Optimistic October, 2022 W.I.S.H. Thread

Summer2018

DIS Veteran
31E9FC80-E58C-413D-B1CC-9B761EDDA0AB.jpeg
We're here to support each other with kindness as we each work on becoming or staying healthy during these trying times. Everyone is invited, and we're looking forward to catching up with regulars and welcoming newcomers. So, hop aboard and post your personal goals.

We have weekly volunteer hosts and typically follow a Monday-Sunday format:

MOTIVATION MONDAY
TOPIC TUESDAY
WOOHOO WEDNESDAY
THANKFUL THURSDAY
FREE FOR ALL FRIDAY
SOCIAL SATURDAY

SELF-CARE SUNDAY

October 2-8 Summer 2018
October 9-15 PAsFab5
October 16-22 PollyannaMom
October 23-29

Last edited:
Intro:
I'm Summer, 57…turning 58 on October 5th.
I live in coastal Connecticut, an hour outside NYC.
Living with...DH 63 & DD 24.
Kindergarten Teacher in an inner city public school.
Favorite place...Seashore.
Hobbies...Art, swimming, reading, singing.

October 2022 Goals...Stay on track and lose weight using NOOM, 26 down, 56 to go; walk & swim daily; forgive my missteps, learn from my mistakes, be flexible, practice self-care, and handle stress better; keep my eye on the prize; and BELIEVE IN MYSELF!

Piggy-backing on Summer's intro form:

I'm Nicole, 51…turning 52 on October 10th.
I live in southeastern Massachusetts, less than an hour outside Boston.
Living with...DH, 51 & two spoiled cats. (DS, soon to be 22, is in Maine.)
Have been...a mutual fund banker, a SAHM, an Usborne book rep., a substitute teacher, and a private tutor.
Currently a "senior college" student (taking a political history and an art history class right now.)
Favorite Places - the Finger Lakes region of New York (where I grew up) and, of course, Disney World!
Hobbies...Reading and crafty stuff.
October 2022 Goals...Keep off a recent small weight loss, walk daily, cook more creatively, and try not to worry about things not in my control!

PS - I can take the third week.

I'm Shannon-39
I live in good old RI. Where is not important as you can go coast to coast in 45 minutes
Living with DH, DS10, DS7 and DD
Senior Business Analyst for a bank
Favorite Places --NY, WDW, St. Thomas
Hobbies--trying to get back into some hobbies now that the kids are getting older. Been reading a bit more so let's go with that.
October 2022 Goals--return to my practice of mindful eating and getting out for at least 2 walks a week

I'm Danielle 38 and turning 39 this month!!
I live in central PA
Living with-DH, DD our 3 dogs, a foster dog and DDs assorted reptiles
Favorite place-the beach and WDW
Hobbies-Dogs! We spend a lot of time at the SPCA volunteering
October 2022 Goals-keep losing at the slow but steady pace I have been, get out for a walk everyday while the weather is still good!

I'm Linda, an empty nester from the Pacific Northwest. I work in the office of an elementary school. I love beaches and mountains. No real hobbies--I'm very boring. :rotfl2:I reached a new decade today on the scale so hope to stay in it and not creep back up like I did earlier! We're going to WDW over winter break so I want to make sure I am getting lots of steps in before then. Today DH and I went for a walk alongside a river. It was lovely.

Completed a couple tasks today! Did our annual pre-Christmas toy box clean out. Said to DH remember this when the week before Christmas you ask if we got enough...yes we did less is more! I always preach quality over quantity and every year he seems to miss this! Also ordered our Christmas cards, vacation photo book and a few family Christmas gifts. Shutterfly doesn't stack coupons well and don't even get me going on shipping costs. But I like their storage...maybe I'll switch to walgreens photobooks in the future but not this year.
Plan on eating some dark chocolate later. Thanks to the dark chocolate pb cups in my fridge, I went on a candy buying binge after seeing my dad Friday (he was having a bad day) BUT I put most of the candy in the freezer so if I want any I take out one or two pieces early in the day to thaw and if I still want them in a few hours than that means my body (or brain) is really craving them so it's ok/not just a passing thought.
Thankful (missed most days last week) for DD's teachers. They are filling out paperwork for an augmented speech device as she currently has language but no (or super limited) speech. I also ordered some into ASL books so between the two I am hoping she will be able to get out the thoughts and ideas that are currently frustrating her.

Teachers! I am thinking introducing 3 signs at a time. She already learned want. I am thinking HELP and maybe TOILET but what else should I introduce right away? TIRED? HURT? She communicates hungry/thirsty on her own pretty easily.

Last edited:
Happy Sunday! Did a few things off the self care list! Exercise (yoga) play with dogs (obviously) hugged someone (went to see DS at work for his 21st birthday today!!!) took him a plate of chocolate chip cookies.

Also went to church and finished a bunch of household tasks.

@ShannyMcB good for you on getting a head start on Christmas!!! Keep us updated on DD, I am interested to follow her journey!

Everyone have a great night!

I have never had a very good mind-body relationship. I was thin for the first 30 years of my life, but I definitely dieted a lot on and off. Once I had to take fertility drugs and then hormones to maintain my pregnancy, I never got thin again. My metabolism as a young woman plus aerobics allowed me to eat whatever I wanted, but it all caught up with me after having my DD.

I was never athletic, and it made me love my body less. I could dance and swim, but I felt inadequate because I wasn’t sporty. Looking back, I see how I never appreciated my body, and as a result, I mistreated it.

This is my only body…my only life…and it’s about time I start loving it and treating with love and respect.

That starts today.

Completed a couple tasks today! Did our annual pre-Christmas toy box clean out. Said to DH remember this when the week before Christmas you ask if we got enough...yes we did less is more! I always preach quality over quantity and every year he seems to miss this! Also ordered our Christmas cards, vacation photo book and a few family Christmas gifts. Shutterfly doesn't stack coupons well and don't even get me going on shipping costs. But I like their storage...maybe I'll switch to walgreens photobooks in the future but not this year.
Plan on eating some dark chocolate later. Thanks to the dark chocolate pb cups in my fridge, I went on a candy buying binge after seeing my dad Friday (he was having a bad day) BUT I put most of the candy in the freezer so if I want any I take out one or two pieces early in the day to thaw and if I still want them in a few hours than that means my body (or brain) is really craving them so it's ok/not just a passing thought.
Thankful (missed most days last week) for DD's teachers. They are filling out paperwork for an augmented speech device as she currently has language but no (or super limited) speech. I also ordered some into ASL books so between the two I am hoping she will be able to get out the thoughts and ideas that are currently frustrating her.

Teachers! I am thinking introducing 3 signs at a time. She already learned want. I am thinking HELP and maybe TOILET but what else should I introduce right away? TIRED? HURT? She communicates hungry/thirsty on her own pretty easily.
I would suggest, “No,” “Yes,” “All done,” and “More.”

I don't have a lot of experience, but I think the easiest signs to teach are generally concrete nouns - things you can point to and immediately associate with the sign - cat, ball, whatever the child is interested in.

But if hearing isn't the problem, and she already has the receptive language for more complex words, I can definitely see beginning with the most useful concepts that she would want to communicate. - I think the words Summer suggested and the ones you originally listed are perfect!

The pace will kind of be up to her. If she enjoys it, she'll want to be able to ask you what the sign for something is, so I might try to add the sign for "sign" -

Catching up...

Hello, I'm Lizanne a single lady living in Seattle Washington with my two very naughty Kitties. Favorite places, the Ft Warden beach at Port Townsend and the Willapa Bay side of the Long Beach peninsula... and I'll be visiting both this month!

Goals for October:
* I haven't managed to lose much pre-WDW weight yet so I'll try for a few more pounds, but mostly it is about feeling better. * For mental health I need to change a few things at work, I'm just not busy enough and I need more stimulation to stay engaged... I'll be talking to my manager about this Monday.
* For physical health I need to be walking and will for sure get started after I get adjusted Tuesday, I've somehow skipped going for over a month and am totally out of alignment.
* I have PTO the third week of the month, when I'll be going up to Port Townsend for a week long crafting retreat. I'm really looking forward to it and am going with the intent of finding some new friends.

And how can October start without a little Anne in our hearts:

1664761651301.png

Motivation this week... taking care of myself.

For physical health I've got a chiropractic appointment and the first Rolfing appointment. For mental health I've got a Crowdcast conference call with my favorite author Katherine May Saturday morning.

In between I'll keep plugging away at the last bits of junk clearing and organizing, doing my yoga and after my chiro adjustment getting out to walk.

Happy Monday!!

Love this quote to start the week-great reminder!

I have always been short and wide. Gain weight quickly, would crash diet and lose it, gain it all back plus some.

Seeing my parents health issues starting about 5 years ago woke me up. I literally felt like a ticking bomb landed in my lap and it had a note on it that said-you want to start suffering like your parents are?????

I joined WW and started walking on my lunch breaks. I learned how to eat healthy and I stuck to it. During the start of covid I started a 12 week workout program on YouTube using only hand weight and/or body weight and have been working out, at home with YouTube, 4xs a week since then.

I am not thin by anyones standards, I never will be and I had to accept that. I am doing my best and I feel healthy and I hope to be able to keep this up. Everyday you can move your body and have healthy food choices is a blessing.

Topic Tuesday
B844DAF8-0CF8-4ABC-854B-9ED494E25FCC.jpeg
Eat like you love yourself…

I tried this today, and I am happy with the results. I ate less calories. I didn’t make excuses why I couldn’t make my vegetable/fruit smoothie after school. I took the time before my doctor’s appointment to wash and cut the vegetables and blended it in the Nutribullet, then I drank it instead of grabbing a quick less healthy snack. I ate healthy portions instead of eating mindlessly.

I’m going to try this again tomorrow. I am going to eat like I love myself.

I agree this is a lovely way to frame healthy eating... I'll give it a try.

I was thinking I would be done with my Invisalign prior to my WDW trip, but alas no. I had my Orthodontic appt this morning and I'll be in passive retainers for six weeks then into the last series of adjustment trays. Dang it. It is time to book ADRs but I really haven't thought about what I want to do... need to get that thought thru!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter