• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

OT - 3yo clenches his fists

dismom2005

Mouseketeer
I would like to just chalk this new behavior up to just being quirky, but my just turned 3yo son is starting to clench his fists while playing with toys and picking things up like his cup. He doesn't do it all the time, and he's not angry while doing it. I catch him with his hands open and using his fingers, but he knows that he's doing it and other people like his babysitter and family are starting to notice.

Anyone else go through this with their 3 year old? I don't want to make too much of the behavior on the hope that it'll go away, but obviously i'm a little concerned that it means something more.

Does he have any other 'quirks'? My younger boy has sensory issues and is a late talker, so if he was doing that I might be concerned (but honestly, probably not). But if your son seems to be fine in all other areas, I wouldn't worry about it. Kids do weird stuff, lol.

I remember when my brother was a toddler (I'm 6 and a half years older), he would grab one of my fingers and clench his fist around it all the time. Guess it was his way of holding hands?

Does he have any other 'quirks'? My younger boy has sensory issues and is a late talker, so if he was doing that I might be concerned (but honestly, probably not). But if your son seems to be fine in all other areas, I wouldn't worry about it. Kids do weird stuff, lol.

my nephew (just turned 2 in late august) also has sensory issues and is a late talker. He popped into my head when i read OP's post. He's getting early intervention now, and his vocabulary is already expanding wonderfully. we're all very happy w/ his progress. He also does a shoulder up/down thing sometimes, walks on his toes a lot, and does the fist thing. just other stuff to look at.

My DD started this suddenly when she was about 2 1/2. We determined it was anxiety related.

One thing to look for: Do his hands unclench when he's sleeping? If not, then take him to see his pediatrician. DD was going in for a well-child check up shortly after she started doing this so it was perfect timing to talk to her ped. about it. That was the question he asked. He said if they remained clenched when sleeping, he'd want to send her for some sort of testing (metobolic and neurological). But since she would relax them when sleeping, it was an anxiety issue.

It was really bad for a few weeks, then gradually faded away. There were other anxiety-related behaviors that took the place of the clenched fists. The one I'm still dealing with is chewing on her hair.

Step nephew with OCD tendencies would use his wrists, elbows or the backs of his hands to touch things. He was "afraid" to get his fingers dirty or germy.

My DS7 still does that when he hands are messy and he doesn't want to get his messy hands on whatever it is he is touching.:confused3 The fists keep the mess inside. Possibility?

Thanks for the replies - My older son was a late walker/talker but my 3 yo seems to be right on course if not ahead in vocabulary, etc for his age. He does unclench his fists when he's sleeping, so as many of you mentioned it seems to be some sort of forced behavior or sensory issue and knows it's causing a reaction from us.

I'll keep my eye on it and if it keeps up i'll bring it up with his doctor. Thanks again!

Our 2yo does the same thing. I noticed her doing it a week or two ago when she would pick something up and not open her hand or just walk around with her hand clinched. She would open it if I asked her to. I was concerned and called our pediatrician and she said it is pretty normal. It's a new feeling they have discovered and would probably stop after a while, once the feeling isn't new anymore. She was right, DD would clench her fist and then want me to wipe her hand because it was sweaty for about 2 weeks, but she has stopped doing it in the last day or to. Hope this helps ease your mind!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter