Ordering off menu at dinner?

My husband had Indian food on our first cruise. He didn’t like anything on the menu and our waiter suggested it. He said that a lot of the crew like eating it so they always have a lot of it on hand. It’s not something you need to preorder or think they are going out of their way to make.

No, that is their food. They only make a limited amount of it. And they are not allowed to eat the guest food. That would be taking food out of their mouths.
Why so serious? It was a joke.

But I have heard firsthand of Filipino crew sharing their food with Filipino guests. Wasn’t on DCL.

But I have heard firsthand of Filipino crew sharing their food with Filipino guests. Wasn’t on DCL.
I believe that "And they are not allowed to eat the guest food. " is not correct also. Technically. They can't eat it in the public areas, within view of the guests, but they certainly can accept gifts of "guest's food" to be eaten behind the scenes.

Of course, there are times when DCL CMs have permission to dine in the dining rooms with family, also.

If someone feels iffy due to sea sickness rather than a bug, I'm sure the kitchen is used to accommodating that.

Can you ask for whatever the crew is eating? I’ve heard that’s some of the best food on the ship!
That is definitely not true. Like on any other cruise line, passengers get the best food! Crew get the worst, then staff and then officers get good food too, but passengers trust me have the best choices!

Off the menu does not seem to matter, I once mentioned to the concierge that my favorite desert keylime pie. Every night I was supplied with a whole keylime pie. I ended up sharing my pies with others around me and they were thrilled. I also only have steak for dinner. I am a picky eater but the rest of my family loves to try everything. Of course I know the wait staff has to go out of their way for this so for their inconvenience, I make it up to them with a larger tip.

No one wants to make things hard on the crew, but you have to take your cues from them as well.

When we cruised, my wife was abstaining from dairy and gluten. It wasn't hard for her to find choices on the regular menu for meals, but when it came to dessert, she was mostly stuck. She was going to go without dessert, but the waiter pressed her (gently). Did she like fruit, for instance? She said she did, and so he asked her what kinds. Over the course of the week they provided her with many varieties of fruit for dessert (sometimes whole, sometimes cut, depending on the fruit). Always enough for the whole table to try some. They encouraged her to ask for different kinds of fruit. If they didn't have it or if it was in short supply, they were honest about it (and polite) and she would pick something else.

They did it with such cheer and enthusiasm that I really don't think we were inconveniencing them. She felt special, and we all got some variety.

So I'd say be polite, be prepared if they say no or if they suggest an alternative, but by all means tell them how you are feeling and ask them if there are other options.

You may be pleasantly surprised!

Last edited:

It did not look like a joke, maybe a indication of humor would help. I don't think that people should be asking for crew member's food. The cruise line goes to great lengths to get you amazing food. The crew galley only makes a certain amount of food to limit waste. Talk to the cast members on the ships, I have. They will tell you what they serve in the crew areas, it is a lot of rice and Asian food because that is where most of the crew is from.

Last edited:
It did not look like a joke, maybe a indication of humor would help. I don't think that people should be asking for crew member's food. The cruise line goes to great lengths to get you amazing food. The crew galley only makes a certain amount of food to limit waste. Talk to the cast members on the ships, I have. They will tell you what they serve in the grew areas, it is a lot of rice and Asian food because that is where most of the crew is from.
Someone lost her funny bone.

I am not suggesting or advocating that anyone should ask for crew member’s food.

I’ve heard firsthand of a Filipino crew member voluntarily bringing food to a Filipino guest. The guest found it head and shoulders better than the dining room food. Wasn’t DCL.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter