• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Opinions from those who've sailed on the Magic recently...

mrsgthatsme

Mouseketeer
Hi! Just curious as to recent experiences on the Magic.

1) How evident is the age of the ship when compared to the Dream class ships? Is the wow factor much different? Is there a lot of noticeable wear and tear on the Magic? Are staterooms pretty identical other than the virtual porthole on the Dream ships?

2) Is the smoothness of sailing similar between the Classics and Dream class?

3) Have you experienced any of the odor with the plumbing that I have heard mentioned on the Magic?

4)What are your thoughts on the shows?

5) Does the Magic feel noticeably less crowded than the larger ships?

6)On the Magic, are you able to eat at the MDR for embarkation lunch and for breakfasts?

Also, if you sailed out of Miami, would you mind sharing where you stayed the night before?

Thanks so much!

Last edited:

1) How evident is the age of the ship when compared to the Dream class ships? Is the wow factor much different? Is there a lot of noticeable wear and tear on the Magic? Are staterooms pretty identical other than the virtual porthole on the Dream ships?

3) Have you experienced any of the odor with the plumbing that I have heard mentioned on the Magic?

6)On the Magic, are you able to eat at the MDR for embarkation lunch and for breakfasts?

Thanks so much!

Sailed the Magic Nov 2017 and the Dream Mar 2018

1. The Magic is beautiful and well-maintained. I think all the ships have a wow factor, but the Magic does not have the Aquaduck long slide. I prefer the classic ship atriums, some prefer the larger atriums on the Dream class. The staterooms are similar

2. When in calm seas, the ships are very similar.

3. No plumbing issues

4. Tangled is my favorite show on any of the ships, and I enjoy O'Gills becoming the Snuggly Duckling.

5. I think it does feel less crowded, especially on Castaway Cay

6. Yes

I was on the Magic for Christmas 2016, so not super recent, but it was before she went through the drydock and I thought the ship perfect. I was a little nervous before because it was an older ship and I saw no signs of wear and tear. The shows were fantastic, I liked some of them more than the ones on the Dream. I would not hesitate to sail on her again.

We have not sailed the Dream class yet. We sailed the Wonder in August 2016, and the Magic August 2018.

1. We didn't notice any age issues with either ship, but we're not looking closely at every flaw. They are constantly doing cleaning and maintenance on the ships--it's one of those things Disney does to keep their ships in top condition. I find that Disney ships have a Wow factor, no matter the size--just look at the other ships in ports and then look at Disney's ships--the classic lines, etc, are one of the things drawing us to Disney.

2. We had no issues in both Alaska and the Baltic Sea.

3. Stayed deck 2 aft on both cruises, no plumbing issues. I had read the tip on here--if there is an odor in your bathroom, the p-trap in the drain is likely empty--it needs water in it--so pour a couple cups of water down the bathroom floor drains and that will fix the problem. We didnt' need to do it though, no odor!

4. We loved all the shows! Twice Charmed--a twist on the Cinderella story; Tangled--very true to the movie and a fantastic production; Dreams--we saw on the Wonder as well--love it, it is a great last night show! Oh, and Rapunzel's Royal Table restaurant has shows in it! With a 6 nt or longer cruise, the show is split into 2 parts--which is how we saw it--and that seemed the perfect pace to us.

5. No clue. We had close to 2600 guests on our cruise...didn't really notice it until the last day at sea, when everyone just seemed to be out and about. We love the size of the Magic and Wonder...not ready to go to a larger ship yet. It's big enough to have enough stuff to do, but not so large that we're overwhelmed.

6. Yes, Lumiere's does a sit down embarkation lunch w/ menu, as well as sit down breakfasts and lunches during the cruise.

Also, if you sailed out of Miami, would you mind sharing where you stayed the night before?

Thanks so much!

Sailed on a 7-night Med cruise from Civitavecchia (Rome) to Barcelona in late June, and here are my answers:

1) I feel like they have done an awesome job of keeping up the ship so that she does not show her age. The staterooms on the classics ships are slightly larger than the newer ships. And no, Disney Magic does not have the Magic Portholes in the inside cabins, but otherwise the décor is the same as the rest of the fleet.

2) Both ships have the same stabilization system, so any weather or sea state that would impact Disney Magic, would impact the newer ships the same way, otherwise, it is a very smooth ride. (Our 4 Disney Magic cruises were the Med twice, Northern Europe, and British Isles, and our 4 Disney Wonder cruises were Alaska, Baja twice, and Bahamas. In fact, our two Disney Dream and Disney Fantasy cruises in the Eastern and Western Caribbean were more rough than any of the classic cruises.)

3) 4 cruises on Disney Magic (and 4 on Disney Wonder, 2 on Disney Dream, and 2 on Disney Fantasy) and we have never encountered a plumbing odor. But, like anything else in the cabin, if you notice an issue with the plumbing, let your stateroom host(ess) know and they will get it addressed.

4) I really enjoy the shows onboard: Tangled! is tied with Frozen (of which I am not a fan of the movie) for my favorite DCL show. Twice Charmed is really well done, as is Disney Dreams. Also, don't forget that you will get a dinner show (or two is on a 7-night or longer itinerary) in Rapunzel's Royal Table, which includes her coming around to great everyone at their table.

5) Yes, Disney Magic (and Disney Wonder as the other classic ship) does feel much less crowded than the newer ships, even intimate. This is due to the fact when the newer ships were increased in guest count, they did not make the common spaces equally as large to match the percentage of guest increase. If you to Castaway Cay, you will immediately notice the difference in 1500 fewer guests.

6) Yes, Lumiere's is open for embarkation lunch, as well as breakfast and lunch everyday.

Since other people are answering all your questions with the same answer I would give, I am just going to reiterate the answer to the most important question..
#5 Does the Magic feel noticeably less crowded than on the Dream?

A: A resounding YES!!! As a PP stated, the newer ships basically doubled their capacity but did not increase the size of common areas. The family pool is a joke on the Dream. We only sailed the Dream once in 2011, and my kids were 11,12 and 14. Even they complained about how crowded the ship was. They could not enjoy the pool because of it being , quite literally, wall to wall kids.They loved the aqua duck, but ultimately, we were all in agreement that we would stay with the Magic or Wonder. We really did not enjoy that cruise, specifically because of how crowded we felt.

We sailed on the Magic in April, right after drydock and it didn't look at all worn. But I haven't been on the Dream class ships so I can't answer any comparison questions. In Miami we stayed at the Surfcomber. And loved it.

Thanks so much!
1) How evident is the age of the ship when compared to the Dream class ships? Is the wow factor much different? Is there a lot of noticeable wear and tear on the Magic? Are staterooms pretty identical other than the virtual porthole on the Dream ships? I didn't notice much wear and tear at all, maybe a tiny bit more than the Dream, but stateroom seemed much the same.

2) Is the smoothness of sailing similar between the Classics and Dream class? Yes.

3) Have you experienced any of the odor with the plumbing that I have heard mentioned on the Magic? No and I was on Deck 1 which if there's gonna be a problem, I'd imagine it would be down there.

4)What are your thoughts on the shows? Great! Only saw Tangled (awesome) and Junnk (awesome).

5) Does the Magic feel noticeably less crowded than the larger ships? YES. My husband really liked the Magic way better than the Dream for this reason; also much easier to walk around the ship. I like the Magic and Dream equally.

6)On the Magic, are you able to eat at the MDR for embarkation lunch and for breakfasts? Yes, but we didn't.

1. It’s old but well maintained.
2. It all depends on the seas
3. Yes we’ve had plumbing issues, ac issues.
4. Shows are fine.
5. It depends on the cruise and how many kids onboard
6. Yes

Thanks so much!
1. The Magic is beautiful and well-preserved, especially in the public areas. The only wear I noticed on her during our 2016 cruise was a few details in our cabin: a stain on the sofa, a few broken tiles in the bathroom & an old shower curtain.

2. We found it very smooth. Our roughest cruise was on the Fantasy. I think roughness is mostly about itinerary, not ship class.

3. We had slight bathroom odor, but I mean slight. It wasn't bad (just sour, not rank) & it never wafted into the rest of the cabin at all. You could only smell it in the bathroom. We had the same thing on the Wonder, btw. Our Dream & Fantasy bathrooms had no odor at all.

4. We didn't go to the shows on the Magic, but we did find the family game shows to be the most fun there than we've had on any other Disney ship.

5. No, it was the same for us.

6. We could on our cruise in 2016.

Last edited:
Anyone want to weigh in on the kids pool/splash/slide area? We were on the Fantasy, but that area on the Magic looks really nice, bigger slide and everything all together.

Thanks so much!

1) . We just sailed on the Magic in August out of Copenhagen and personally, while I love the Fantasy, I think the smaller ships like the Magic and Wonder are much more intimate. There is some wear and tear but not really noticeable. The staterooms are pretty identical.

2) . The smoothness really depends on the seas, not the ships. I have felt some rocky times as much on the Fantasy and Dream as the Wonder and Magic.

3) . No odor - plumbing seems fine

4). love the shows - thought Tangled was amazing and one of my favorites!!! This past cruise particularly we had great variety acts as well

5). The Magic definitely seems less crowded - never been to Castaway on the Magic, but have on the Wonder and the difference between that and the Fantasy or the Dream is definitely noticeable!!

6). although we never do, just like on the bigger ships, a MDR is open for breakfast and lunch. We just personally like cabanas and find it easier.

Hope that's helpful!!!

https://magicaladventureswithdrmom.com/

The family pool is a joke on the Dream. We only sailed the Dream once in 2011, and my kids were 11,12 and 14. Even they complained about how crowded the ship was. They could not enjoy the pool because of it being , quite literally, wall to wall kids.They loved the aqua duck, but ultimately, we were all in agreement that we would stay with the Magic or Wonder. We really did not enjoy that cruise, specifically because of how crowded we felt.
I disagree. We've sailed on all 4 & all of them have had very crowded family pools when we've sailed. (The Magic family pool was actually the most crowded I ever saw.) The Dream class ships at least have 2 family pools, & they're more spacious, which helps a bit. But they're all kid soup during prime pool hours, all across the fleet.

I think people who find the Magic less crowded with kids are influenced by sailing it via less family-oriented itineraries that are more common on the Magic. For the typical Bahamian itineraries, the Magic is as swamped with kids as the other ships.

Last edited:
Have only sailed the Magic thus far. I would say DCL treats it's ships just like Disney treats WDW. People laugh at me when I say I swim laps on the cruise but in the adult pool on many days I'm able to do short laps. Once because of the rough seas I was able to use it like an endless pool. Very nice. No issue getting a chair at CC. No issue finding seating in Cabanas.

Sailed on the Magic in July 2018

Ship condition: I think it's been maintained very well over the years. Very little visible sign of its age. Some of the Dream-class tech is missing such as mid-ship detective, inside cabin portholes, and kids clubs. But the Magic still has all the style.

Smoothness: We had a very smooth sailing in the Med and around western Europe.

Plumbing: We had an issue in cabin 2074... once or twice there was a sewer type odor in the shower, but running the water for a few seconds solved it... The bigger issue was during the one semi-rough evening when dirty water rose out of the floor drain in the toilet area, flooding the floor. A call to housekeeping and it was quickly fixed and sanitized.

Shows: Dreams is my all-time favorite cruise show. After seeing it so many times, Twice Charmed is fine, but definitely worth a viewing if you've never seen it. Tangled is fantastic, and Flynn Rider stole the show in a big way (not sure if that actor -- really tall guy... like REALLY tall -- is still doing it or for how long). Our only complaint with Tangled was the complete absence of Pascal. The Thugs in both the theater show and the dining room show are great, too.

Crowds: I don't feel more or less crowded on any of the ships.

I think some day, Disney will have to make a choice about either decommissioning the Magic or doing a major technology overhaul. But that day is quite a ways off in my opinion.

I agree with previous posters. We loved the Magic this April and did not feel its age, nor did we have any odor issues. Loved the stage shows. We stayed in Miami precruise at the Doubletree Grand Biscayne Bay.

Anyone want to weigh in on the kids pool/splash/slide area? We were on the Fantasy, but that area on the Magic looks really nice, bigger slide and everything all together.

The splash area isn't visible from the pool/slide area.

The pool is weird, frankly. It has very high sides so it's kind of awkward to watch your kid in it, unless you just perch on the edge. Fortunately they do have a lifeguard, so if your child is pool safe, you can just sit in a nearby chair. Every time our son was in it, he and the other kids just bobbed there watching the movie. They may get more active other times.

Thanks so much!

1. With the Magic being newly renovated, I don’t feel it shows it’s age at all. It is beautifully maintained and has only minor differences than the larger ships. It feels much more classic to me, and while I love sailing on the larger ships I often find I have a better time on the smaller ships. The rooms are pretty much identical in my opinion.

2. Sailing is similar in both to me.

3. I have not experienced said odor personally.

4. I love the shows! Same caliber as the larger ships. Quality entertainment.

5. YES! while the ratio is probably similar for people and size of ship, I feel it is much less crowded on the classic ships. Castaway Cay is awesome on classic ship sailings.

6. I eat as much as I can in MDR, especially breakfast. I rarely ever go to cabanas unless I want something specific. I usually eat lunch in the MDR as well.

When we have sailed out of Miami we stayed at the Intercontinental Miami. It’s across the bay from the port (great view of the ships in the morning!). It was convenient for dinner and activities within walking distance the night before. Also on the morning before embarkation it was nice for a short run along the parks and the bay before showering and heading to the ship!

Thanks so much!

We sailed on the Magic in August - the 10nt Norway/Iceland/Scotland itinerary.

1) It looked great to me. We had a cat 4 on the Dream and a cat 5 on the Magic, so it was smaller by design, but I actually think the Magic's cat 5s are plenty large (and larger than the Dream's).

2) It was remarkably smooth except for one evening (but then, we were sailing in the North Sea).

3) No odor whatsoever, and I'm really sensitive to these things.

4) Shows were great.

5) YES. It was so much better in this regard.

6) Yes, we did both. You can also have lunch in the MDR if you want to.

The splash area isn't visible from the pool/slide area.

The pool is weird, frankly. It has very high sides so it's kind of awkward to watch your kid in it, unless you just perch on the edge. Fortunately they do have a lifeguard, so if your child is pool safe, you can just sit in a nearby chair. Every time our son was in it, he and the other kids just bobbed there watching the movie. They may get more active other times.

I agree with this description. I much prefer the layout of the pool deck on the Dream and Fantasy. The last time we were on the Fantasy, DD was too little for the family pool, but it can't be stranger than the Magic/Wonder. The slide is pretty fun though.

As a ship, the Magic is beautiful. However, I was really disappointed in some non-physical aspects. Darren is a terrible cruise director and he is often on the Magic. Also, because they do MDAS, the number of characters is really limited. Only princesses and Fab 5 have been available. We are sailing on the Magic again in March, but I won't be surprised if we try to avoid it in the future. For being a flagship, Disney is working hard to remove all the special Disney magic from it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter