Ordering from Kids or Allergy Menus

Lesley Wake

DIS Veteran
Is it ok to order from the allergy menu even if you don't have dietary issues? I was looking at the Wish menus and realized they have some unique dishes on the allergy menus that I'm more interested in than the regular adult menu. Also a couple of the kids desserts look good to me! I just don't know if they have limited stock of those and it would be a problem to "take" from someone who needs it?

I don’t see why not. Those needing food prepared especially for their allergies will already have spoken to the serving team/chef. The items on the menus should be good for everyone.

I’m guessing they plan on the appropriate amount of guests for each item after a while. Sometimes the best thing on the menu is the healthiest choice (don’t tell my husband I said that)

They're more than happy to accommodate you. If something looks good, ask the waiter and order it. And enjoy! They have more than enough food to go around. As someone with food allergies, I have no problem. If somebody else wants to order off an allergy menu. I can totally find something to eat. The allergy menu just helps me narrow it down.

I’m so glad you asked this question. When I was browsing the allergy menu, there are a few times I know there are items on there that my kids will prefer. There’s some good looking food on them.

I don't see why you couldn't order from the allergy menu, but you might need to explain to your serving team that it's just because the item is more appealing than what's on the regular menu. Otherwise they may be concerned about serving you from the regular menu.

About 4 years ago, I developed a wheat allergy suddenly. Not celiac, but I broke out in a strange rash and had headaches. A dermatologist diagnosed it and going gluten free cleared up all my symptoms. For about 2 years, I was strictly gluten free. We cruised during that time and I had my allergy noted on my DCL account. Then after a couple years, I discovered 1) my allergy was to wheat specifically and not gluten in general, and 2) I could indulge in small amounts of wheat without reacting. As long as I am mostly wheat free, I can indulge in some of my favorites, like the pasta pursettes in Animators. So I didn't ask for my allergy to be noted on my reservation anymore. However, it continues to follow me. Every cruise, my servers ask about it and steer me towards the allergy menu. I understand they don't want to serve me things I might be allergic to. So I explain that I can guage how much I can and can't have. That means I'll order GF sometimes but other times I won't, and they don't need to worry about it. Just sharing so you'll be aware that your servers may express concern if you order from the allergy menu sometimes and not others.

Yeah, be careful to specify you don't actually have an allergy - my experience is they take those really seriously. My mom has what I'll call a walnut intolerance -- they irritate her mouth but it's not like a rogue walnut will cause her a severe health issue. On our first cruise we noted the walnut allergy, and she about got in a fight with the server over trying to order a cheesecake that had walnut in the crust (her intention was to just not eat the crust). We stopped listing the allergy after that...

My wife often orders from the kid's menu. I'll have to remember that the allergy menu is another option for her to look at on our next cruise. We'll make sure to tell our servers that it's just for the choice and not because of an allergy.

Yeah, be careful to specify you don't actually have an allergy - my experience is they take those really seriously. My mom has what I'll call a walnut intolerance -- they irritate her mouth but it's not like a rogue walnut will cause her a severe health issue. On our first cruise we noted the walnut allergy, and she about got in a fight with the server over trying to order a cheesecake that had walnut in the crust (her intention was to just not eat the crust). We stopped listing the allergy after that...
I second (or third) this. On our last DCL cruise my friend mentioned a gluten intolerance-not Celiac, but if she eats any she'll have GI issues. Our servers would not let her order something with gluten in it, even if she told them it was okay (for her, getting to try some thing was worth the short-term GI issues since they weren't that severe). But they wouldn't budge; once it was listed in the system as an allergy they couldn't serve her anything with gluten. So we would just order what she wanted and then share it with her when the serving team wasn't looking, lol).

I get it, they want to be super aware of food allergies and it's probably a liability thing. While she was bummed she wasn't mad at them for being so diligent and we found a way around it. Lesson learned that unless it's a true allergy/restriction where you don't ever want to come into contact with that food, best to not bring it up as a restriction to your serving team, otherwise they will never let you have any of it on the cruise. (If I recall correctly, it gets flagged to the stateroom so when we went to Palo the allergy was already 'flagged' there for her as well).

Please be aware that ordering from the Allergy menu "because it sounds good" could leave a person with an allergy less choices of food they can safely eat. Supply chain issues have made it hard for those substitute ingredients to be stocked. There was a thread earlier this year from someone who found the allergy-friendly options dwindled as the cruise went on because the ship wasn't able to re-supply. Maybe ask if they can make that dish without the allergen substitute (usual flour, etc.).

And yes, DCL's system doesn't differentiate food "intolerances" vs true "allergy." It will be noted to the passenger's profile and they will refuse to serve any food with that ingredient. I've learned to manage such things on my own without having it noted. If the passenger is a child, the note follows them to the kids clubs as well (not an issue right now since food isn't being served there).

I have ordered off the kids menu many times. I love some of their deserts and the servers always accommodate me.

I love ordering from the kids menu. I am a big soup and plain salad fan especially when eating so much rich food. I love the corn chowder. There are some great options for the Wish that I plan to try, including desserts.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter