• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Orlando area hurricane this weekend?

gatechfan99

Mouseketeer
Everything changes by the hour sometimes, but looks like new projections today are that Hurricane/TS Dorian could head to Florida this weekend and come pretty close to crossing over the Orlando area. Could also keep heading NW and impact the I-75 area for people leaving on Monday. We're supposed to come down Fri-Mon. Anyone else worrying or am I just too cautious? Obviously, we have to give it another 2-3 days for sure. I hate to have a short time at the park made even shorter by tropical weather, but I'm also worried about difficulty driving back home to Alabama on Monday.

Too early to be concerned, very likely minimal to no impact. Have a Plan B if it stays on its current track, but it almost certainly won’t. Welcome to Florida in August and September.

The updates today are not looking too good for Florida, but it's so difficult to pinpoint these things! If I had a trip this weekend I would be nervous.

Things shift. Just keep an eye on things. We had to cancel our trip the year Maria went up the middle of Florida. She hit Orlando the after we were supposed to arrive. parks were closed for 2 days. Glad we skipped. We made the call 3 days prior to our arrival date to cancel.

Hoping if Mother Nature does decide to do a "power wash" I've already made it down and safely in the World.
It's one of the hazards of early fall in Florida.

This is really worrying me! I’m crossing my fingers and holding my breat and we’re the following weekend. 😩 But if it effects us personally it could cancel our trip. 😭

We arrive Thursday and leave Monday. The forecast will change repeatedly over the next few days. It will all work out. For people who are driving, prepare to take an extra day so you can stay off the roads if necessary.

We're supposed to arrive Sat - Mon, just a quick trip for the food and wine festival. We are prepared to cancel if it keeps on the current path, but if so, hoping airlines will waive the change or cancel fees. Ugh terrible timing of this storm.

We were there for Matthew in 2016. We packed rain gear and resigned ourselves to the fact we were going to get wet. They did close the parks and we had to shelter in place at our resort one night. Disney did a fabulous job of keeping the guests informed. I must say if you have to ride out a hurricane in Florida, on Disney property is the place to be! I highly recommend getting snacks, drinks, adult beverages(if you are so inclined), sandwiches, salad, fruit, and ice early! The only problem we had was getting dinner in the food court the evening they closed the parks early. Truly wall to wall people! Took my hubby a couple hours just to get us a pizza! I had gone to the QS early in the morning and stocked our frig for the next day before heading to the parks, best decision ever! Just keep an eye on the forecast, prepare, and have a fabulous trip!

Last edited:
Last year there was a light storm and we had an empty park on Monday (Labor Day). I’m kinda crossing my fingers it may keep some local crowds away!

Looks like a wet week in general. I grew up in Central Florida, so I guess I'm desensitized, but this isn't a cancel your vacation level storm. You'll lose a day of activity tops.

Looks like a wet week in general. I grew up in Central Florida, so I guess I'm desensitized, but this isn't a cancel your vacation level storm. You'll lose a day of activity tops.

Yes. Its not even a hurricane yet. And even if it does reach hurricane status it will probably drop to a storm again before getting to Orlando and as it comes up the coast. Our trip is still on with our ponchos.

Ugh I am nervous this will be a wash out! We arrive Thursday evening and supposed to fly out Monday. Wonder how this is all going to impact the SWGE opening. Not looking very good! Should be right over Florida by Sunday!

For weather-geeks, or other interested, here's an in-depth video analysis of the possibilities.

To summarize, as it stands now, it's still a "small" storm that faces several hurdles that may yet kill it or keep it relatively weak. The more of Haiti and the Dominican Republic that it hits, the more it will be weakened further or die. It's not currently projected to reach hurricane strength, but that might happen if it misses Haiti and the Dominican Republic and makes it out into the wetter air north of there fully intact. Tomorrow will be the day that, per the video I linked, the storm will reach a fork in the road and we'll have a better idea of where the things is headed and how strong/weak it's likely to be.

We're arriving Thursday and departing Monday, so we're packing the rain gear!

Last edited:
I'm packing ponchos and flip flops. Dorian is not keeping me from my Simba and Minnie magnets!:flower:
This! We head out on the 6th, so well after it comes through (if it does) and unless our flight were to be cancelled we will pack our rain gear and head out! Now, I wouldn't mind having to extend on the end if things got froggy while we were already there! :P

Last edited:
Just released update shows it making landfall a little southeast as a TS Sunday morning and then heading pretty close to Orlando after. I guess I could see the parks close for a few hours on Sunday or at least a lot of the rides, but not sure that would prompt cancelling a whole trip.

The biggest worry would be if it’s 30-40 mph stronger than currently predicting and could still be hurricane strength in Orlando.

On the flip side, if projections are off and it landed about 50 miles higher up the coast, I doubt it would be more than just a rainy day in Orlando.

Orlando is plenty inland to be severely affected by a TS. Its still too early, but I would just expect rain . It really depends on how wide the storm is.

Orlando is plenty inland to be severely affected by a TS. Its still too early, but I would just expect rain . It really depends on how wide the storm is.
We've had worse afternoon thunderstorms than some of the tropical storms.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter