number people could actually fight some one

Considering I have no idea what a battlebot is, I voted no.

Disney already has their quota for weirdly obscure franchise endorsements with Avatarland. If you're going with outside brands get something good like Universal did with Nintendo. Then they get Mario, Pokemon, Zelda, Metroid, Smash Bros, Yoshi, Kirby, Donkey Kong, Animal Crossing, Fire Emblem and the countless characters from each of those series. Please no more Avatar or battlebot type things for Disney, where the average guest will have to be explained what they are looking at.

I voted yes based on the question because DS11 LOVES battle bots!

However after reading castle and Minnie mum's replies- I agree it is not really feasible, but maybe if it became like a location for high school/middle school robot showcase/battle it could be...just not a daily thing.

Only if they could engineer microbots ala Big Hero 6 and theme it to match the movie. Perfect place to bring back Baymax M&G!

Logistically though, I agree. Too expensive and time consuming. But a cool idea.

I'd rather them put another ride, restaurant or even a store. I'm sick of innoventions, it's just a lame outdated science museum.

If it's a simulated attraction then yes. It wouldn't be all that different from the design your own car feature in Test Track.

The only problem I see is that something like this would fit Epcot's old theme. ;)

If it's a simulated attraction then yes. It wouldn't be all that different from the design your own car feature in Test Track.

The only problem I see is that something like this would fit Epcot's old theme. ;)

A simulated version sounds reasonable. I would still like it.:)

I thought they should hold one of the competitions at EPCOT, but I don't think it would work as a permanent attraction.

However, maybe something similar in Innoventions which goes over the physics of the bots, etc. would be good.

BTW, I LOVE BATTLEBOTS, it's always been a great show...lots of mayhem and destruction, yet no one gets hurt and people learn a lot about science and technology along the way.

Edit: Also, Bill Nye was a part of the first TV series on Comedy Central, so he'd be good for an Innoventions attraction

Don't know much about this sort of thing specifically, but think it could definitely be a good fit within a themed area built around concepts shown in Big Hero 6. That movie could create a great premise for a new area somewhere in Future World built out to be a science fair/show type of thing like was showcased in the movie. In my mind, Epcot was/is supposed to have something of a World's Fair feel to it already, and something showing modern innovations in science (including robotics) is a perfect fit. Baffles me why the powers-that-be have all but abandoned that original idea and are basically leaving Future World to rot away.

Whether actual or virtual bots, there is definitely room (literally and figuratively) in Future World for this idea. If American Idol can last at DHS for as many years as it did (with the idea of having people audition, sit in the audience, etc.), then there's no reason something like this couldn't be figured out with a similar approach. Bots could be designed to break apart without having to throw away the remains every time....and of course, the gift shop that would inevitably be set up at the exit would give you the opportunity to build/buy your own. Are there people who would spend high dollars on this? No doubt. Again, I know exactly jack-squat about fighting robots, but we can't seriously say that Disney Imagineers couldn't pretty easily come up with something along these lines and turn it into an attraction.

Don't know much about this sort of thing specifically, but think it could definitely be a good fit within a themed area built around concepts shown in Big Hero 6. That movie could create a great premise for a new area somewhere in Future World built out to be a science fair/show type of thing like was showcased in the movie. In my mind, Epcot was/is supposed to have something of a World's Fair feel to it already, and something showing modern innovations in science (including robotics) is a perfect fit. Baffles me why the powers-that-be have all but abandoned that original idea and are basically leaving Future World to rot away.

Whether actual or virtual bots, there is definitely room (literally and figuratively) in Future World for this idea. If American Idol can last at DHS for as many years as it did (with the idea of having people audition, sit in the audience, etc.), then there's no reason something like this couldn't be figured out with a similar approach. Bots could be designed to break apart without having to throw away the remains every time....and of course, the gift shop that would inevitably be set up at the exit would give you the opportunity to build/buy your own. Are there people who would spend high dollars on this? No doubt. Again, I know exactly jack-squat about fighting robots, but we can't seriously say that Disney Imagineers couldn't pretty easily come up with something along these lines and turn it into an attraction.

A gift shop with do-it-yourself robot kits? I love it! I'm seeing the essence of EPCOT's original Centorium gift shop revived in this fashion because that store sold home robots (TOMY toy robots at least).

I like the show but I can't see it working as an attraction.It's cool to see the battle bots get torn up by a spinning blade or flung in the air by a pneumatic flipper but basically that's what's cool about it,I can't see how you would recreate that all day,every day to entertain 1000's of park goers.If you asked me it could work as an attraction at the soon to be removed Disneyquest by having some sort of video game fight where you choose a battlebot to go against someone else,may work in that situation but in a theme park with thousands of people there's no way to do something like that.

As I read through this thread, I couldn't help to think how people are looking at this "Suggestion" as only a single type of attraction. As it was originally suggested, that they actually have a "Battle Bot" competition. While it would be cool, I can certainly see some issues with it (many that have already been pointed out). That said, however, when I see "Attraction" I think there are many different types. You could have an "Occasional" one like was originally suggested and maybe couple it with a "Ride" where you become part of the bot. The typical "Mover" used in the rides to take you through a "Battle". At the end you would obviously come out alive and unscathed, but I could see a whole "Theme" that could work. As pointed out also, there could be the "Periodic" Competitions with High Schools scheduled there too.

To those who indicate that it would be too expensive or too time consuming to "Rebuild" the bots each time, I say you are not thinking like an Imagineer. These are engineering challenges that they have to overcome constantly. That's why things tend to be great at Disney. They make the impossible... Possible. I (personally) was thinking that the bots don't actually have to "DAMAGE" each other, rather using technology (lasers, sensors, etc) it can be made to "Perceive" damage and respond accordingly. For example a devastating (looking) hammer hits a bot, a sensor detects it and an actuator pops of a piece of it's "Plating".

Ok, so my geek is showing. The more I think about this, the more I have Ideas about how it "Could" work. Probably my biggest concern about it, is "Ownership". Is Battlebots a "Disney" undertaking? I really don't think it's a good idea for Disney to bring in "Outside" products without having "Ownership" of it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter