Opinions! Does It Still Make Sense To Buy? (Resale)

Carolynleanne

Canadian Disney mom
My husband and I fully intended to buy DVC in the next year or two. Now we're really struggling with the new resale rule of not being able to book into the new Resorts. Maybe we'd never WANT to stay at the new Resorts, but it also brings down the value if we ever wanted to sell ourselves. Throw in the fact that some of the contracts will begin expiring in just over 20 years and booking at 7 months out is getting harder at anything but you're home Resort and I seriously wonder...

Will we continue to go to Disney? 100% yes, but perhaps it's better to just rent?? Thoughts?

The last two of the O14 to expire will be Poly and CCV. People will still want to stay at both. If you really feel an urge to stay at Riviera, Reflections, or Feelings, you can rent your points to get cash out for another stay.

DVC is still going to work as an inflation hedge, and if you pick a home resort you won't be unhappy to be at, this isn't going to be a bad thing. 7 month bookings are already increasingly based on luck or willingness to book 1BRs, and shouldn't be viewed as a major feature of DVC IMO any more - much as it wasn't when people bought BWV or OKW.

The last two of the O14 to expire will be Poly and CCV. People will still want to stay at both. If you really feel an urge to stay at Riviera, Reflections, or Feelings, you can rent your points to get cash out for another stay.

DVC is still going to work as an inflation hedge, and if you pick a home resort you won't be unhappy to be at, this isn't going to be a bad thing. 7 month bookings are already increasingly based on luck or willingness to book 1BRs, and shouldn't be viewed as a major feature of DVC IMO any more - much as it wasn't when people bought BWV or OKW.

We're generally Epcot Resort Area people, but they expire in 2042. I'd be open to other Resorts (like Animal Kingdom) but then worry I'd never get into Beach Club or Board Walk. But like you said, I COULD rent out my points and use that money to rent someone elses? I hadn't thought of that.

We're generally Epcot Resort Area people, but they expire in 2042. I'd be open to other Resorts (like Animal Kingdom) but then worry I'd never get into Beach Club or Board Walk. But like you said, I COULD rent out my points and use that money to rent someone elses? I hadn't thought of that.

BWV and BCV have the least to worry about relative to new resorts and O14. If you want to stay at BWV or BCV, owning there is necessary already, and will only get worse. Their value will be 0 in 2042. But you'll still be ahead of cash pricing or rental pricing.

Exactly. If you could rent out your AKV points to someone directly for $16, you could rent BCV/BWV points from David's for $19. So if you wanted to do that on occasion you'd only be "paying" $3pp.

BWV and BCV have the least to worry about relative to new resorts and O14. If you want to stay at BWV or BCV, owning there is necessary already, and will only get worse. Their value will be 0 in 2042. But you'll still be ahead of cash pricing or rental pricing.

It's where we've always stayed, but to be fair we haven't experienced many of the others. We plan to do some hopping around next trip to experience the theme and feeling of the others.

Exactly. If you could rent out your AKV points to someone directly for $16, you could rent BCV/BWV points from David's for $19. So if you wanted to do that on occasion you'd only be "paying" $3pp.

We have a friend who owns Board Walk, so I'm sure we could get back in there if we wanted to. Beach Club would be trickier.

It's all about the numbers. Consider DVC as a room discount only and don't plan on making any money when you sell. That's what we have done. If you can save more money and want the flexibility of only renting when you want to vacation at Disney and you don't want to deal with DVC management issues and changes, don't buy and just rent.

:earsboy: Bill

IMO I would rather own and vacation in 20+ years at a location I enjoy than at a location that I might dislike or don’t like quite as much.

I say buying DVC resale is still worth it, no matter which decision you end up going with. Arguments can be made both ways. The thing for me is, good enough. Everybody value the resorts differently, but I am just happy to be on-site at Disney, not matter the resort.

So, either way, I am sure you will be happy with whatever decision you decide on. There is really no right or wrong answer here, only you will know at the end what you truly value most. Good luck on your purchase decision.

Great3

We bought BCV when the exchange rate was marginally better - $1.26CAD if I remember correctly (May 2018).

If you want BCV, buy BCV. Honestly though, I wouldn’t be buying at this rate of exchange. What we paid was my upper limit.

I really would buy BCV (it’s our favourite resort too) but with the high cost per point and the limited number of years left, we can’t justify it. We are buying at AKL since we do really like it there and would be happy even if we were “stuck” there and nothing else was available at the 7mo mark. The CDN exchange rate doesn’t bother me as much because we’ve been going annually regardless of the rate.

My husband and I fully intended to buy DVC in the next year or two. Now we're really struggling with the new resale rule of not being able to book into the new Resorts. Maybe we'd never WANT to stay at the new Resorts, but it also brings down the value if we ever wanted to sell ourselves. Throw in the fact that some of the contracts will begin expiring in just over 20 years and booking at 7 months out is getting harder at anything but you're home Resort and I seriously wonder...

Will we continue to go to Disney? 100% yes, but perhaps it's better to just rent?? Thoughts?

I struggled with it as well. Ultimately I made an offer on a resale contract. That was 39 days ago and still not word on ROFR. It seems that Disney continues to devalue resales which actually makes me question purchasing at all. I am in my 50s with no children so was planning to buy a contract and resell in 10-15 years but making resale less attractive makes even a direct contract less valuable to me. The whole waiting game was ok to 30 days but at 39 days this feels excessive and unnecessary.

We bought BCV when the exchange rate was marginally better - $1.26CAD if I remember correctly (May 2018).

If you want BCV, buy BCV. Honestly though, I wouldn’t be buying at this rate of exchange. What we paid was my upper limit.
We bought when the Canadian dollar was above par. Dh says he wouldn’t buy with the dollar where it is. Definitely adds a lot of money to the purchase. At this point I’d only buy resale.

I say buying DVC resale is still worth it, no matter which decision you end up going with. Arguments can be made both ways. The thing for me is, good enough. Everybody value the resorts differently, but I am just happy to be on-site at Disney, not matter the resort.

So, either way, I am sure you will be happy with whatever decision you decide on. There is really no right or wrong answer here, only you will know at the end what you truly value most. Good luck on your purchase decision.

Great3

Thanks! I agree. We've stayed off site and have zero intention of doing that again. We're likely to be happy as long as we're at a Deluxe DVC with a great pool and kitchen.

We bought when the Canadian dollar was above par. Dh says he wouldn’t buy with the dollar where it is. Definitely adds a lot of money to the purchase. At this point I’d only buy resale.

The dollar is the only reason we haven't bought yet. We're hoping it comes up just a tad and then we can jump on it. Maybe when we get a new PM?

It’s been said before, buy where you want to stay. What may occur in the future is unknown. Enjoy the opportunities now. Otherwise you may miss out on the magic!

But if it comes down to not being able to buy at all or buying somewhere more affordable, THEN what? AK is nearly half the price resale as beach club and has a longer deed...

But if it comes down to not being able to buy at all or buying somewhere more affordable, THEN what? AK is nearly half the price resale as beach club and has a longer deed...
We love AK. The longer deed is a big selling factor and it’s once of the nicest dvcs we’ve stayed at. Excellent grand villas. Doesn’t have the bc location, but I’m willing to compromise on that sometimes (not always)! I never feel stuck there.

If your staying in one bedrooms you will probably have an easier time of sleeping around during a lot of the year. Fall Frenzy could be a issue, but other than that, you got a shot.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter