Orlando World Center Marriott or SpringHill Lake Buena Vista

mmbrad02

DIS Veteran
I had previously posted about another hotel that didn’t get great reviews, so I’m back to the drawing board again…

I haven’t done an offsite visit to Orlando since I was a small child, and I’m trying to figure out the best lodging options. DH is going to a conference in Orlando in June at the Orange County Convention center. We have a list of “approved” hotels, but the list is shortened now by availability. DD (age 7) and I are planning to tag along with him and Uber ourselves to Disney, have some pool time, etc while he is busy learning J I think I’ve narrowed it down to two options based on our options:

Orlando World Center Marriott

OR

SpringHill Suites Lake Buena Vista in the Marriott Village

Originally when I saw the World Center resort, I was like “That’s the One!’. It seemed close to Disney, lots of amenities, etc. It seemed like something we would never book on our own. But on the flip side, it seems SO big and expansive, and a touch formal based on the pictures. I don’t want DD and I to be exhausted just trying to get to our Uber car each morning, you know? Or forever getting lost just navigating around the hotel. I don’t anticipate using their shuttle to Disney, but I also understand it’s not free, even if we wanted to try that route.

The Springhill seems very nice to me just based upon pictures and reading. The pools look nice for DD and to enjoy, and I like (based on reading) that it’s close to the outlets and Walmart and so forth. It’s shuttle is also complimentary.

If we are using Uber, and DH is in an approved hotel providing him shuttle to his conference each day, I don’t suppose location truly matters, but if one is in a better location based on safety, restaurants, etc that would be good to know. Another thing I’m trying to weigh in on is after DH’s conference ends we plan to stay around Orlando a few more days. It is unknown yet if we would stay at the conference hotel or relocate, but the World Center one is a bit too much for us to pay OOP for, plus resort fees, etc. We could afford it but if I’m paying those prices I would rather move onsite to Disney I think.

@mmbrad02 We've stayed at the Courtyard in the Marriott Village and liked it. It's a pretty busy area, but within walking distance to many restaurants. There's a food court area at the Courtyard Marriott too.

Stayed at both as I am a rewards member for many years.

The World Center resort's pool, made the decision easier for future off-site, Marriott based visits. It is a magnificent pool and grotto!

Marriott Village is too busy with automotive traffic for my liking. I couldn't relax and never felt like it remotely was a resort (nor was it intended to be).

The World Center is incredible. Great pools and restaurants. I believe they also have a big arcade for kids. It has more of a corporate/conference feel to it, but I stayed there when i was a kid, and really liked it. There aren't many drawbacks.

Thanks everyone! We finally booked our hotel last night - we are staying at the Orlando World Center! I am so excited! The Springhill ended up being booked for the dates we needed, which obviously helped the decision, but with DH's conference pricing, we couldn't resist trying the World Center. It looks fabulous and I can't wait for DD and I to enjoy our time there!

Thanks everyone! We finally booked our hotel last night - we are staying at the Orlando World Center! I am so excited! The Springhill ended up being booked for the dates we needed, which obviously helped the decision, but with DH's conference pricing, we couldn't resist trying the World Center. It looks fabulous and I can't wait for DD and I to enjoy our time there!

I can hear your excitement, have a wonderful trip!!! pixiedust:

We frequently stay at the Marriott Sabal Palms, which are the timeshare condos behind the World Center and we have spent a lot of time at the World Center pool. You’ll love it!
As you go out of the resort road and turn right, you’re on Epcot Center Drive and only a few minutes from Epcot so it’s super convenient.
Have fun!

The Marriot World Center is lovely and the pool area is fabulous. I think you will really enjoy it. I totally understand your previous dilemma as awesome four star resorts like the World Center have great but pricey restaurants and everything is more expensive. Somewhere like the Springhill suites is perfectly nice, very affordable, etc. but not nearly as special.

I think it's fun to do something like the World Center with work paying for it / conference pricing etc. Enjoy!

I know this is an old post but just wondering what OP thought of World Center. I’m debating booking an upcoming stay...

I’m not the OP, but my husband had a conference held there years ago before our kids were born. We stayed an additional week after the conference to take advantage of the rate. We loved it, the dining options and especially the pool, theres also an actual Starbucks in the lobby. We always stay onsite at WDW, but I would definitely stay here again if looking for offsite options.

Stayed there in February, I have to say I wasn't that impressed to be honest. The rooms were very basic and the bathrooms appeared more like run of the mill 'motel' style as opposed to higher end finishes. The amenities were great, the pool, the food court downstairs, and the amount of options onsite was also very good. Parking was awkward, they utilize a parking garage that uses a shuttle bus to take you too and from the hotel. Not the end of the world, but definitely an issue if you are constantly coming and going. Getting in to the main drop off was also tough at times depending on time of day. You can park around the back in a smaller parking lot that is closer to the hotel, but this is often full and when it isn't there are issues getting in as you have to pre-authorize the room key to get in. Most people don't know this so they sit there for 10 minutes trying to figure out how to get in!

The breakfast and food choices were good and we chose it as its more of a 'resort' style feel with everything you may need in one place, which is good as it can be a jaunt getting to places from its location. It wasn't necessarily cheap either, but I wouldn't say it was a bad experience, just not living up to the expectations that it is a highly rated hotel and the pricing structure. We did get some good deals on 'convention' tickets there for access after 4pm and the like.

I stayed at World Center for a couple nights for a convention (kids with me). It's beautiful and although big, actually pretty easy to navigate. The pools are amazing. My only advice would be to check their convention schedule so you can be prepared if there is a large event happening while you are there. I was part of it so it didn't bother me, but if I was staying there to visit Disney and found myself in a sea of convention goers, I would not have wanted to be blind-sided by it on arrival.

Can someone clarify the resort's shuttle to DisneyWorld? One poster seemed to indicate there is a fee for the shuttle.
Wondering if Uber/Lyft makes more sense in terms of early arrival at parks, etc.? I will be there for a conference in the fall and wondering how easy it may be to duck out to the parks when conference allows. Thanks.

When we were there, there was a fee and you had to pre-book the shuttle. We had rentals so used that instead, if I didn't have a car I would definitely Uber instead! You will also be able to purchase 'conference' tickets that will be a little cheaper if you go in after 4pm etc... so defo look into it.

According to the Marriott website, transportation to Disney World is included in the $30/night resort fee.

GUEST RESORT FEE INCLUDES:
• Enhanced in-room wireless internet for up to 6 devices
• Daily scheduled shuttle service to Disney Parks for up to 4 guests
• Nightly scheduled shuttle service to Disney Springs for up to 4 guests
• Daily credit for up to 2 pieces of clothing per room towards dry cleaning (credit is not cumulative through stay)
• Daily bucket of practice balls at the driving range
• 15% discount on retail pricing for spa services (excludes merchandise)
• 15% discount off retail green fee rates
Link (note: pdf file): https://www.marriott.com/hotelwebsites/us/m/mcowc/mcowc_pdf/mcowc-pdf-resort-fee-flyer.pdf
PDF link comes from hotel home page (under highlights): https://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/mcowc-orlando-world-center-marriott

Sorry, OP here, I didn't realize anyone had posted on this thread!

When we were there June 2018, shuttles to Disney parks were free. Maybe we had something tied to DH's conference, but I don't recall that, and DH didn't even go with us. I had planned to Uber with my then 7 year old to Epcot while my husband was in his conference, but we ended up deciding to take the bus since it was more of a leisure park day for us anyway. I believe they run once an hour, and it was a little bit of a hike to the bus stops, but certainly not unmanageable. My husband was shuttled to his conference too (it was not onsite) so he was able to show us the night before directly where to go. You did have to register for your shuttle and have a ticket to hand over to the bus driver. Not a huge issue, but some had come and hadn't registered and had no ticket. You do stop at all 4 Disney parks which can be a bit of a hassle. I think ours was the third stop that morning and I certainly felt like the clock was ticking faster than the bus was moving :) So overall the shuttle depends on what type of day you want to have. They do return pick up maybe every hour, but I was thinking it was more like every 2 hours because DD and I almost missed the return for the one I was planning to go back on and I was dreading re-entering the parks and waiting again (just cause we were both tired by that point)

We did not drive, so I have no experience with the parking. We uber'd to/from the resort. That worked smoothly for us.

We really enjoyed the resort, but we were not paying for the nights we had there, so keep that in mind. When we checked in, they saw that DH had brought his family, saw our daughter, and automatically said "Oh you need a fireworks view" and upgraded us to free. It was nice to sit on our balcony at night and watch the fireworks (ironically my 7 year old was the least interested in it of the three of us). We loved the pool area - lots of chairs with umbrellas and slides and a kids area, etc. At night it's lit up beautifully and they have a laser show with music. I truly loved the view of all that and it definitely gave it a lovely resort feel.

If I had any complaints, it is the cleaning service. The first day they never came at all. The second day, it was well late into the afternoon. And it felt like it took a while, because it happened to coincide with DD and I finishing swimming and we were really just wanting to go back and relax. However we saw them in our hallway and I really wanted our room cleaned up so we went back out and enjoyed some of the public waiting space, and we checked in 2-3 more times till our room was finally cleaned. I also remember because of the lack of cleaning service, having to find a place to dump our trash after the first day because the cans were small and overflowing. Could I have called the front desk and remedied this? Sure. I did not, but just passing it along. I agree with a PP that the inside of our room wasn't terribly special, and our bathroom area seemed a little dated, but nothing terrible, and the outside grounds made up for it, to me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter