• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Opposite problem from most: Parents WON'T cancel out!!

They don't seem to have a clue just how much walking there will be and he doesn't want to rent an ECV. I think my mom wants to go so badly that she is in denial about the whole thing.

The hardest thing about dealing with disability is when everyone else has opinion whatsomeone can and can not do. I know. I've endured that all my life (been a rhematoid arthritis patient since I was 2).

The best you can do is have that talk about the distances and concern that your ST will be overdoing it. He wouldn't want to aggravate the knee enough to have swelling and have to postpone his surgery. On the otherhand, canceling a trip just because he's having surgery is a demoralizing experience. Whatever you do, don't go canceling the trip out from underneath him. You'll be overreacting to such a degree you'll make him feel like a burden and failure.The most hurt I ever endured was when people would exclude me from an outing or changed an outing because they believed I couldn't do it. Somehow that made my arthritis worthy of more consideration than the person inside me.

Keep in mind the one who knows best what your SD can tolerate is your SD. It's his body. Sometimes one can endure pain and stiffness if it means they can enjoy family and fun too. I wouldn't trade all my overdoing sessions for the times spent carousing with friends and family. Of course, I also don't have any problems accepting the help of power wheelchairs now. They allow me to have my cake and eat it too... i.e. wake up sore as the Tin Man and yet go running all around.

A scooter will allow your SD to have it both ways.
If it helps him get around the feeling of helplessness tell him the story of my dad. He's 75, walks several miles a day for exercise but has had triple bypass and arthritis in the knees. A couple years ago we were planning a group famly trip with 16 people, half under 10. So we convinced him to try a scooter. He loved it and now swears by it. Disney is the only place he uses one. Though he could walk, he finds he enjoys his days better with an ECV. It's his own personal ride and gives him a place to sit anywhere he happens to stop. He even dressed the thing up for Halloween one year and made it his trooped out vehicle.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter