• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Options for Airport Departure

Corey127

Mouseketeer
We want to catch the 2pm parade at MK, then immediately head to our hotel (Wilderness Lodge), pick up our luggage (flying Spirit so cant use RAC), then get to the airport for a 6:50 pm flight.

What options are there to possibly do this?
We do not want to rent a car, and would need a service that can fit 2 adults, and two children-one in a carseat and one in a booster (I'll have both with me), all our luggage and an umbrella stroller.

Not sure if this is even feasible with the time crunch of catching our flight.

I’m getting anxious just thinking about this.

Does that parade start at Main Street? If so, and if you’re there at the start of the parade, then immediately head our to the boat, then maybe. Maybe.

Then a towncar service should work out.

Dme would be picking you up around 3:50 for that. I would be getting antsy for that.

How are you getting to the resort from the airport? I assume a car service there since you’re bringing the carseat and booster, especially the booster (since boosters cannot be used on the plane)...

(I am a seasoned traveler AND one that is not interested in missing my flight by accident AND one that would really not want to miss it with children in tow. We once nearly missed a flight out of lax and my then-little son remembered it and was stressed out about it for literal years. I reverse engineer our travel days and pad time for every aspect of traveling. I didn’t do that for the lax flight and only a delayed flight at the last minute saved us!)

I’m getting anxious just thinking about this.

Does that parade start at Main Street? If so, and if you’re there at the start of the parade, then immediately head our to the boat, then maybe. Maybe.

It starts in Frontier Land.

Then a towncar service should work out.

Dme would be picking you up around 3:50 for that. I would be getting antsy for that.
I don't think we have any chance of making it if we use DME to get to the airport.

How are you getting to the resort from the airport? I assume a car service there since you’re bringing the carseat and booster, especially the booster (since boosters cannot be used on the plane)...
We are using DME to get to our resort from the airport. The booster is a bubble bum travel one and the carseat will be used on the plane, but not on DME.

(I am a seasoned traveler AND one that is not interested in missing my flight by accident AND one that would really not want to miss it with children in tow. We once nearly missed a flight out of lax and my then-little son remembered it and was stressed out about it for literal years. I reverse engineer our travel days and pad time for every aspect of traveling. I didn’t do that for the lax flight and only a delayed flight at the last minute saved us!)

I'm super nervous and we may not attempt this, but I'm trying to see if it is possible.

We want to catch the 2pm parade at MK, then immediately head to our hotel (Wilderness Lodge), pick up our luggage (flying Spirit so cant use RAC), then get to the airport for a 6:50 pm flight.

What options are there to possibly do this?
We do not want to rent a car, and would need a service that can fit 2 adults, and two children-one in a carseat and one in a booster (I'll have both with me), all our luggage and an umbrella stroller.

Not sure if this is even feasible with the time crunch of catching our flight.

Is there a reason why you wouldn't just use Magical Express? A 6:50 flight would have a pickup around 3:45. I think that watching the parade at 2, then heading directly back to WL and getting on the ME by 3:30 or so wouldn't be an issue.

I would try for the DME first.

If you miss that, take Uber from WL to MCO. If you have 2 kids, kid seats/boosters, and the luggage you mentioned, I would request Uber XL. That would cost roughly $45 to MCO, not including tip.

MinnieVan to the airport? Isn't that $150?

I don't know the exact price, but yes, its in that ballpark.

The OP asked for options, he didn't specify his budget. Minnie van would be big enough for strollers, luggage, and car seats as specified. Uber wouldn't be big enough.

Minnie van would be big enough for strollers, luggage, and car seats as specified. Uber wouldn't be big enough.
That is simply incorrect.

MinnieVan is a Chevy Traverse crossover. Uber XL is the same size as the MinnieVan or larger. UberXL (and Lyft Plus) are minivans or SUVs that carry the driver plus up to 6 passengers. My UberXL vehicle is the same GM platform vehicle as the MinnieVan, but much nicer (Buick vs Chevy) -- same capacity.

And some Uber/Lyft vehicles are larger -- think Suburban, GMC Yukon or Cadillac Escalade extended models.

That is simply incorrect.

MinnieVan is a Chevy Traverse crossover. Uber XL is the same size as the MinnieVan or larger. UberXL (and Lyft Plus) are minivans or SUVs that carry the driver plus up to 6 passengers. My UberXL vehicle is the same GM platform vehicle as the MinnieVan, but much nicer (Buick vs Chevy) -- same capacity.

And some Uber/Lyft vehicles are larger -- think Suburban, GMC Yukon or Cadillac Escalade extended models.

I thought you weren't allowed to provide your own car seat in an Uber?

The parade is what, about 15 minutes long? Even if you catch the beginning in Frontierland, you leave there at 2:15. By the time you get to the front of MK (keep in mind, you'd have to fight the crowds on main street waiting for the parade... I suggest cutting through the shops), it's 2:30. Then it's a toss up between bus or boat to WL. Assume a 20 minute wait and a 20 minute ride. You're at WL ~3:15. I think you uber and as long as you leave WL by 4, you're at MCO by 4:45, two hours before your flight. That would be acceptable to me.

I think it's stressful but doable.

The parade is what, about 15 minutes long? Even if you catch the beginning in Frontierland, you leave there at 2:15. By the time you get to the front of MK (keep in mind, you'd have to fight the crowds on main street waiting for the parade... I suggest cutting through the shops), it's 2:30. Then it's a toss up between bus or boat to WL. Assume a 20 minute wait and a 20 minute ride. You're at WL ~3:15. I think you uber and as long as you leave WL by 4, you're at MCO by 4:45, two hours before your flight. That would be acceptable to me.

I think it's stressful but doable.
This. Yes, it's doable. But, yes, could be very stressful. You would have to catch the parade where it starts, right beside Pecos Bills, on the street. Then, turn around and walk out past PoC, turn towards Crystal Palace, and into Casey's, and through the Emporium. But, here's the issue.....you're going to have to get across the street at some point. You could watch from in front of Splash Mt. then walk along the waterside walkway, through Liberty Sq, by the Liberty Belle area, past Peter Pan's Flight and down past the Castle on the left, through the huge crowds in the hub, and through the shops along the Plaza side of the street. Phew.
I would go with Uber...that will give you more than 30 extra mins to use.

We've used Tony Hinds before, who is often recommended on the boards. Google him and you'll find his web site. He has a 10 passenger van that can accommodate all of you and all of your stuff, and you can schedule him for a specific time. If you're running late, he will likely wait for you while you grab your things at the resort. He's great to work with, and prices are on par with other car service companies to the airport.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter