• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Optional Dressup

kmix78

Mouseketeer
Hi- does every cruise/itinerary have AT LEAST an optional dress up night? We are going on a 5-night night week, and I know we won’t have a formal night. We still want to dress up one of the nights so we can get some fun photos (not formal gowns, but snazzy outfits and heels)... but my daughter thinks we will be the only ones. Any thoughts?

On every cruise you will find people that enjoy dressing up! If you want to dress up on a certain day do it. You will see others dressed up as well and you will see people in shorts every night. I enjoy getting dressed up while cruising. IMO you can never really be too dressed up!

MJ

You should have one on a 5-night cruise. But bring the outfits regardless, it isn't likely you will find yourselves as the most dressed people even on a "cruise casual" night.

Awesome guys, thanks!!
I can’t wait until this cruise. It’s only a 5-day, and we’ve only done 7-days previously, so I’m not sure what to really expect.

Hi- does every cruise/itinerary have AT LEAST an optional dress up night? We are going on a 5-night night week, and I know we won’t have a formal night. We still want to dress up one of the nights so we can get some fun photos (not formal gowns, but snazzy outfits and heels)... but my daughter thinks we will be the only ones. Any thoughts?
We were on a 3-night Dream cruise last week and there was an optional dress-up night. We like them, as well. My son likes to wear his suit: he wears it at formal night on our annual cruise and at his grade-level graduation each year. I didn't pay much attention to how others were dressed, but didn't notice a lot of other people dressed up. Even on our 7-night on the Fantasy, plenty of people didn't dress for formal night, unfortunately. We didn't feel weird or out of place being dressed-up, though.

Last edited:
My wife and I dress for dinner every night, regardless if its the semi- or formal nights. I wear a tux on formal night and to Remy while she wears a gown. I makes every night a date night!

Dress up if you want. Some people dress up every night, not just the formal night. We did a 5-day last summer and I would say at least half were dressed up like a formal night. It's not as widespread as formal night, but still a lot of people enjoy the occasion to dress nice.

You are never too old to dress how you feel comfortable.
DW and I dress up every night of our cruises for ourselves and we have gotten many positive responses including:
I wish I had brought my prom, bridesmaid, etc gown.
I wish I had thought to dress up a little as I do not get to do so at home.
You two look so good all dolled up, I think it is nice.

Many times during our eight DCL cruises we saw folks celebrating birthdays, anniversaries, etc. during dinner by dressing up. Sometimes they just want a formal photo with Pluto or Minnie...it seems random. It is your vacation and, with very few restrictions, DCL lets you enjoy it in any attire you want. Pirate night is another chance to dress up with as little or much as you wish. I have seen some guests dressed like they just got off the "Pirates of the Caribbean" movie set...awesome!! Some people just wear a bandana and eye patch. Whatever floats your boat....

IMHO it is very hard to overdress on a cruise.
It is much easier to under dress. We had a couple 2 tables over on our cruise on the Magic who wore sweat suits every night to dinner, even on formal nights.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter