Ordering groceries?

olliesmom

Mouseketeer
Has anyone found that any of the Garden Grocer alternatives (e.g., Amazon, Walmart) for grocery delivery are available to Canadians? We are Amazon Prime members but I can't figure out a way to have a shipment delivered on the US site. We will use Garden Grocer if necessary but would love to get Amazon/Walmart prices on the diapers, wipes and formula we'll be ordering!

I believe you would also need an Amazon.com Prime membership to enable this. The Prime memberships are specific to each country.

I used Instacart on my May trip and it worked out great! Would definitely use them again.

I am also planning on using Instacart in Dec. I used Garden Grocer last Xmas but they are so expensive and I think there are better alternatives. Unfortunately, you cannot use Amazon Prime in the US even you have a Prime account in Canada.

Thanks! I am now working on an Instacart order and have approximately $100 of Publix bakery items in my cart. :laughing:

Does Instacart deliver directly to your room or do they leave the order with bell services?

I couldn't say if Instacart would deliver to your room if you were already checked in.

Originally I was going to meet the driver in the lobby when we arrived at the hotel but our flight was delayed so he left it with bell services.

Has anyone ever just taken an Uber or Lyft to Publix instead of ordering food delivery? I’m debating if we should try Instacart or not... this is our first trip without a rental car. We usually like to buy fresh fruit, salads and wraps to keep in our resort room... along with a 6 pack or two of beer.

Since it’s just two of us & no kids, I wonder if it would be easier to just pick up our own groceries?

Has anyone ever just taken an Uber or Lyft to Publix instead of ordering food delivery? I’m debating if we should try Instacart or not... this is our first trip without a rental car. We usually like to buy fresh fruit, salads and wraps to keep in our resort room... along with a 6 pack or two of beer.

Since it’s just two of us & no kids, I wonder if it would be easier to just pick up our own groceries?
If you're not going to need many groceries i would suggest going to one of the DVC resorts and hitting up their store because they are better stocked with food. You will probably come out to the same amount using a delivery service or paying to get to a store and you won't need to leave the property. HECK, even the ALLStar resorts have everything you mentioned

We used Instacart with a Publix order in April and it was fine, though my coupon code got screwed up and they refused to honour it. The food however was ready and waiting in our room when we arrived, including all items in the mini fridge! It was a great experience for us at Pop Century.

We tried Instacart in August. We always get groceries, always rent a car for 24 hours and purchase at Publix. It's a bit time-consuming, but it works well for us. Well we decided we would pay the extra and have someone else do it and avoid the inconvenience of picking up and dropping of a rental.

It did not work for us. The girl that shopped for us was very nice and was doing her best but we were doing a very large order to be delivered at 8pm. Many items were out of stock so there was constant texting back and forth while she did our shopping. We had meals planned for 6 people for a week so the plans were being thrown off on the fly. Example, no lettuce meant no lettuce for salad for dinner or sandwiches for lunch. So if we don't have lettuce, we don't need as many tomatoes, onions, peppers etc. We also had soy and dairy allergies to deal with and didn't know the American brands as well so it was hard to substitute quickly. The order was late, again didn't blame the shopper. She started texting just after 6pm and finally delivered around 930pm, we skipped bell services and loaded the groceries to our room ourselves. We were racing to get done before the fireworks at 10pm. My daughter who was the one texting felt like she couldn't do anything until the order came. In her words "never again".

For the original poster, a lot of our experience will likely not apply to you, but I'm not sure you'll save money using this method. The prices on Instacart are inflated (we were clear about that ahead of time, it's on their site) and then tipping shopper and driver. In our case we were using them so that we wouldn't lose half a day of vacation getting groceries, in the end we lost half a day anyway.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter