Option for Family of Five?

lhermiston

Beer-powered running machine
Hey all, I have a question about room options for a family of five and I'm hoping some of you can help out...

I'm planning a trip to WDW for January 2019 (marathon weekend). This will be our first trip as a family of five, which means our normal hotel plans are out the window.

Our party is myself, my wife, our twins (who will be 12 and can share a bed) and my youngest (who will be 4). In the past we've stayed at Pop Century (x2) and POR.

I've looked at room options in our price range and there's not a whole lot to my liking. We want to stay on property (I'll be doing the marathon, so transportation to/from the parks, as well as the expo and the race are a must. Plus, we want to do the dining plan). It seems like we could do a POR room with the two beds and pop-out bed. A suite at AoA is an option, but a little pricey for my tastes.

What I'm wondering - and this is where all of you experts come in - if it's an option for me to book a room at one of the all stars or Pop for myself and for my wife to book a room for herself and the kids at Pop and we just do it that way? Maybe when we check in we request the rooms be close to each other? All other costs - meal plan, park tickets, etc. - would remain the same, right?

So, just curious if that's an option, if anyone has done it and how it has worked out? I don't think any of the rooms are adjoining at the all star resorts right? Open to other suggestions, as well.

Thanks a bunch!

What I'm wondering - and this is where all of you experts come in - if it's an option for me to book a room at one of the all stars or Pop for myself and for my wife to book a room for herself and the kids at Pop and we just do it that way? Maybe when we check in we request the rooms be close to each other? All other costs - meal plan, park tickets, etc. - would remain the same, right?

So, just curious if that's an option, if anyone has done it and how it has worked out? I don't think any of the rooms are adjoining at the all star resorts right? Open to other suggestions, as well.

Thanks a bunch!

Sure, you can book two rooms for your family. If you want the meal plan and tickets, you can each book each room as package.

A word on terminology....in hotel-reservation-speak, adjoining simply means that the two rooms will be near each other. Might be right next door, or across the hall, or down the hall, and so forth. If you want two rooms with an internal door between them, so you can pass through from one room to another without going out into the hallway, then you need to request connecting rooms.

Either way, connecting or adjoining, it's a request. There's no way to guarantee that you'll get either, though they do try to grant requests, and it helps if you call and ask them to link the two reservation numbers together.

Sure, you can book two rooms for your family. If you want the meal plan and tickets, you can each book each room as package.

A word on terminology....in hotel-reservation-speak, adjoining simply means that the two rooms will be near each other. Might be right next door, or across the hall, or down the hall, and so forth. If you want two rooms with an internal door between them, so you can pass through from one room to another without going out into the hallway, then you need to request connecting rooms.

Either way, connecting or adjoining, it's a request. There's no way to guarantee that you'll get either, though they do try to grant requests, and it helps if you call and ask them to link the two reservation numbers together.

Thank you for the crash course in terminology! Like I said, this is my first time booking for a family of five, so I'm in uncharted territory! Do you know which resorts have connecting rooms?

We are a family of 5 and booked 2 rooms at pop with dining plan on our last trip. It was awesome! 2 bathrooms definitely help a lot when trying to get out the door in the morning. We only paid a coupe of hundred more for the whole week for 2 rooms at pop than 1 room at POR. Definitely worth it!

You can book 2 rooms and call and have a "traveling with" number linking them together. Then you can fax a request for connecting rooms,

When you book 2 rooms you dont have to have the same package on both rooms. I currently have a reservation under the free dining promo with 2 day park hoppers for 4 people in one room and a room only for 1 person in the other room. We eat rather lightly so we can split our meal credits from the one room to cover all 5 of us.

Thank you for the crash course in terminology! Like I said, this is my first time booking for a family of five, so I'm in uncharted territory! Do you know which resorts have connecting rooms?

I'm pretty sure all of the on-site hotels have connecting rooms.

We have done that several times at All Star Movies and had connecting rooms. One of the rooms was two doubles and the other was a king. We just kept the doors open and we had lots of space and best of all, two bathrooms!!

All of the Disney resorts do.

Well, the "deluxe villa" category of resorts are bit different. They're timeshares, and are made up of studios, one, two and sometimes three bedroom villas. In that category, the only resort where you can request a connecting room would be the Polynesian Villas, some of their studios connect.

But, anything in the value, moderate or deluxe category will have some rooms that connect.

Another option for you is the family suites. ASMu each child could have their own sleep surface. AoA the twins would still have to share. You'll have the 2 bathrooms plus a kitchenette. They'll be more $$ than 2 value rooms, but then you are at least guaranteed to be together where with 2 rooms, you have a chance of being away from each other.

We are a family of six and are going to marathon weekend 2018. We will be staying at a cabin at fort wilderness. Yes, it is a little more expensive than two rooms at a value, but we will have a kitchen which can make pre-race breakfasts easier!

we r going down with my parents over july 4th week and we r hoping for connecting rooms. Do u have to call them and link the two reservations together or do we wait and fax over a request??

we r going down with my parents over july 4th week and we r hoping for connecting rooms. Do u have to call them and link the two reservations together or do we wait and fax over a request??
Both families will need to add "traveling with" and the other family's reservation number to their reservation. That is the best way to get close to each other. If you made your reservation through the Disney Reservation Center, just call them. Don't bother with faxes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter